Some quick questions regarding the EM-10...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dissembled, Jan 7, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I don't have the camera yet but hope to in the near future. I have some quick questions if you don't mind...

- How does one select and move the AF point around the screen using the directional buttons? What buttons do I have to press so I could use the directional buttons to move the AF points?

- Does selecting the AF point using the directional buttons permanently disable the functions mapped to those buttons? If so, then that's truly unfortunate.

- Is there an option that I can select so IBIS is on all the time, without having to half press the shutter button?

Thanks in advance.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I think the default setup is the left pointing arrow gives you the AF point grid. Once pressed then the directional pad is used for selection. Click OK and the other functions return to the buttons.

You can enable IBIS to always be running, I am pretty sure. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why you would need that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks a lot!

I wish for IBIS to be active even without half-pressing the shutter. Though I know that this will take its toll on battery life...

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    By default the four arrows immediately move the AF point, no need to press anything. You can change this so that the UP arrow enables the AF point selection and you can assign a few functions to other two arrows. There is a limited choice of functions though: shutter mode, flash setting, ISO, WB, not much more.

Check this out, even if it is the E-M5 version: http://omdem5.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/100percent-fn-button-master-list.jpg

I do not remember what the left arrow (no pun intended, I've always wanted to say that! :) ) is used for.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You have that the wrong way round. When the four way buttons are set to Direct Function the left arrow selects AF target & the up arrow selects what the dials already do, so a bit pointless. The down & right arrows are programmable (limited).

6. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Precisely. It is pointless to change it to direct functions. They should have given us more options to customise those arrow buttons. What a waste!

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not a waste at all! I am grateful I have that option as I have both my E-M5 & E-M1 with them set as Direct Function keys. For one, it is annoying if set to Focus Point selection only when you accidentally bump one of the buttons (usually the right one) & the Focus Point is not where it should be, plus it is very easy to press the left button first (for AF Target Selection & following with Info gives AF Target size or number; single, 9 or all) before adjusting with the others or dials (which is also quicker), plus you then also have those extra Fn keys (particularly appreciated on the E-M5 & E-M10). I have both the E-M1 & E-M5 down arrow key set to Drive Mode (even though the E-M1 has the top left buttons including it) & the default Flash Mode on the E-M1 & ISO on the E-M5 with both cameras being all the better for it in my view. The only pointless Direct Function key for me is the up arrow which selects Aperture & Compensation (if in Aperture Priority) as the wheels are already set for them anyhow, but it does allow those L/R & U/D keys to adjust those parameters as well as the dials (wheels).

8. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Maybe should feedback to Olympus and hopefully they will release a firmware that can do more customization to those buttons.