Some help please.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phlodge, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Hi there

A friend of mine has asked me to photograph his daughter’s wedding, it’s one of those “my mates got a camera jobs” .

Its low key, nothing fancy and only 10 guests and the couple don’t want to spend much so I said I would help them out.

I have a Nikon D7100 and D300 (which I shall be selling in the next month or so) and a recently purchased Olympus OMD EM10 used for travel.

I have access to several lenses for both systems so I think I am covered as regards that.

The room is not very large and as it’s in early January so the opportunity to go outside may be limited due to the British weather.

Nikon D7100/D300 .. 85mm f1:4, 24-70mm f2:8, 50mm f1:8. 12-28mm f4, 70-200 f2.8
    Olympus OMD 10 .. 17mm, 45mm, 60mm.

My question relates to what would you take, my thoughts are drifting towards the D7100 and the Olympus as this gives me 2 cameras and the convenience of one being light and small. Or would the D300 be a smarter move

Wisdom and thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    Phil.

2. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I can't comment on the Nikons, but for a winter wedding, I imagine whatever gives you the best / most versatile flash setup would be the most important factor.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What does his daughter say about the deal?

4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Sorry, I may be confused here, but you seem to be asking "which one"?

I'd never turn up to a wedding without (at least) TWO cameras since you always need a backup, so surely that answers the question, take BOTH. I've dropped a camera half way through a wedding before, had to put it, the lens and flash back in the bag, pull out another one and carry on. If I'd only had one camera I'd be heading home.

Once you are there you'll quickly find which one you like using the most in any given situation. They are also both small enough to have both on you at the same time (different focal lengths) to avoid having to swap lenses as much.

The EM10 will give you stabilisation for the low light prime shots while 7100+24-70 will give you bread & butter shots and the ability to zoom if needed. The 85 1.4 for the shallow DOF portrait shots if that's the type of thing you (and they) want.

Seriously, take BOTH.

If you have any off-camera flash capability make sure you take that with you too!

5. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Sorry I meant which one from the choice of these 2 for a second/back-up i.e. Nikon D300 or OMD EM10.

I was going to take the D7100 anyway.

I do have flash for the Nikon which I can use off camera.

I like the idea of the 24-70 on the Nikon and the Oly with the fast 17mm.

As for the Bride (Daughter) and Grooms expectations, they want me to do it and do the best I can fully appreciating that I am not a professional wedding photographer.
    They are a young couple on one army wage so I am glad to help where I can, sort of feel sorry for them in a way as they are chasing the illusive deposit for a home of their own.

Thank you for the help and input and for taking the time to respond

Phil

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Sorry Phil, for some reason I completely missed that. Doh!

The D300 is a great camera, though a little long in the tooth and noisy at higher ISO. We sold ours several years ago after shooting that and the D700 side by side.

The Oly with fast prime would be my choice, though the 'safe' choice would be the D300. Tell you what, take all three ! :D

7. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    I had though about taking all 3, but its all getting rather heavy these days and I am favouring the olympus more and more.

Had considered selling the Nikon D7100 as well as the D300 and getting an OMD EM1, but I would lose too much on the lens and some of them are a bit big to use on anything but a DSLR.

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I did a similar thing for some friends a number of years ago. I was nowhere near good enough to shoot anyone's wedding, but the couple had seen lots of photos I had taken and were more impressed than they should have been. I tried very hard to convince the couple to hire a professional photographer, but they basically said that they didn't have the money and if I didn't do it they wouldn't have a photographer at all. I found the ceremony wasn't that hard, but the reception was very difficult. It was in a very dark hall with lots of movement. I ended up shooting the entire reception using my Canon 20D and the very cheap 50 1.8. But I did have a top shelf Canon flash and bounced flash for pretty much every shot. The results were better than I could have hoped for. I had just learned to use the flash and camera in manual mode, which worked much better than letting the camera and flash overpower everything.

It sounds like the lighting will be bad for you too. So, I say take the Nikons since you have flash for them. If you don't have a nice Olympus compatible flash, it may not be up to the task of a really dark hall. Of course, I'd probably take all three and leave the Olympus in the car with its lenses for an emergency. Of course, your comfort and familiarity with whatever camera you use is probably more important than whatever camera is a little more capable.

9. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Sounds familiar Dynasport, they like my images of some equine shots I took, so on the back of that that want me to shoot their daughters wedding !!! Refusal wasn't an option really as you said no me no photos.

Thanks for the advice

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Nikon AF assist light projects a pattern that the camera's AF responds to almost instantly using a 17-55/2.8 (the pro lenses focus much faster and accurately). The Olympus uses a flash light AF assist light so AF still depends on the inherent contrast of the subject. The Nikon system works vastly better in very dark reception halls. If you need flash, you need the Nikon. For available light shots, your E-M10 and the lenses you list will work very well.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know if it's possible in this case, but I would take a friend and have them shoot one camera while I shoot the other.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OlyPannyMan

OlyPannyMan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2014
    This. I would take them all, shoot as many as you (and a friend) can, and pick out the best shots later. The friend can shoot the less critical photos and maybe circulate around because you can't be multiple places at once.

By the way I have one of these and use it regularly.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-D...qid=1419338054&sr=1-3&keywords=optech+harness

I'd have that along...I'd have my E30 with 14-54mm on my right hand, EPL1 with 9-18mm on my left. That eliminates a lot of lens changing.

13. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    I seem to be settling on the Nikon D7100 and the Olympus E-M10 with the D300 as a back up if it all goes pear shaped. The size of the Olympus and as you said the fast lenses makes its great tool for taking candids around their home before we depart for the venue.

Many thanks for the help.

14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There is the couple and 10 guests. Unless everyone is very experienced, with a good sense of situational awareness, you'll be bumping into each other and/or stepping into each others pictures. The best way to do this is to have two cameras, and switch between them.

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Run away. Run verra, verra quickly. Don't look back.

:biggrin:

And....you're all set. The two cameras have similar (well, relatively anyway) controls, share lenses, etc. Quite capable machines.

I'd take the Olympus, get on a plane, and not come back until the wedding was over. But that's just me.

:2thumbs:

(I'm sure you'll have a fine time no matter what gear you take. Make nice with the couple, have some wedding cake and enjoy the event.)

Regards,

Jim

*** Seriously, the Nikons would be my choice for the event you described.

16. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    This is how I would do it:

D7100 w/ 24-70.
    E-M10 w/ 45.

Rationale -

Need one camera for group shots another for candid close ups. You don't have a true wide for the Oly or a good flash option, so you have to use it for available light close ups. The 45 f/1.8 is perfect for this.

That leaves the D7100 for group shots with the 24-70 that covers wide to normal.

I would keep the D300 easily accessible with the 12-24 for one off ultra wide shots that play with perspective and angles. They will help to spice up the portfolio.

If you realize on location that the "not a large room" premise is incorrect, put the 70-200 on the D300 and forget about the Oly and ultra wide.

One more thing - perhaps the most important:

Have a cheat sheet of the things that you need to cover. From pictures of the invitation card and decorations, to bridal shots and the sentimental MIL. 10 people isn't too bad, but it's easy to forget that the final result should look like an album that covers a special event.

And sell your camera gear after the event or start practicing taking pictures of new born babies. :)

~W

• Like Like x 1
  17. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Thanks for the continued input, especially like the idea of the cheat sheet which I have now started to compile

Cheers

Phil.

18. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Avoid it like the plague....IMVHO

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Do whatever, you're completely screwed in any case. ;)

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    When friends or family ask you to do a wedding for free, what they really mean is that they expect at least the equivalent of a paid $5000 wedding photography outcome. The will expect you to be there for the pre-wedding activities, the wedding and the reception and not actually be part of the event, even if you are part of the family. You will actually do more work and be more frazzled than the mother of the bride.

And while they are on their honeymoon, you'll be working on your shots, trying to produce the best results ever, spending hours on the shots. On their return, the bride however, won't be impressed with the results and will expect you to do a lot more and you'll spend at least another week or more meeting her expectations. At the end of the day, you would have worked your butt off and the bride and groom still won't be happy. They won't say anything, but you'll get hints over time that they were really disappointed.

When people expect something for free, they expect far more than when they have to pay for someone else to do the same.

• Like Like x 3