1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some Oly FL-50R Questions...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Aqualung, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    I pulled the trigger on an Oly LF-50R...lot of money but based on some of the comments in my thread and elsewhere...I decided to go for the 50R.

Just got it and have a few questions:

1. pg. 18 of the manual seems to suggest that FP is preferable for shooting outside instead of TTL AUTO....anyone agree?
    2. pg. 30 of the manual, "Flash cable"...do I really have to change this setting when using the cable? Coming from the SB-800 I haven't had to do this. Will I do harm/lose functionality if I don't change the setting and use a cable?
    3. pg. 44 says "up to 10 successive full flashes are permitted...flash should not be used for at least 10 minutes"...I'm wondering if a) there isn't a built-in thermostat or b) have people hit this wall?

So far, I miss the quick lever of the SBs and boy the flash head zoom is noisy as it adjusts.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    1. No, it's just an option for certain conditions where the standard TTL may not perform optimally or the way that you want it to perform. I had this happen on the weekend where the background was well lit and the subject was in shadow and in TTL mode, the camera decided not to fire the flash.

2. I have CLP on and it doesn't appear to make any difference if I use the off-camera cable.

3. The 10 flashes is only a recommendation, I'm pretty sure you can go higher, but at the risk of damaging the flash tube and whatever else internally.

Yes, the flash head is a bit noisy.

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Great, thanks...

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I think the manual is overly cautious and believe the manual states somewhere 10 successive full flashes at 1 sec intervals - which you can only attain that if using a high voltage battery of some kind. When I first got the FL-50R several times I tried 20 consecutive full flashes about 1.5 sec apart without a problem. But after the warranty expired I have not needed to do that in the last five years.

No wall or controlling thermostat that I could tell.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    Good info, thanks...I didn't realize the FL-50R was that old...the annoying LED light on the 600 drove me to the 50...

6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Yes the light on the 600R is really annoying. The only reason to use the 600R is the remote commander function.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gaffer tape = fixed!

8. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    A lot cheaper than the FL-50 :)