Some shots with Olympus Pen 60mm f/1.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mabelsound, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

All wide open on the E-P2 and adjusted for contrast. This is probably my favorite lens on this format.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Very good, do you have a shot of it mounted to your E-P2?

Cheers

Brian

3. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Hmm, no...got to snap one! I've got the hood, too, it's quite nifty looking.

4. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

This is what it looks like on the GF1, though

[​IMG]

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    mabel - I hate to call you mabel when my son is around, but no matter

Those are great, the almost unique (semi) OOF areas that certainly get your eyes wondering what is happening - don't get me wrong, I like them - but I have not seen the like of that bokeh before

there is a lot of discussion on the web, or the anorak forums, about bokeh at wide open f settings on lenses that effective become much longer because of the crop factor

i.e. is this the bokeh at 120mm @ f1.5 or is it 120mm at ??? or what

6. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

It's more like bokeh at 60mm f/1.5, then cropped--that's basically what the sensor is doing. Though this format was of course designed for half frame--about the same area as the 4/3 sensor.

I agree the bokeh is distinctive--that's much of what I like about the lens. handling is great, too. And by about f/4 this lens is very sharp--I feel as though the Pen lenses were overdesigned, back in the day.

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    but can the bokeh be the same as a 60mm f1.5 when the FOV is different even when a 120mm is cropped - Im not an expert in any way

8. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Sure, it's exactly as it was designed to be used! Like I said, even on the original Pen SLR, the negative was 18x24mm...these are practically native lenses. Bokeh's the same as my film shots...