Some kids have to grow up too fast.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bitmatt, Aug 18, 2012.

1. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    My niece has had a harder life than most. Tough & smart though- she'll be fine.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My niece just broke her arm tonight!

- Eliot@Austin, TX

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    If you are able to do so, tell us about her life. It will make the image that much more interesting. Otherwise, she just looks like normal, healthy, well-rounded pre-teenager. I do see some depth in her eyes; one that ordinarily is not seen until a few years older.

The image has good bokeh. Colors and perspective are fine. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Not my place to tell these stories; but you're right- those are not the eyes of a nine-year-old. Sorry to be so vague about that, but I would not feel right about sharing more details in such a public forum.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Matt,
    That is perfectly understandable. Apologies if I intruded.

6. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Not at all! It was a perfectly reasonable question. In truth I feel weird about posting this thread. It is a nice picture that I felt like sharing, but I thought it needed some explanation as to her serious expression. This is her usual reaction when she knows a camera is pointed at her.

7. Infinite

Infinite Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2012
    Over the Rainbow
    S
    Hmm your niece's expression makes me feel a bit of ...cognitive dissonance? I, too, feel there is a maturity in her features that isn't typical of a girl her age.

Nonetheless, I am rooting for her!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Nice portrait.

Without denying the hard realities of human suffering, I just want to share that I've met many people with terrible, terrible stories to tell who claimed their lives and lived them fully. The resiliency of the human spirit is amazing. Those of us who are not as tough can only be humbled and grateful for the lessons in endurance they teach us.

Of course an uncle who makes you look good is a nice asset.

• Like Like x 2
  9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks for sharing, Matt. Though I don't know her situation, there are too many kids that have to grow up too fast these days. Wish I could do something for each of them.

What lens? Looks like the PL25, or a legacy 35, but not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    + 1 - well said. Her eyes are absolutely haunting. It would be interesting to see a tight crop that only featured her. The stance of the girls on the right adds a particular dimension to the photo - they almost appear confrontational.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Often what we see in anothers eyes is a reflection of that deep within ourselves.

12. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I do agree. Very nice but a bit too "mature" looking, especially those eyes...
    I hope her hardships are over and she can still enjoy the rest of a normal and happy childhood. Being a mom, the mere idea of a child in distress makes me cringe.
    She's a beautiful young lady, I hope she keeps some softness inside her soul and doesn't harden too much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    True - and what we perceive in a photo is equally a reflection of our own experience. We never come to an image as a blank canvas, what we take away is colored by who we are.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses everyone! This really is a pretty great forum.

And to heedpantsnow- 45mm Olympus 1.8.

• Like Like x 1