Some of my more recent colourful captures

Discussion in 'Nature' started by grebeman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    These are a small selection of the recent moths that have been captured in a moth trap that I run overnight about once a week, all moths being released after counting (or photographing).

[​IMG]

Buff-tip

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro, iso 400, f/5.6, 1/40 sec

[​IMG]

Black Arches

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro, iso 400, f/8.0, 1/60 sec

[​IMG]

Pebble Prominent

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro, iso 400, f/8.0, 1/40 sec

[​IMG]

Garden Tiger

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 macro at 50mm, iso 400, f/8.0, 1/320 sec

All taken with the camera tripod mounted, photographs post processed with bibble 5, no cropping.

Barrie

• Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Their colors and patterns are really quite amazing, to those of us who aren't fluent in the ways of The Moth. That first one - the Buff-tip looks as though his/her wings would match some version of a Birch tree!

I can easily imagine a designer copying the patterns and colors of the Black Arches and that Garden Tiger - quite stunning!

Excellent detail, Barrie!

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Spot on BBW, that's precisely what the Buff-tips cryptic colours are meant to represent. They are also one of the species that will play dead in your hand, you can roll them around in the palm of your hand and they won't attempt to open their wings or fly off, whereas many species will fly almost as soon as you touch them, a world that many are not privileged to witness.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Fascinating, Barrie. I really appreciate your sharing this world with us here.

• Like Like x 2