Some Pen users are never satisfied

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rramesh, Dec 11, 2011.

1. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    That's why I'm currently eyeballing a PEN FT :wink:
  3. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    You can make a good point, but I don't know that this particular photo makes the point very well. The cat is stationary and on a high contrast surface, and yet the face is still a bit out of focus.

There are many great IPhone photographs, with several groups on Flickr, such as IPhone Camera Shots

Here's a nice interview on Eric Kim's excellent blog with IPhone street photographer Dominique Just from Switzerland.

I agree that there can be too much discussion of gear and not enough shutter snapping out there. But then again, if you are going to plunk down a grand for a camera and some decent lenses, it is fair to try and get the best fit for your needs.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hi Ramesh,

Many of us are aware of this, that its not the equipment, its the photographer. I've been using Pens for more than 2 years now (I purchase an EP1 in summer of 2009, and have used many other pens), and have been posting here for almost two years. Though I've not posted to any of the "what I want from m43" threads here recently, it's quite natural for people to find their limits with equipment after a while (I, for one, would like more DR and a Pen with an in-built EVF). It doesn't mean they are unhappy, but they are discussing where they'd like to see improvements. I think that's fairly natural, and the really cool thing is how overall respectful people are at mu-43 (try posting this same comment to and enjoy the responses!) I challenge you to NOT have suggested improvements after two years of use, lol!!!

Consider this: If everyone even only has one thing to change, when taken in aggregate, it will look like the whole board wants the whole camera replaced. But these are just single opinions aggregated into a false whole.

Anyway, happy shooting!
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not sure what the OP's point is supposed to be. If it's that the iPhone is even worse than any Pen, I won't argue. But if the point is that you can take good pictures with even worse sensors, then I have to take issue, because that's really not a good picture.

The cat's out of focus (although the asphalt looks pretty sharp), the highlights are blown, and detail is lacking.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I echo meyerweb on his/her points, plus it's not a good looking cat.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think it's more pointed to show off how GOOD the photos are out of our Micro Four-Thirds cameras, which I know many of us can attest to. ;)
  8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I agree with you. It's difficult not to find something that could be improved after two years use. That doesn't mean one is unhappy with his camera.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I go to the playground with my daughter, I feel sorry for this generation of kids who will grow up with really lame cellphone childhood photographs! Compared to my friend's Facebook pages with their kid photos, I unfortunately smoke each and every single one of them with my photos!

When one of them finally sees the light, I ask them their budget, how serious they want to get into photography and if they are interested in video. From that I either recommend a M43 camera or a DSLR. I also recommend they get one small prime like a 35 1.8 for Nikon or the 20mm 1.7 for M43 and I tell them to shoot on A mode and teach them the rule of thirds. From then on out, their pictures dramatically improve and they thank me for showing them the way to photographic salvation. True story! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Even on this forum, Jonathan F2, I thank you for showing me the way to photographic salvation. lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I thank you all for helping me sidestep Photographic Hell at times. :D
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow Jonathan.. U have taken words out of my mouth . I have a close friend and his wife gave birth to wonderful boy an year ago. I suggested him to buy a good camera because these memories r gonna last for ever .He said it's ok , we have a canon compact and my wife has iPhone . Fare enough .. But I delibrately left my old EPL1 with 20mm kit lens at his place.they used the camera for 2 months and could see the difference . They bought an EPL3 and hardly take any pics with iPhone or compact .
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Back when I was shooting Canon DSLR, a friend was using a point and shoot. Then I took some shots of her newborn, and showed her what could be done. Then she asked me to take shots at the christening. Then I sold her that camera and got a new one, lol.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You left your camera with them for 2 months? I'm sure you had another one, right? lol.
  15. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Pah! Only "single frame"! :mad: You'll never get a decent shot with that! :biggrin: :wink:
  16. Bhupinder2002

Hi Ned
    yes I had EPL1 and EPL2 at that time , plus Panny G2 and GH2 made a short visit at my home and left me soon Lol . I enjoyed this EPL1 + 20 mm combo very much .I wanted to prove a point that instead of buying a high end compact , just buy a decent cheap MFT body and couple it with a good prime and thats it.
  17. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Very nice of you...and I assume Olympus didn't send any of its money off-shore to remunerate you for your kindness :wink:

Seriously, that's a great story mate. You are a good friend for doing this, and they will surely thank you in the many years to come. Though don't leave your PL25 there once you get it...otherwise the wife may not thank you once GAS sets in!

Thanks for sharing.
  18. Bhupinder2002

Lol I went one step ahead and rang Olympus marketing department here in Australia.I asked them why I don't advertisement of hoardings of PEN series in Melbourne ?I told them I probably advertise PEN more than they do.But its true, Olympus is very poor at advertising.I think Oly and Panny should join hands and advertise MFT format aggressively specially when these cameras are available for less than USD 500 now.
  19. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm only 38, and my childhood photos fill one shoebox, less that I shoot in a typical month. And they don't look as good as my wife's iPhone photos of our kids :) It's all relative, even the kids with the iPhone photos are going to be much better documented then me and many of my friends were :)
  20. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    My wife gripes about the same thing, but for her, I think it's more of a middle-child syndrome thing since her older sister has many more childhood photos. :tongue:

My kids will have lots of images to share and pass down the generations. It's what drove me back into photography, and how I can justify to my wife why I spend so much time and money in the hobby.

What's interesting is that my family have become so used to seeing quality images, that they are now very picky and demanding. A photo taken with an iPhone or p&s just doesn't meet their standards. :biggrin: