Some infrared images

Eon

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, there's some postprocessing involved.

First I use the Gimp to get the blueish otherworldly effect, or sometimes leave the red sky if I like it better.
Then I pp some more sometimes with either SFX pro or CFX pro.

I can post a series of an image as it processes through the workflow if anyone likes.....

Eon

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, I share Gary's curiosity. How much of the effect is purely filter, how much is post-processing? Are any of these images straight OOC without PP?

The house framed by trees of light is powerful.

-Steve

This is a different pp of the house, but now they are really trees of light :biggrin:

Before pp:

5776798139_94c58e6da4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After pp:

5700758016_ce19399d92_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Okay, apart from a very nice image of a lonely tree in the middle of a Rapeseed field ... why is your tree black (cold) and the trees in this thread white (warm/hot)? Maybe the filter's primary function is to turn green to white?

G

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry, over the edge, chlorophyll is very reflective in NIR. Your tree should have white leaves. Your sky should be black and your clouds should pop.

klythawk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Sorry for any confusion, this is just a normal .jpeg image converted using the infrared filter in Lightroom. :smile:

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I really like that last shot you posted at the beginning of the thread! great stuff

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry for any confusion, this is just a normal .jpeg image converted using the infrared filter in Lightroom. :smile:

Somethings can't be done in post processing. The data needs to be in the original file.

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Behind The Camera. But home is in Montreal.
The green emenates certain thermal heat which isn't visible to the naked eye. By using a very very dark red filter, if your digital camera does not have high pass filter like in Lumix cameras, it will block the green and capture only the thermal InfraRed coming out anything green.

Since it is a red filter, it will make anything blue darker. The basic 101 of old B&W negative film photography.

This being said, human beings also emenate that thermal heat. The skins end up becoming very dreamy like the greens in IR photography.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
The green emenates certain thermal heat which isn't visible to the naked eye. By using a very very dark red filter, if your digital camera does not have high pass filter like in Lumix cameras, it will block the green and capture only the thermal InfraRed coming out anything green.

Since it is a red filter, it will make anything blue darker. The basic 101 of old B&W negative film photography.

This being said, human beings also emenate that thermal heat. The skins end up becoming very dreamy like the greens in IR photography.

This is near infrared. There is no heat or thermal signature. That would be far infrared. Basically, objects and materials that appear light are more reflective in near IR. If you were seeing a thermal signature, you would be able to photograph the object in a room without light.

The sky is black because it does not scatter the longer wavelength of NIR. This really cannot be described as filtering color.

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes I have done B&W film IR in night clubs where there were no lights. The skins of the human beings were glowing.

This is near infrared. There is no heat or thermal signature. That would be far infrared. Basically, objects and materials that appear light are more reflective in near IR. If you were seeing a thermal signature, you would be able to photograph the object in a room without light.

The sky is black because it does not scatter the longer wavelength of NIR. This really cannot be described as filtering color.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes I have done B&W film IR in night clubs where there were no lights. The skins of the human beings were glowing.

I would love to see the pictures. What was the source of the IR? BTW, lenses cannot focus not transmit thermal radiation, not glass ones anyhow.

StudioHeraBell

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have to scan them, and there is some nudity. I can't upload them here. They are in negatives burried in my folders. Kodak made the B&W IR negatives. They were 400 ISO, sometimes I pushed the film. Camara was Canon AE1 lens 50 mm f/2.8 All manual. I had to focus first add the filter then shoot.

I would love to see the pictures. What was the source of the IR? BTW, lenses cannot focus not transmit thermal radiation, not glass ones anyhow.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have to scan them, and there is some nudity. I can't upload them here. They are in negatives burried in my folders. Kodak made the B&W IR negatives. They were 400 ISO, sometimes I pushed the film. Camara was Canon AE1 lens 50 mm f/2.8 All manual. I had to focus first add the filter then shoot.

I know the Kodak film. Whether film or digital, it does not record a thermal signature. It is simply reflected NIR radiation. The source of the IR was your lighting.

IR film was commonly used in flash photography to photograph in bars and nightclubs so as not to disturb the patrons. The flash unit was filtered to only allow the NIR from the flash output. Because of that, the flash was never seen.

Latest threads

Top Bottom