Some questions about the industar 69.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 4, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I wanted to pick up a Industar 69 from ebay but i have heard that by default it wont focus to infinity on micro four thirds. I have seen people take it apart to fix it but i would be worried to take it apart because i have lots of cat hair floating around my house that could get stuck inside the lens. My question is, is there another way to modify the lens for infinity focus, say by modifying the adapter? Also the ebay ads that i looked at all said the focus range went to infinity. I assume they just mean the max focus number on the lens is infinity. Anyways I was wondering if there was a way to fix the infinity focus without taking the lens apart? Thank you

2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I used to have one of these lenses, and I fixed the infinity focus by a combination of adjusting the focus of the lens by removing the focus ring (as per the instructions elsewhere on this forum) , but that only got me part of the way there. However, the adapter was a two part one, so I took the ring that the lens screws into out (its secured using 3 allen screws through the side) and sanded down the back of it until I could get infinity focus. So it may be possible to do all of the focus adjustment that way.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    what kind of tool did you use to sand down the back? is any power tools needed?

4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Some sand paper stuck on a flat surface, and rub the ring on it. Change the position of the ring periodically to avoid sanding it unevenly.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok, thank you

6. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It might be that some of them are modified by the seller - I bought mine a long time ago and don't remember doing any work to it - could be worth asking a few sellers if they have modified the lens to focus to infinity on m43?

7. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Interesting. Thanks for asking the question as I had an Industar 69 on my short list. Does anyone know if this also applies to other Industar lens such as the 50?

Thanks
    Andrew

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I am not 100% sure but all i know is that the industar 69 has this issue. I am pretty sure the industar 50 doesn't need to be modified.

9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Note that there is more than one "industar 50". The industar 50-2 is a M42 screw mount lens, and AFAIK doesn't require any modification, just a M42 adapter obviously. The Industar 50 is a L39/M39 mount (i.e. same as the industar 69) - not sure whether that requires modification.

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    in

oh i didnt know that. I know the camera the industar 69 was designed for (i forget the name), the lens was slightly closer to the film compared to other cameras with the m39 mount and this is why it has to be modified to achieve infinity focus on m43. However, i still don't if if its the case for the industar 50 m39 mount.

11. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    If you are talking about the Industar 50 that looks like this:
    P1230656_0001.JPG
    Then yes I believe you can use it with a L39/M39 adapter without modification and achieve infinity focus.

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The best sandpaper approach is to use wet/dry emery paper with an adhesive back and stick it to a sheet of glass to keep is flat.