Some street shots with my 45 1.8

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by toshiro, Apr 18, 2012.

1. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Great photos Noel!! Did you use face detection in any of these photos?
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Great, sharp images!

How do you find the 90mm equivalent when you need to "capture a scene"? It's great for "street portraits" for sure, but for shots involving, say, a group of people, do you have to "unfocus" using your legs? I'm very interested adding this lens for street photography, especially for lower light work, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  4. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    These are great, thanks for sharing!
  5. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, I use my legs a lot when the 45 is mounted :smile:

But at the end it depends on your social skills and shyness when shooting, if you don't mind getting close to the subjects I prefer classic focal lengths like 35 or 50. But you need to have the guts to shoot them "in your face".

For example, I took these pics with a 17 2.8, I really like the perspective and sense of proximity they trnasmit but I must admit they were really hard to shoot:

Economía sumerxida by on Flickr

Modern Girls on Flickr

Sweet Dreams on Flickr
    • Like Like x 4
  6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012

Thank you for the response! I see what you mean about POV, I have the same considerations too sometimes.

PS: BTW I made you a contact in Flickr and I really enjoy your photos. :smile:
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gee whiz mate, these photos are really amazing. This is my favourite focal length and not many street shooters here use this length. I love how the lens isolates a subject and somehow makes it more intimate.

Nice work on the processing. How did you achieve this effect?

8. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Smashin' shots and processing here.
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, that's really great stuff, particularly the walking accordian guy. I too prefer street shooting with lenses that require greater proximity (I go really wide with 24 or 28mm equivalents and mostly shoot from the hip from VERY close). But, as you show, longer focal lengths can work really well - you just have to adjust your approach. I did a couple with the 45 the other day as well. Here's one that I'm reasonably happy with. But its a TOTALLY different approach. One I don't enjoy as much, but it can be a nice change of pace:

<a href="" title="NYC 4/17/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"639" height="640" alt="NYC 4/17/12"></a>

10. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I do mostly out door, open spaces and close up, type photography. And I find that I am using the 90mm (equiv), range of lens more and more. The 45 is at the top of my list of "some day".
    Thanks, for this review.
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

U forgot me.. It's my fav lens and fav focal length ..
  12. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    Love "Modern Girls"