1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some GH3 speculation

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speltrong, Feb 11, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: What can we expect from the GH3?

I really, really hope they don't increase the MP count in the GH3, but it would make sense from a marketing perspective (damn marketers!). Otherwise a global shutter would be fantastic if possible. Also, a March announce would be pretty exciting.

What do you think?

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It would really spoil the OM-D if they introduced a new multi-aspect sensor, packed in a X-Pro1 / NEX-7 body.

That would really get me to think twice about pulling the trigger on the OM-D E-M5.

3. I doubt we will see a change in ergonomics in the GH line, but they will have to add weatherproofing to keep up with Olympus. It will come at Photokina.
    I will be very surprised if we don't see another model to compete with the Nex7 and Fuji though. I feel the Gx1 was a stopgap, while they sort out building in an EVF in a rangefinder style body. If it is also weatherproof, it will sell really well, but will be welcomed regardless. This model will need to be announced soon, otherwise everyone will have already bought the EM5. Won't be delivered before mid-summer though!

4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    The weather resistant part of the OM-D is the most attractive thing to me. If Panasonic came out with a weathersealed camera I would consider it as well.

In reality though it will be a year or more before I can afford to buy another camera. When that time comes I assume we will be past this generation and I will probably pick up a closeout OM-D. In the meantime I am quite happy with my Pany G1 and Canon Ae-1p.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bet many if not most of the improvements are in the video half of the camera. The HDSLR crowd is going nuts right now and one of the stars recently has been the GH1 and 2. I don't think panasonic planned on it with the GH1. They gave a bit better video ability in the GH2 but I bet they concentrate their efforts in making the GH3 a video superstar! The photography side will not lack , I am sure it will see some slight improvements but not like the video.

Heres what I hope they add to the GH3.
    #1 focus assist also called focus peaking so that manual lenses are easier to focus{hopefully can be used in photography modes as well}
    #2 3.5mm mini-jack for microphone as well as a good level meter and adjustment ability.{current jack is the 2.5mm micro size - hard to find and easy to break}
    #3 headphone jack!
    #4 improved bit rates for the video.
    #5 safe zone guides.
    #6 improved AF in video mode - faster and more precise.

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I agree - they really fell into something with video on the GH series, and would be fools not to keep pushing the limits there.

Focus peaking would be so, so useful for the PL45. One of my only gripes about shooting macro on m4/3 is the MF process. Very easy to get lost in MF assist mode in the macro world and no visual indicator as to which way to turn the focus ring. Some sort of hybrid focus system with CF and phase detection would probably also help the cause.

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I would totally buy the Panasonic equivalent of the OM-D. The GX1 was a little disappointing spec-wise because of the lack of built-in viewfinder and at least a tilt screen. I decided not to make the jump from my GF1 quite yet because of this.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Speculation piled on speculation. The blogger has no information, he's simply guessing. Aside from that, he's wrong on at least one count: Panasonic has a patent on a PDAF system for mirrorless cameras, so patents won't prevent Panasonic from including that in a GH3. That doesn't mean they will, just that patent issues won't prevent them.

And he's wrong about the reason m43 (and most other large sensor) cameras have mechanical shutters. The shutter isn't needed because of a rolling sensor--even P&S cameras with electronic shutters have rolling shutters. The mechanical shutter has more to do with reducing electronic noise and blooming, and providing high shutter speeds than anything else. (As an aside, I'm always amused by people saying eliminating the shutter will reduce mechanical failures--I can't remember that last time I heard of a shutter failure in anything other than a heavily used pro camera.)

At least he admits he's speculating. Why anyone would pay serious attention to the post, though, is beyond me.

As to some of the posts here:

Weatherproofing? Maybe, but the reality is not very many people really need it. It's more a bragging rights thing than anything else for most users. I've used non-weatherproofed cameras for decades, in the rain, and never had an issue.

The GH2 replacement as an RF (NEX7 style) body? Seems pretty unlikely. Maybe a premium GX body, but the GH is what it is, a faux DSLR.

I could speculate on what I think it will be, or what I'd like to see, but why bother? If a GH3 is to come out this year, its physical configuration, and most of its feature set, has already been locked down. Development cycles are a couple of years long, and it's way too late in the game for Panasonic to start redesigning any camera that's coming out this year.

9. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Speculation sometimes brings up questions and differing viewpoints about the tech and inner workings of cameras that may not come up in other posts (like the mechanical shutter thing or the pros and cons of different design elements). While some may argue that those brain cycles would be better utilized learning new techniques or actually going out and shooting, sometimes it's just not as fun as good ol' fashioned wild speculation :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I would call it "Peace of Mind" rather than bragging rights. No, it's not something most will use often.

11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Honestly I would be really surprised if the GH3 didn't have focus peaking. They already have it in their high-end video camera...

12. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Things like peak-focusing, battery-packs, and even weather sealing are a cake-walk. Getting another 1 or 2 stops of DR out of a sensor, a consumer 4K solution for video as well as a RAW video format will be a challenge. Panasonic has the horsepower, which is good because the GH3 will need to humiliate the nex7 (or maybe even a nex8).

I'm expecting something that will probably be called a GHX, rumors should start circulating this summer.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

4K is very very unlikely to happen on the GH3. It is possible with this sensor size though! Astrodesign of Japan has a high end CCTV that is 4K and m4/3! However even the Canon and Nikon DSLRs don't do 4K yet or even 3K. 3K is a possible , beat the big boys to the punch!??

Speculation - yes! But since there is no reliable "leaked" rumors to go off , this will do for now.

I actually wish panasonic would build a consumer level m4/3 camcorder , a junior AF100 if you will but smaller. I am not a big fan of using DSLR{or similar} for video work , the ergonomics are all wrong. The AF100 is a great camera but out of the reach of most people. If they had a camcorder in the $1000-$1500 range I think it would beat out all the DSLRs.

14. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    What weather resistant m 4/3 lenses are out there?

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    the new 12-50 from oly. and every 4/3 weather sealed lens with the new weather sealed 4/3->m43 adapter =)

granted, you kinda lose out on focusing speed w/ the 4/3s stuff, heh.

16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    also, any lens + a plastic bag :tongue:

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For that matter, any camera and a plastic bag. I've done that before, too, to shoot in heavy rain. You can even buy plastic bags specifically designed for that purpose:

OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve

For as seldom as I shoot in the rain, these are "weather proof" enough, I think.

18. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I used a Rainsleeve when I was on a rafting tour of the Grand Canyon. Worked perfectly. I'd be terrified of getting any camera wet, whether or not it called itself "weather sealed"...

19. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Weather proofing. Bragging rights ? I have one of those over priced camera raincoats, I've tried the plastic bag thing. None of them are any good, though I can see them being easier with the new power zooms.
    I see weather proofing as a really good thing to have. And Olympus do it so well.
    My E1 never even went in a bag. Just outside all the time in any weather ready to shoot.
    Will the new Panasonic have it ? I doubt it. Weatherproofing on any camera is a step in the right direction. Especially in my neck of the woods ! Will I buy one ? To be honest I think I would rather go old tech and get an E5 with 12-60.