1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some images of a baby longhorn taken with A33

Discussion in 'Nature' started by texascbx, Feb 13, 2011.

1. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    We bought this longhorn cow back in June. The friend of mine I bought her from said he thought she was pregnant and that's really why I bought her. As time went on, I never thought she was pregnant since she did not show it. But several people told me they don't show it much and I guess they were right.

p288531681-4.

p252129850-4.

p474522690-4.

p506196483-4.

p156996641-5.

Code:
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="580" height="386" align="" src="http://cdn.zenfolio.net/zf/code/slideshow/embedded.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=763278710&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=5&transition=2&loop=1&random=0&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&loop_music=1&frame=0xcccccc&preloader=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.zenfolio.net%2Fzf%2Fcode%2Fslideshow%2F002.swf&preloader_params=color%3D0xffffff"></embed>

• Like Like x 7
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice. That's a handsome animal. Being a city-dweller, I tend to keep away from big animals with horns when they have young :eek:

All the best,

Colin

3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, she acted like she might go medieval on me if I got too close to the baby. She has horns and knows how to use them when the horses get too close. Longhorns can get psycho on you if you don't hand feed them every once in a while. So I've fed her regularly so she's pretty docile. I don't want to test how docile she is after she had the calf though.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Wow that's a great 'before-and-after' shot of how to make a Longhorn! Thanks for the images.
    p506196483-4.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Beautiful cow and calf! You got some terrific photos of them. Like the slideshow!

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Another city-dweller here. I thought only the males had horns, like a typical cow and bull thing. That is just one of the reasons you won't catch me trying to milk something...:confused:

tex, have you used a GH1 by chance? Wondering how it compares to A33.

7. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Sorry, the only cameras I have used are in my sig. I have a G1. I'm not running the G1 down, but the contrast auto focus just flat out can't compete with the phase detection at least in the SLT cameras in regards to speed and accuracy.

Some of the female longhorns have the most spectacular horns IMHO. The males tend to have super long horns that go straight out from the head while most of the females have horns going out and up.

When I say she has horns and knows how to use them, she really does. She shoves the other cows around with them and the steer boy I have uses his horns to get his way with the bigger cows that have no horns. It's common here in Texas to saw the tips off of a longhorns horns to make it safer to deal with them when feeding them or giving them a shot or worm medicine. Anytime Daisy gets alarmed her first reaction is to begin flailing her head around and those horns them become very dangerous, either by accident or intentional so you have to be very cautious when hand feeding her. She needs to be hand fed occasionally to keep her used to people and not revert to their fairly wild nature. I heard some horror stories about longhorns left alone in a field for a long time all by themselves with no human contact.