Some thoughts about the Canon 5D

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by kevinparis, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I was visiting the Netherlands this weekend, in particular Arnhem, where they were celebrating/remember the battle fought there in WW2.

Instead of my regular micro 4/3 camera I thought I would give my 5D Mk2 a try. I bought this camera about 2 years ago, and had never really used it that much outside the house.

my conclusions from the exercise...

1) I have missed the camera to the eye experience - my next micro 4/3 camera will have to have a VF

2) Yes it is big and heavy

3) The autofocus can get confused with distant low contrast objects

4) Full frame does give a very different look to micro 4/3

Not radical conclusions... but I will be keeping the 5D for a while anyway...just because it allows me to take different photos,

Watching by kevinparis, on Flickr

more here

Arnhem 2011 - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nice DOF K. (It is heart warming to see France respect and appreciate the sacrifices made by foreign countries in their behalf.)

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I love some of the shots in the set Kevin. This was my favourite:

Interflora | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I must've become indoctrinated by smaller sensors though, because I actually found a few of the backgrounds to be too blurry, lol.
  4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks gary and lucky.

shallow dof on a full frame is very seductive.. and tricky too... back in the days of film I couldn't afford such fast lenses... think fastest I had back then was a 50/1.8.

all these shots were either using the 24-105/4 or the 85/1.8... which is a very nice lens considering its price

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    You've summed it up! I sold my 5D classic just because with the body size, I didn't want to carry that anymore.

I also sold my EP3 partly because I really wanted a VF, and while the EP3 + VF2 is brilliant in use, I kept knocking the VF2 around and nearly off. So, I went back to my EP1 (and may get an EPM1) until Oly releases an inbuilt VF. I even thought about a G3, but I love Oly's IBIS and colors too much.

But boy do I miss FF! I bought a $50 Canonent range finder, just for FF goodness. The rendering, the bokeh (with the right lens), the tonal gradient. But just not at that size (or really that price).
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Stunning set I really like all the use of b&w. I have played around with my friends 5d with a 50/1.2 and 2.8 short zoom and it's very enjoyable. I agree that with your viewfinder comment and I will be doing the same with a future incarnation of a MFT body. Full frame DSLR cameras are great I just wish they were much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  7. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I'm a big fan of bokeh, but I'm not sure if it works here for me. I would like to see what this man is looking at; not just all blurred out.
  8. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Kevin, just pick up a 1DS or D3 with big glass and the 5D will feel nice and light!

Thanks for sharing the flickr link. Do you follow bike racing? (saw the Weylandt shots) If so, I was wondering if you're close enough to visit the world championships this week.
  9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

gary... you need to check your history.... this has nothing to do with France... the shots were taken in or near Arnhem... which is in the Netherlands.

It was the scene of arguably one of the biggest Allied mistakes of the war - The netherlands were not finally liberated until 8 months after this battle.. Yet the people of Arnhem still commemorate it every year, with parachute drops and military vehicle parades.

Local children 'adopt' a grave and lay flowers at a remembrance ceremony

Respect by kevinparis, on Flickr

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    point taken.... :)... they are parachutes :)

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My other half is the cycling fan... I don't even know where the world championships are. I am guessing that they aren't that close or else hints would have been dropped :)

If you are into cycling photos there are a bunch from the final stage of the 2009 tour de france here... shot with a 4/3 Camera....Oly E-510 and 50-200 lens

MobileMe Gallery

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia

Guys, if I could somehow sell you the EVF from my GH1 I would (you can't have the rest of the camera though).
  13. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Very Nice photo!!

I use a Canon 5D mk2 along side my GF1, and the GF1 really does produce images that dont look out of place next to the 5D.

Of course, the advantage of an optical viewfinder, beautiful high iso low noise images and gorgeous full frame sensor cannot be beaten, but for me im at the stage where I can have a compact and very high quality camera and not be worried about body upgrades at the moment. THe GF1 does everything I want it too and with the Panasonic 20mm and (eagly waiting) 45mm F1.8 I have the perfect walk around camera.
  14. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Great photos, Kevin.

I also use a 5DII in addition to my Panasonic m4/3 gear (GH2, G3, GF1 and G1) and always enjoy the change of pace going from one to the other.

As you mentioned, I also think the 85/1.8 is a great lens, notwithstanding its price.
  15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I'm with ya, Kevin. The 5DMkII is capable of producing images that m4/3 cannot match. I absolutely love my m4/3 gear, but the full frame sensor in the 5DMkII offers a dynamic range and DOF control that is unmatched by smaller systems.

I use my m4/3 gear for pretty much all of my personal and travel photography because it's size, weight, and capabilities are just wonderful for all of that. But for my commercial work and professional portraiture, the 5DMkII and L-lenses are just the ticket for me! Fantastic gear.
  17. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks for all the kind comments

its interesting that there seem to be quite a few of us here who use both micro 4/3 and Canon full frame.

When I was looking at a FF camera, the choice was between the Canon, Nikon and Sony. I went for Canon partly because of the video and partly because it offered the ability to use a wide range of legacy 35mm film lenses