Some help needed with De-fishing

Real Name
Chris
I have the 8mm Olympus fish eye lens and would typically shoot this with the de-fish option in camera to have a wide angle view.
Doing some night shots with star trails, it seems that the defish option is not available. At least I could not get it to work "in-camera". I guess the process of stacking the hudreds of frames (in-camera) is not setup for a defish on top of that "in camera".

Now I have some photos and would like to get an idea of the easiest approach for de-fishing. I tried Olympus workspace and the results seemed ok but not the best IMO. I admit that I am not too good with that software. I also have photoshop elements, ON1, GIMP, and Luminar.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.
Looking for software features or addons that I might use to have control over de-fishing. Automatic defishing would be great of course.

Here is a sample image of Thomas Viaduct near Baltimore. 20 minutes of star trails and too many airplanes going by in this shot....
PA140096.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is the automatically de-fished version from Olyworkspace. Not happy with the bridge supports here but maybe that is what I should expect. Lower legs are not as vertical as expected after de-fishing.

PA140096Oworkspacemanualfisheye.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bpjod

Mu-43 Rookie
BTW, nice image, too bad about the planes. I don't mind the fisheye perspective at all on this at all. In fact, I prefer it to the de-fished one. If you manage to de-fish it to your satisfaction, would you mind posting the final result and what method you used to achieve it? I'm curious as to how it turns out when you're done.

Real Name
Chris
BTW, nice image, too bad about the planes. I don't mind the fisheye perspective at all on this at all. In fact, I prefer it to the de-fished one. If you manage to de-fish it to your satisfaction, would you mind posting the final result and what method you used to achieve it? I'm curious as to how it turns out when you're done.
Thanks for the kind words. I will post something. Leaning towards trying the FishEye Hemi plugin.

I live relatively near that old railroad bridge. I took that photo around 10 PM. Plenty of flights in my area. Perhaps I need to go out much later to get a cleaner sky.

Real Name
Chris
I have been spending a little time trying to get better de-fished images than what Oly provided with their workspace and have come up generally disappointed.

There seems to be no easy solution (for me) which is what I was looking for. Time for post processing images is limited for me these days so I am not sure the 8mm lens is a good fit for me.
Currently I have the Laowa 7.5mm f2 rectilinear lens. After owning this for a while I picked up the 8mm Olympus fisheye knowing that my EM1-mk2 would de-fish it automatically for me. My goal is to keep only one of these. Their primary function (in my bag) is ASTRO shots and maybe an occasional wide landscape.

The Laowa is nice and I have some good shots with it. The corners show some stretching on the stars, there seems to be some distortion in the corners (coma) and even though I am using it for darker skies, I seem to see vignetting. It does, however, produce pretty good shots overall, I can use the multi-shot functions of the camera with it (unlike the Olympus when in automatic de-fish mode), and of course there is no de-fishing work to do.

The Olympus lens is autofocus (which does not help for astro) and produces nice photos. Stars in the corner of a shot are still round and overall image quality is good. However, I am looking for defished images in the end. Auto defishing the image in-camera does not work with some of the features that I like (LIVECOMP mode for instance). When I de-fish, I notice that stars in the corner and features in the corners in general are distorted. The image quality is heading back to where the Laowa is.

Bottom line, I purchased the Olympus to potentially improve on the image quality of the Laowa (especially away from the center of the frame) but I am not sure it will work for me. The 8mm is a great lens but it may be going up for sale soon. Am I crazy or just lazy?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi @Chris5107,
UWA rectilinear lenses have a lot of stretching at the edges, and defishing (depending on type and amount) can produce the same stretching.

It's an issue of perspective, not a flaw of the lenses.

Why do you feel you need to defish Astro landscape shots?
Put the horizon level and in the center of the image, and the image should look natural.

Real Name
Chris
Hi @Chris5107,
UWA rectilinear lenses have a lot of stretching at the edges, and defishing (depending on type and amount) can produce the same stretching.

It's an issue of perspective, not a flaw of the lenses.

Why do you feel you need to defish Astro landscape shots?
Put the horizon level and in the center of the image, and the image should look natural.

Agree in general. Some turn out for me. It is when I am looking up, like at the bridge or a mountain, which gives me the most trouble. My astro shots especially, are typically pointing somewhat above the horizon.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom