1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some of our critters

Discussion in 'Nature' started by RobWatson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My wife runs a mobile petting zoo and we have all kinds of critters running about. I thought I'd share a few. I think I'll use this thread to deposit more of our critter photos as they come. Fell free to show your critters too.

The gecko has wobbly eyes. Feeding time gets him pretty active.

LookingAtMe.

The Crested gecko agrees with my general maxim that 'more is better' - particularly in the horn dept.

3HornBetterThan1.

One of our tortoises it very active and seems to like being photographed.

TortLowViewStare.

Except for the tortoise I used the E-P1+Nokton 25mm F0.95 inside with fairly low ambient lighting. I never met a critter that liked a flash.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Great creature post!

Alan

3. RobWatson

Gecko? Not ...

Oops ... the gecko is actially a cameleon! They change you know ... that's my excuse anyway.

Crested gecko is not either! Also a cameleon.

I better ask my wife ....

Alright. Panther cameleon is the super colorful one. The ability to change color is astounding and the range and intensity of the coloration is very wide.

The one with the horns is a Jackson cameleon. This one is new for us we not too many coloration displays just yet.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks for those Rob.
    Do you have any more of the first two with more in focus? I find the lack of chameleon's nose and the horn on the horned one are actually distracting as they are out of focus but still part of the important bit of the picture...

5. RobWatson

Curiously, despite the seeming readiness at hand of the critters they are often not available for photos as our schedules do not overlap so much these days. I promise to revisit this thread with many morephotos of our critters.

6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I was just about to say they looked more like chameleons! They're handsome little buggers either way.

7. RobWatson

More critters

New frogs in the house. Funky almost pastel green.

GreenFrog-1.

Little Marigold the Bearded Dragon. Quite a scamp and always escaping.

Marigold-1.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Flagg

Flagg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Apeldoorn, Netherlands
    Nice photo's.

I find the turle remarkebly sharp, no motion blur whatsoever, very high shutterspeed I imagine. :wink:

9. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    This one is from our garden pond, shot in Infra Red (with a 720nm IR filter)
    Exposure time : 20 seconds !!!
    I'm grateful the little frog remained quite so long.

sized_p1170859.

And this one is from last year, shot in the Antwerp Zoo

sized_P1110236.

C U,
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 5
  10. RobWatson

Iguana!

I love iguanas. We had one for a while that was a "rescue" that some folks happened upon as it was running along the tracks of the Union Pacific line nearby and they gave the petting zoo a call and then we acquired "Whippy" - he liked the give a wicked and hefty whipping lash with has ample tail. Sadly the Whipper was deformed or injured and could not eat very efficiently so he is now whipping about the pearly gates ... or wherever star crossed iguanas go. I can't believe I'm actually tearing up thinking about good old Whippy!

I'll have to dig through the 'archives' to see if I can find some photos of Whippy.

11. RobWatson

You and your emoticons had me going for a minute (or six). Actually, not turtle, tortoise. (what is the emoticon for Mr. Moto?). Desert Tortoise and only about 5 years old (weighs about 7 pounds) and can grow to be 3-4 feet across!

PS Mr. Moto (readily available on Netflix!)- my favorite moments are when he bust out some crazy move and dispatches the bad guy and some bystander shouts in excitement "JUDO" and Mr. Moto says in implacable fashion "Not Judo, Jiujitsu!" ... If you are not into martial arts or Mr. Moto this will make no sense at all.

12. Flagg

Flagg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Apeldoorn, Netherlands
    I have no idea how mr Moto is, and jiujitisstjui? Do they make M43 lenses maybe? :biggrin:

But I stand corrected, and send my apologies to mr (mrs?) tortoise, for my ignorance. :sorry::smile:

13. RobWatson

Heh, half the time I say turtle, too!

Mr (or Ms - actually I don't know!) is named Jackie and the better half (deceased) was Chan (Jackie Chan-thus the martial arts reference).

Mr. Moto (Mr. Moto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) was one of the pioneers to bring real asian martial arts to the silver screen decades before Bruce Lee was born.

Jiujitsu is the primary precursor art of judo -Brazillian jiujitsu is all the rage these days in modern martial arts circles. Mr. Moto did not have quite the marketing appeal I suppose. Judo is for sport while jiujitsu is for killing, er, I mean, combative applications. I may be slightly biased in my assessment.

14. RobWatson

Milo the Bearded Dragon

E-P1+Navitar 25mm F0.95 @ F2.8

MiloDragon.

Cropped a bit to remove excessive vignetting for the lens.

• Like Like x 2
  15. RobWatson

Party this weekend

Lions and lambs ... gotta start somewhere.
    Buddies-1.

A Crested Gecko.
    CrestedGecko-1.

Gecko stare down.
    CrestedGecko2-1.

Caspian the alpaca.
    Caspian-1.

The goat loves attention.
    GotGoat-1.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RobWatson

Beware the Black Scorpion

New arrival. Asian Forest scorpion, I think. Scary looking critter.

Scorpion-1.

E-P1+ Navitar 50 mm F0.95 @ F5.6

• Like Like x 1
  17. RobWatson

Bunnies!

These cuties are about 8 days old and just started leaving the nesting box.

Bunnies-1.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobWatson

Tortoise on the loose!

Forget about the Nazgul ... don't get between the tortoise and its food!

TortEats.

A 100% crop ...

TortEats100.

--
    E-P1+M.Zuiko 17mm F2.8

• Like Like x 1