Some lens advise for my GH3 please.....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jan68, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    I'm experimenting for 2 years now with the switch from DSLR's to - well, this was the question. Working for newspapers, magazines and running my own photography business (weddings, portraits, pets....) I tried the Fuji X-System and did not like it. Then an E-M5, later an E-M1 with a bunch of kit- and prime lenses. Again, I did not love it, had a hard time to bond with the gear. (I am not talking picture quality, all these cameras are definitely good enough for what I do. I am talking about ergonomics, workflow, camera menu's, and so on). The first camera I really loved was my GX-7, this one fits my hands perfectly, the menu is easy to read and to use, just an excellent little camera to work with. I shot whole photo spreads with it, just using the 20 1.7 and 45 1.8. My main camera was the E-M1 and finally I decided to sell it for another Panasonic, and just ended up to find a really good deal on an almost new GH3 (i am not shooting videos). Purchased the vertical grip and some extra batteries and love to work with it after the first week.
    Just looking for a 12-35 2.8, and then something on the longer end. For weddings and portraits when quality counts, I am going to buy a 75 1.8, but for my newspaper work I am looking for a tele-zoom. 45-200? 45-150? Many people comment on the 45-175, but I am not sure if the power zoom is right for me...... Or maybe the 14-140? What's your opinion, your favourite?
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I'd add the 35-100/2.8 to the candidate list. This could also temporarily, or permanently, replace the 75, the main advantage being stabilization.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I'll second the 35-100/2.8. I got the chance to use one for a weekend and I was amazed at how sharp it was, and how well it worked with portraits. This is coming from another prime guy. Now I hate myself because I'm going to add the 12-35, and 35-100 to my kit.

by Alan Galura, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1