Some questions about OM-D in video mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Apr 11, 2013.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I've been playing with video lately on the OM-D. I have come across a few things that are different then when shooting in stills mode.

1) In stills mode I have the Fn2 button set to magnify for manual focus. I can't seem to get that feature to work in video mode. In video mode I have focus set to S-AF + MF so I use AF at the beginning and then MF from there. The Fn2 button and the "red" button seems to activate S-AF during recording (which hunts unfortunately).

2) Is there a way to enable the histogram or the highlight/blinkies when in video mode?

3) Is there a way to turn off the LCD when in video mode? It does shut off when I put my eye to the EVF.

4) Are there any particular settings that you would recommend for using the OM-D for video? Touch focusing would be nice, although it seems not to be enabled for video.
  2. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    To answer your questions:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. Turn off auto evf in the menu and use the buttom to the right of the prism to switch to evf.
    4. In MF mode, you can use the Oly version of "focus peaking" while recording a video.

Other than that, the OMD EM5 offers no manual control while recording. Summed up, it's a child's toy for video. Before I bought the camera, I read it had full manual control, but now I see that it offers full manual control *before* shooting. Also, if you use a lens with manual aperture, you can't use IBIS. Nice one Olympus. It doesn't allow touch focus while recording either. However, it works on the cheaper PL5 camera, go figure. Actually the touch screen is completely disabled while shooting video.
    Bottom line: It's a nice camera for stills, and has nice video if you want to shoot kids, pets, or a little bit of holiday, but nothing more. To get the whole package, spend an extra $300 and get a real hybrid camera...the GH3.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The sad truth is the E-M5 is not a video camcorder or even that video friendly. As I have said on a dozen threads already video cameras hunt in AF, even $10k pro camcorders. This is why pros use manual focus for video production. The only thing the E-M5 has going for it with video is the 5-way IS.

#1 - I do not know of any video camera that has magnification as a focus assist, they generally use peaking for that. The reason is, it is impossible to frame a shot while magnified.
    #2 - I guess not on this camera although all pro and some other camcorders have what is called "zebra lines" which shows where the highlights are. Better cameras let you adjust how sensitive this feature is. I just checked and the GH does not have zebra either.
    #3 - already explained.
    #4 - I do know that the GH does allow touch focusing during video. This is a great feature being like an "electronic follow focus"
  4. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I figured that I had more or less explored most of what the EM-5 offered for video shooting. I'm mostly shooting kids and events so nothing major. I'm surprised that touch focusing works with in stills mode, I'm not sure why Olympus didn't implement it for video recording.

I use the camera mostly stills, although I am enjoying learning and shooting video. I was just looking for ways to better set exposure and focus when recording video. I'm happy with the EM-5, especially due to its size having recently downsized from Nikon DSLR.
  5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I am now using manual focus all the time as the other modes (including S-AF) are not very useful after recording starts.

I thought I saw some Canon hack (Magic Latern) with a histogram overlay in video mode. I am not sure how useful a small histogram would be anyway. I guess if I am setting up a shot I could take the readings in manual mode, and then switch the left dial to video recording to get the exposure better.

The touch focus in recording mode not being there seems strange as the functionality is essentially there due to touch focus in stills mode.

Do you need to save the video settings as a "MySet" or are they saved when switching to record mode using the left dial?
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My IBIS works fine with manual lenses. Must be a typo. Can't use auto ISO ... manual aperture or auto aperture.

I have not done much video but C-AF seems to work better than S-AF but I prefer manual focus anyway.
  7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    An update to this post.

You can enable the live histogram in video mode and it works in the EVF as well as in live view. It actually is quite helpful. I'm not sure what exposure mode the camera is in when in video mode as I don't think it can be changed (to spot/Center weighted).

Also you cannot enable magnification in video mode, but I have found that sometimes using the digital teleconveter can help with manual focus.
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    This is interesting to me, the Ibis . Could someone please confirm that Ibis works with legacy/ manual focus lenses ? I like to use them for low light video and it would be pretty huge feature for me.
    Thank you.