1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some of my B&W m4/3 shots

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Jman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I thought since I'm new here, I'd post some of my photos with my m4/3 cameras. I've had an E-P1 for a while, but got the GH2 in December, and have now shot with that far more than my Canon DSLR setup (1Ds II with some pretty nice glass). Love it. Anyway, here are some of my recent B&W shots:

Panny 8mm fisheye:
    statehouse_lines.

Panny 8mm fisheye:
    statehouse_stairs.

Hexanon 40/1.8:
    chloe_run01.

Panny 8mm fisheye:
    palace.

Panny 7-14:
    unsure2.

Panny 20/1.7:
    grandmaster.

Oly 40-150:
    uptosomething.

Oly OM 50/3.5 Macro:
    dying_flower_bw.

Hexanon 57/1.2:
    chloe_eyes.

• Like Like x 19
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    your daughter (?) has a chilling stare in that last one picture... :smile:

Beautiful selection.

Cheers,

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Thanks for sharing! What settings do you usually use when taking pics of the little girl?

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I really like the outdoor shot with the little girl! Wonderful atmosphere.

5. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks! The girl is my daughter...I realized that I've mostly shown pensive or scheming looking shots of her here, but that's the recent B&W I have of her right now. (I have a ton of happy shots, including many recent, but most are color).

I don't know if I have any typical settings...if I'm shooting with my Hexanon 57/1.2 (which is what I reach for most of the time for portraits), I generally shoot between f/1.8 and f/2.8, depending on the DOF I need, though I'll shoot wide open if light or the shot requires it. I mostly shoot my portraits with bounced flash...all the indoor shots but the one of her running (the 40/1.8 shot) were with flash. I use a Metz 50 AF-1, and I always bounce when it's mounted to the hot shoe (I use a three light setup mostly for formal portraiture, with a sync cord to trigger one flash and two others in optical slave).

When I use the 20/1.7, I'm usually between f/1.7 and f/2.2. When I use my Oly 40-150 (what a steal that lens is...) I generally shoot wide open.

Here's one more B&W...took this this morning and just finished processing it. Hexanon 57/1.2 @ f/16 (wanted to blur the flag in the wind):

tattered.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    That's a beautiful post...

Thanks. Alan

7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Jman, those are some amazing photos! Great composition and lighting, I like each and every one of them.

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Jman

Thanks for sharing. Beautifully shot and lovingly treated in post, if I may say so.

9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Re: settings, do you shoot with the camera set to black and white - like B&W Dynamic - or do you convert to black and white in post processing?

Anyway - great shots!!

10. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    The flower image shows incredible detail and tones. I've been doing silver image B&W for 30 years and can't find fault with any of your images, thanks for sharing.

11. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks again! I shoot in RAW only, so all the B&W is done in post. I use Lightroom for some conversions, but Nik Silver Efex Pro is my weapon of choice for black and white.

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hey Jman,

There's a B&W contest going on you know...........:wink:

Should I not have told you?

Cheers, Alan

13. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Beautiful Work

Simply Brilliant work. Thank you for sharing and showing what this system is capable of doing!

14. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Very nice work as always, I see you on POTN:smile:

The last two are especially good.

Thanks for posting these.

15. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    Wonderful shots!
    I hope one day I can make some approaching this quality.

16. FABULOUS, in every word... I love SilverFX Pro as well. It is almost like being back in wet darkroom with that plug-in.

Love the distortion with that Panny lens.

Please keep on sharing more of your shots. Your stuff is very good.

17. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    While looking at Jordan's photos, I had a sudden revelation as to why I have always disliked fisheye photos. When I look at pictures of people distorted by a fisheye lens it reminds me of the very unpleasant fever-induced hallucinations I had as a child, where I saw my body parts hugely distorted (macropsia) or made extremely tiny (micropsia) in relation to the rest of me and the room I was in. Seeing similar distortions of people in fisheye views always made me feel uneasy, but I never before realized why.

But Jordan has used the distortion artistically to emphasize architectural linearity, which instead makes the pictures pleasing to my intellect, if not my eye.

Thanks. Your photos helped me understand myself better today.

-Steve. iPad. Mu-43 App.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good job Jordan. The last three are exceptional. I like the selective color shot, except that it is selectively colored, (for my tastes if it was monochromatic ... even colored monochromatic, I would rate it as exceptional also ... but 'tastes' are like armpits, we all have them and they all stink).

Gary