Some thoughts on AI processing and M43.....

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
think not, Angus. After 40+ years as both a participant and observer, I have very healthy skepticism about these claims

With respect you're afraid of cloud computing and upgrading your computer to Windows 10. You can't expect technology to move ahead if you don't move with it.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
With respect you're afraid of cloud computing and upgrading your computer to Windows 10. You can't expect technology to move ahead if you don't move with it.
I'm not "afraid" of anything, Angus. I have good reasons for everything I do. This is an argumentum ad hominem, not a rational examination of the facts, or the other matters raised (engineering, legal, ethical 'issues').

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I think many of the ethical and legal issues related to these things have been discussed, at least in the media I follow. Sadly, the answers haven't really been fleshed out. I happen to think the legal issues are pretty straightforward: if you build/sell a car that is defective, you're responsible for any losses caused by that defect. No difference between a bad braking system and a bad autonomous driving system. Whether the legal system will actually implement this common sense is separate issue.

The more difficult issue is how one would define "defective". Is an autonomous vehicle defective if it actually performs much better than the average driver, even if it fails occasionally? The car manufacturers will fight hard to limit their liability.

And for the record, I am hardly "afraid" of new technology. I spent my career building it. I just have an experienced view of the challenges inherent in implementing structural changes based on new tech - which leads to caution, especially when lives are at stake.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
@bassman I was also referring to how to program the autonomous vehicle with the ability to selectively break the law when necessary, and how to limit this behaviour.

Almost every driver can do these very complex things without a second thought.

Agree. The edge conditions for AVs (and many other human behaviors) are the toughest. What does it do if a pedestrian is standing in a crosswalk off the curb and not moving (in some states you must stop, but not others)? What if they never move, are you stuck? How about a car inching forward out of a driveway? Can you swerve across a double yellow line to go around a tractor going 5 mph?

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Agree. The edge conditions for AVs (and many other human behaviors) are the toughest. What does it do if a pedestrian is standing in a crosswalk off the curb and not moving (in some states you must stop, but not others)? What if they never move, are you stuck? How about a car inching forward out of a driveway? Can you swerve across a double yellow line to go around a tractor going 5 mph?

2020 was supposed to have millions and millions of autonomous driving cars on the roads, with the drivers relaxed or sleeping behind the wheel on their regular drive. Instead you have: "autopilot" modes where you're not allowed to use them in dangerous conditions, dangerous conditions retroactively defined as anything that made the autopilot crash. Manufacturers wondering aloud if it's better to simply redesign all existing roads to eliminate unforeseen circumstances and have the cars drive as if on rails, similar to some other mysterious invention. Ridesharing companies boosting their miles-driven-under-autopilot metrics by simply switching off all the safety protocols and hoping for the best, and shrugging when people get run over.

It's one of those things where it's not simple rosey optimism from the proponents anymore, it's active denial of the fact that it didn't work out.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Regarding the original post - I like what the software has done, but I don't like how it has changed the face shape. The 'edit' has lost the gaunt appearance.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
I think the edit is stunning - it's very clever stuff.

Ears look like they've been harvested from a cadaver though - but easy enough to fix.
Ahh.. the ears.. o m g?

I was pointing out that (based on the two images and in my opinion) the chin seems to be wider, the jaw wider and slightly rounder, the eyes have been made rounder, the bottom lobe of the left ear has changed.. (And by the Lobe, I don't mean that 'brit-villian' from Freakazoid ;) )

It is still 'witchcraft and magery' how the software has been able to 'almost fix it' though..

Latest threads

Top Bottom