Some OM-D E-M5 mii questions

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

I've been away from M43 for awhile (journeyed through Fuji (still have) then Canon (gone) then Nikon (still have)), but I picked up my OM-D E-M5 mii the other day and started using it, and I had some questions:

- How do I turn off the help (the windows that popup when in the menu)?
- I have it set in C-AF (with a 70-300mm). Is there a way to set the focus area (the green squares)? I can get a single square, and if I keep poking at the LCD I have been able to light all the squares, but is there way to set a smaller area?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT 1: Also once I set the focus area, is the boundary of that area supposed to light up when I have focus? Or does just the small square at the center light up?

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
While you are in the menu system, you can toggle the help display on/off by pressing the Info button.
Hi,

Ok, thanks - that worked to remove the help.

Does anyone know about the focus area?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does anyone know about the focus area?
I believe on your camera you get three choices. All, single, and "Grouped" which is a 3x3 area, Press any arrow key on the back to bring up the target screen. Push the INFO button then the up/down arrows to select which of the 3 you want to use, so in your case the 3x3 grouped targets. Hard press the shutter to select and then I think you can move the grouped targets around the screen with the arrow keys or simply sliding your finger around the back.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
I believe on your camera you get three choices. All, single, and "Grouped" which is a 3x3 area, Press any arrow key on the back to bring up the target screen. Push the INFO button then the up/down arrows to select which of the 3 you want to use, so in your case the 3x3 grouped targets. Hard press the shutter to select and then I think you can move the grouped targets around the screen with the arrow keys or simply sliding your finger around the back.
Hi,

AHH! I just found this page:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/olympus-vs-olympus/omd-em1-vs-omd-em5-mark-ii/

and in the Auto-focus section it says:

" Both cameras share the same AF points options: All-Target, 9-Group Target, Single Target and smaller Single Target. Both cameras work better when set to the smallest AF point. "

and if I do the steps you mentioned, it lets me choose one of the 4 target types (small single, single, 9 group target, and all target).

It seems like the "9 group" target is similar to the "group" focus mode in the Nikon D500?

Thanks!

Jim

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

Sorry I have one more question: How do you switch to Live view (seeing via the LCD)?

I found info in the manual, but it says to press the button (on top), but when I press that, the only thing that happens is that the focus grid selection in the SCP turns yellow.

Thanks,
Jim

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How do you switch to Live view (seeing via the LCD)?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
I have already tried pressing that. The only thing that happens when I do that is that the "focus" section in the SCP turns yellow while I hold that button down and then when I release that button, the yellow color disappears.

The SCP remains on the LCD, and I cannot get live view on the LCD.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

BTW, I have also tried a Full Reset in the Menu - still same problem.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
I think I found something: If I set EVF Auto Switch to OFF, then I can see Live view through the LCD.

HOWEVER, then the EVF stops working and even pressing that top button doesn't make the EVF work, i.e., only can see through back LCD.

If I change EVF Auto Switch back to ON, then the SCP appears on the back LCD, and I can view through the EVF. But again, I can no longer see live view through the back LCD.

I don't know if that helps?

It seems like something should make the SCP appear on the back LCD, but then the SCP would timeout and allow the live view through the back LCD, but for some reason the SCP is never timing out???

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The only thing that happens when I do that is that the "focus" section in the SCP turns yellow while I hold that button down and then when I release that button, the yellow color disappears.
In the "B" gear menu, under Button/Dial/Lever, what is Fn3 set to be?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is it possible the reset did not reset?
I know I always, have to reset the ok button twice, before the reset actually works.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
The problem your having, is exactly the same as I had, couple weeks ago. The reset sorted it.

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
In the "B" gear menu, under Button/Dial/Lever, what is Fn3 set to be?

Hi,

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!! The Fn3 was set to something other than the default - I think it was set to Home or [...].

I changed it back to the icon of the "screen" and now if I hit Fn3 it toggles live view and SCP on the LCD.

Thanks for all of your help!

Jim

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I thought so and as @Bushboy mentioned, if that was still assigned to something else, then your "Full" reset didn't work (or you instead did a "basic" reset which retains that setting). So if you did want to reset everything you might want to try the Full reset again.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
And enter the reset twice, or it won’t work... lol
Nicely spotted PakkyT.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom