1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some pre-1950 Leica glass

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lawrence A., Apr 9, 2012.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Hi. Just thought I'd share these shots from two old Leica screw-mount lenses that I originally got for a IIIB. Shot these with the E-P2 and a 1946 90mm f4 Elmar or a 1949 135mm f4.5 Hektor. I find the look "film-like", but it may be my imagination. [​IMG]
    1949 Hektor

[​IMG]
    1946 Elmar 90

[​IMG]
    Elmar 90mm again

[​IMG]
    Hektor 135

[​IMG]
    Hektor

P4180590_8_cropped_copy.
    posted this one on "creamy bokeh" thread taken with 90mm elmar

• Like Like x 21
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Very nice. I love "old" glass. -chrome

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for sharing these, Lawrence! My oldest glass is a 1953 Jupiter-3, and I also find it to have a very unique, old-timey character to it. Since the invention of the "Pen Mini" it has also become one of my most used lenses, as it makes a very compact kit. ;)

4. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. I have some old voightlander prominent lenses from the 1950's. Can you advise on what type of mount I need to use these on my m43 body?

5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Hi Rusty: I can't find any information on a Voightlander Prominent to m4/3 adapter, but if I find anything out I'll post it.

Thanks all for your kinds comments.

6. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Excellent images there !

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The only adapters I know of, are to the Nikon S and Leica LTM mounts, about $300- each.

8. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I seem to have a taste for pre-multi-coated lenses. The 1932 50mm Elmar that came with the old Leica is uncoated and I don't use it much on the Pen bodies. The two listed here are the only others I have. But I did once have a 1950's Hasselblad with three lenses from the same era. Those lenses remain among my fondest photographic memories. I don't think more contrast in a lens is necessarily always a good thing. When I was shooting a lot of 4x5 I much preferred my older Schneider lenses to the brand new overly contrasty Fujinon, and assiduously avoided Nikon lenses said to require one to decrease development times because of their lauded increased contrast. Not a recommendation for me.

Of the lenses featured here, the 90mm is sharper. The 135 is really an ideal portrait lense in its characteristics, but a bit long for that purpose on a 4/3 sensor. But I like the creaminess of the tonal rendering it gives, even at the expense of a bit of very fine detail. And it lacks much contrast at all, making preserving shadow detail easy with it, though producing a rather bland out of camera raw file.

Oh! I should mention that all the images posted above were developed in Lightroom 4. Just as in film days, I consider that what the lens puts onto the photosensitive medium is just information that I can use to make a picture. I like the process.

• Like Like x 3
  9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Nice photos. I find that older uncoated lenses, are nicer for people shots, soften up harsh light and certain high contrast situations.

The more modern lenses with higher contrast work better when shooting wide open, especially at wider than f2 apertures.

• Like Like x 1
  10. spangler

spangler Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2011
    Buckinghamshire UK
    Andrew Heelis
    Thanks for sharing these images, I'm off to get an adaptor so I can use my old 90mm Elmar!

Andrew

11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    :thumbup:Definitely that film look, agreed. Seems like a smoothness to the photos. Maybe the AA filter blur of our EP2s couple with old glass is an AWESOME combo vs. the EM-5/45mm super sharp - pop quality.

Maybe there is still life in our EP2s after all.. now I'm really want to get some old 50-60s glass pancake prime for mine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I love my 90 Elmar on the E-P2, and look forward to using it on the E-M5. It's a perfect lens for micro 4/3; I love the feel and balance of it on the camera, the smooth focusing, with just the right amount of resistance, and that it's sharp. I have found a hood is essential, at least on my copy, but I love the results I get from it, both in color and black and white.

13. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    One more, from the 90mm Elmar. Still with the E-P2, but I got my E-M5 yesterday and hope to put up some samples with it and the old glass soon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I posted this in an EM-5 legacy lens thread, but figured I'd include it here, too, as I'd said I would get up some OM-D pictures taken with old Leica glass when I had them. Here's my dog, taken with the 90 mm Elmar ( I love that lens!) iso 3200 at 1/50 sec in quite dim light.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Father and Son (I think)

Shot with the Leitz LTM 90mm Elmar f4 that I am so fond of. Out of the window of the car while waiting in a parking lot.

[​IMG]

16. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    I found a prominent to Leica L39 M39 adapter. Can I couple that with an M39 to M43 adapter and actually use my awesome old voightlander lenses. Somebody please say yes!

17. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I wish I could help you definitively, but I'm not certain. I don't see any reason why not, but I'm no expert. The L39 to to m4/3 adapter is a pretty simple piece of hardware, so it would almost certainly get the lens mounted on the camera. Whether or not the multiple adapters would affect infinity focus or not, I'm not sure, but I don't think it should. I'd look for a more definitive response, though, before I spent good money.

Good Luck. I have a lot of fun with legacy glass.

18. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Another forum asked people to post their images taken with pre-WWII Leica lenses. I have only one, a 1932 uncoated, 50mm Elmar f3.5. Throwing it on the E-M5 and using it with flash I discovered it is sharper than I thought it was from using it outside, where stray light becomes an issue. The black and white image on the bottom (from a scanned negative), though, shows what it can do if the front element is fully shaded. The color shots are just, "let's see what we get" shots of no importance other than as lens tests, but I think they are revealing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    I finally purchased an adapter from yeenon, on eBay, which allowed me to use my 50mm f1.5 voightlander nokton (prominent mount)

I have been waiting to use this lens for several years now. THe results are not what I was expecting. The images are not sharp. image. image.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. rusty

rusty Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Also, here's what the adapted lens looks like on my em5. image.