Some last minute help with lens kit before ordering...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jay86, May 7, 2013.

1. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Ok so I need some last minute help with ordering a few lenses for my GH3. I have cancelled two lens orders within minutes after placing them as Im completely tripping out over which lens kit to go with. I know I can probably change/adapt as I go along to suit my needs as I see fit but it would be nice to get it right the first time. Im getting back in the photo/video scene after almost a 1.5 year hiatus after selling my entire Canon 5D kit and I just cant seem to decide which route to go.

So its either one or the other pretty much for me right now:

Kit #1: Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 + Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 + Olympus 45mm f/1.8 OR

Kit #2: Olympus 17mm f/1.8 + Olympus 45mm f/1.8

On 35mm format I have shot a 35mm f/1.4 + 85mm f/1.4 two lens combination before and it worked pretty decent but at times I found the 35mm FL to be a little "awkward" but shooting a two lens combination was a lot more "convenient" and "freeing" in the sense that it was simple with just two lenses. You could throw those two lenses on two bodies if you wanted and shoot away. On the other hand I always felt a lot more comfortable with the 50mm focal length on 35mm format over a 35mm lens. It just felt more right to me. But that of course means you have to invest in a wider angle lens to cover that need when you need to shoot WA. The Panny seems like the right fit in terms of performance/$$$. The Oly 17mm f/1.8 of course has the advantage of being faster by a few stops but longer.

My brain is telling me that the 14/25/45 will work better but the 17/45 seems attractive on its own merits. I guess I just need that last push or affirmation from a few people on which way to go even though I know everyone will tell me that it all depends on your needs and style of shooting. For what its worth I want to focus 50% on video and 50% on stills.

You help is appreciated as I need to press buy soon. Thanks!

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I only cast my vote for the 3 lens option because the PL25mm is the best lens in your selection.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have the 14/20/45 as my three lens walk-around kit. One day I plan on replacing my 20 with the 25. I could not live with the extra field of view you get with the 14.

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I'm of the "why 3, when 2 will do the job", camp? Too many lens changes etc. It just takes a few more steps to frame/isolate. But then I'm too lazy to carry even 2, when one will do.:smile: I almost always shoot prime, and carry one body and lens. For travel/vacation etc., it would be handy to have choices. I personally would go with my comfortable everyday walkabout, and a longer reach, short tel for portraits,etc.

5. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Personally I think that my lens kit is going to be:
    9-18
    17mm 2.8
    25mm 1.4

And a legacy 50mm f.1.8 because I don't usually shoot over 30mm

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I hate to add to the mix, but why not a three lens combo with one substitution? Switch out the 14 for a Pany 14-45. Then you have a nice IS zoom that is a great performer, and two very fast primes. I like the 14, but if you are shooting both still and video, the 14-45 does offer some features in exchange for the minor amount of light loss. Something to consider.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I voted for the 3-lens kit because it's what I use most of the time. Plus your comment above makes me think you'll prefer it to the 17mm.

8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    If you can afford kit 1 without a doubt. If not kit 2 will serve you well.

9. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I think you have already answered your own question "I feel more comfortable with the 50mm" which leads you to the 14/25/45 set.

This mirrors my findings from 35mm where my normal "set of three" were 28mm, 50mm and 90mm.

So far I have I have the 14 and 45 (plus 12-50 kit) and would say they are two of the best value for money lenses in m4/3. The 45mm is very good and handles extremely well. The 14mm looks a bit lost on my OMD but is much better than I had hoped for the price (I bought a new black "ex-kit" lens at £100). I am saving for the 25mm to make up the same set under consideration.

10. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I just wanna' thank everyone that posted above! Really appreciate the quick and thoughtful replies.

At this point its obvious and I will take all of your's advice... will be ordering the 14/25/45 kit :)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL! :smile: This forum has been tremendously helpful.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How are you planning to stabilize your set up for video? This may have already been accounted for in your lens choices, but if not, it may be a factor for you to consider before purchasing.

--Ken

12. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    For now Im getting a fluid head for stabilization where ever a tripod use is possible. I also have a monopod I can use along with the fluid head if I like.

The third thing Im which Im actually confused about is wether to get a beginner stabilizer like the Flycam's out there or to go with a basic shoulder rig. The should rig is attractive because you can add to it and keep building it but the flycam's seem to be able to provide a fluid stabilization that the shoulder rigs cant. Im leaning towards something cheap to start out and learn on one of these below (and leave the shoulder rig setup if I get serious about video later on):

Amazon.com: DSLR FLYCAM NANO camera stabilizer with free quick release: Camera & Photo

Professional Camera Video Stabilizer Camcorder DSLR w Add on Weights Steadycam | eBay

Opteka Steadyvid EX MK II Video Stabilizer for Digital Cameras SLR's Camcorders | eBay

Mini Handheld Stabilizer For Camcorder Camera Video Light

SK W04 Kamerar Steadicam Video Stabilizer F Mirrorless Camera Camcorders DSLR | eBay

^^^ I know the hardest part with these is getting them balanced with the weights and dials and such. Got any recommendations for stabilization (cheap for now) outside the tripod/monopod/fluid head stuff.

13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I wish I could give advice about rigs, but I mostly shoot stills. The reason I asked was because it was not clear if you were using anything at all. If you were not, IS becomes a valuable feature in a lens. As you have accounted for this, I think that you are going to be happy with your lens selections. The 25 has a really nice focus ring that is very smooth and easy to operate. The 45 is not bad, but the damping on the 25 is, IMHO, quite nice.

If things go well, you should see about an adapter and find a MF 35mm f/2.0 Nikkor (or since you were a former Canon shooter, their equivalent). Before I bought my m4/3rd's gear, I traded in a LN condition one that had almost never been used for some new Nikkor AF lens. My dealer was quite happy to take it in on trade as they are highly sought after by those shooting video. Now I know why he gave me so much credit for it.

Good luck,

--Ken