Some GH3 questions in relation to the OM-D

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by heli-mech, Jun 16, 2013.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I am considering the GH3 to replace my OM-D mainly for improved ergonomics. I need to get my hands on a GH3 still to see the evf and just confirm the ergonomics are better than the OM-D for me but unfortunately nobody nearby has stock right now. Until then maybe a Gh3 owner could answer a couple questions regarding some things on the OM-D that irrate me and whether the GH3 is improved in those areas. (yes I could read the manual but its Fathers Day and I am allowed to be lazy)

1) Bracketing - can you access bracketing with a single button press and will the camera automatically take all shots of the bracket at once. OM-D you need to activate bracketing via a menu and turn on continous shooting.

2) Can you set a button to switch between matrix and spot metering. With the OM-D the only I found to do this was to set the AEL to spot metering but of course it is fixed at that point, usable but not ideal.

3) Focus point- Can you adjust size of the standard focus point. OM-D can sort of but its a little hokey as its actually the magnified focus spot.

4) Can you have both "highlight blinkies" and on screen level or magnified view at the same time. With the OM-D you can only use one of these features at a time.

5) how sensitive is the auto evf sensor. I find the OMD's too sensitive at times when trying to shoot with the camera low with the screen out.

6) how many custom setting slots are there? Can you label them?

7) does the magnified focus view take up the whole screen or does it leave a border of nonmagnified view to assist in framing.

8) can you set up custom file names that will not reset with a new card or format (ie stay in sequential numbering and not start over, repeating file names). Maybe I am missing something but I hate the OM-D's filing system.

9) Any eyeglass wearings have diffculties with the EVF?

Thanks guys

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've only had my GH3 for a couple of weeks, but here's what I have.

1) Bracketing - can you access bracketing with a single button press and will the camera automatically take all shots of the bracket at once. OM-D you need to activate bracketing via a menu and turn on continous shooting.

There's a dial dedicated to that with selections for single, multi, bracketing and timer

2) Can you set a button to switch between matrix and spot metering. With the OM-D the only I found to do this was to set the AEL to spot metering but of course it is fixed at that point, usable but not ideal.

Probably, all 7 of the Fn buttons can be assigned to something else, and there's 10 pages of options.

3) Focus point- Can you adjust size of the standard focus point. OM-D can sort of but its a little hokey as its actually the magnified focus spot.

You can do pin point or an adjustable size 'zone'.

4) Can you have both "highlight blinkies" and on screen level or magnified view at the same time. With the OM-D you can only use one of these features at a time.

No idea.

5) how sensitive is the auto evf sensor. I find the OMD's too sensitive at times when trying to shoot with the camera low with the screen out.

There's a low and high sensitivity setting for this. Low seems pretty reasonable.

6) how many custom setting slots are there? Can you label them?

C1, C2 and C3

7) does the magnified focus view take up the whole screen or does it leave a border of nonmagnified view to assist in framing.

Whole screen

8) can you set up custom file names that will not reset with a new card or format (ie stay in sequential numbering and not start over, repeating file names). Maybe I am missing something but I hate the OM-D's filing system.

Nope

9) Any eyeglass wearings have diffculties with the EVF?

Not really, I wear progressives, so I just have to make sure I'm looking thru the right area.

3. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    1) just switch the dial to bracket and it will take all shot at once, though I like to use electronic shutter to save physical shutter and faster too.

3) you can change the focus size with dial

6) C1, C2, C3-1, C3-2, C3-3, don't think u can label them

7) If you magnify to 4X it only magnify the screen around the focus point with the rest of the screen unmagnified

4. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    Just to expand on #1. Switching to bracketing is easy as mentioned (just turn the dial) but you have to hold down the shutter button to take the brackets. The maximum range of the bracketing is 7 exposures at 1EV increments.

I don't like holding down the button and really wish a firmware update would address the issue. To solve it I use a wireless shutter release in the PC sync port and put the remote on bulb. Then I press the button once on my remote to start the sequence then I wait for all 7 brackets to go then I press the button again to turn the bulb timer off. At first I was using my Android phone and the lumix link app and held down the shutter button on the phone screen to do this but I found it cumbersome to have to hold it down and also getting the wireless to stay connected is a little buggy in my opinion.

5. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

If there are Internet camera rental outfits that do business in Canada, it's probably worth some money to have one shipped to you for a few days to try out. I've rented both an OMD-EM5 and a GH3 recently here in the U.S., and while I didn't have the cameras long enough to delve into the details you're asking about I found the handling between the two to be night-and-day. The GH3 doesn't have the wonderful solid/mechanical feel in the hands that the EM5 does, but between the huge number of external controls (many of them user-configurable) and the much better menu system I found it far easier to switch settings on the GH3 than on the EM5.

6. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    So true about external controls and menu system on GH3. Have you tried video on both?

7. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Answers to GH3 questions

Bracketing: Easy, just turn the set and see Drive Mode Dial top left on the camera to the Bracketing icon.

Metering Mode: (Matrix /spot etc) You can allocate this to the Q Menu or one of the Fn buttons.

Focus Point, change position /size: The arrangements for this on the EM5 completely baffled me. On the GH3 it is very easy and direct. If you have [Direct Focus Area] allocated to the Control Dial, you can directly change position and size of the active AF (or MF) area on the control dial.

Hilite blinkies/Level gauge/Mag View: The option for highlight /shadow blinkies in image preview is not available on the GH3. Highlight blinkies are available on playback only. You can have the level gauge and magnified view at the same time in preview, along with lots of other stuff, the preview is very configurable.

Auto EVF Sensor: Several people on user forums have complained they find it too sensitive. The GH3 has a High and Low sensitivity setting which appartently determines the speed of the response to an object being placed in front of the sensor. I find the camera quite usable at waist level with the Monitor swung out as long as I hold the camera about 80mm away from my body.

Custom settings: There are 5, C1, C2, C3-1, C3-2, C3-3. I don't think they can be labelled, not sure about that.

Magnified View: At 4x, there is a magnified window within the full frame. At 5x and 10x the magnified view occupies the whole Monitor or EVF area.

File Names: Don't know, there is a lot about this in the PDF Users Manual, however.

Spectacles: If the EVF is set to DSLR style, with camera info beneath the preview image, the whole frame can be easily seeen with spectacles. Some spectacles wearers remove the rubber eyecup.

For more information you mat wish to read my 10 part review of the GH3 on the Camera Ergonomics Blog starting here: Camera Ergonomics
    Good luck

8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No that's my problem, no retailer within a 90min drive has a GH3, and nobody nearby rents for anything close to a reasonable rate ($50/day, plus shipping both ways and shipping days count as rental days!) May just have to wait until someone close by gets stock or next time I take a trip for work.

I am only just starting to play with video but I have already given that category to the GH3. It is starting to seem like a choice between the better ergonomics but bigger size of the GH3 versus the IBIS and better EVF of the OM-D. Video a plus on the GH3 but the ability to strip the grip from the OM-D and have a small camera is a OM-D advantage.

Pure IQ between the two seems to be a wash, at least when shooting RAW. Then its lenses, I wonder how much I will give up on the 75mm 1.8 with no stabilization but the ability to use the 7-14mm without purple blobs would be fantastic.

Anyone know how to get cameras to mate? I am thinking a GH3/OM-D offspring would be the ideal camera.

9. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Oh, this kind of sucks. I knew some other Panasonics didn't have this but I thought the GH3 did. I really find them useful with ETTR on the OM-D, but on the OM-D they disappear if you want the level or smaller focus box.

Yeah I found your review and have started reading through it. You seem to concentrate on ergonomics ( I figured that out all on my own:biggrin:) and that certainly seems to be my issue with the OM-D lately. If I am not using the full grip with my 12-35 or 75 I find my hand starts to ache after 20-30min of shooting. Battery grip helps buy I really wish the OM-D was just a little bigger (even 1cm wider and deeper) and the grip was also just a little wider/deeper. Sometimes a little makes a BIG difference.

10. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    This is the only bad thing I have experienced so far. It is way to sensetive for me even at the lowest setting.
    But I have solved it by asigning one of the custom buttons next to the trigger to toggle between the view finder and the dispay.
    A bonus with that is that I can very easy switch the display of between takes to save battery.

11. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Where on the island are you located? I'm near Victoria, I have a GH3, recently sold an EM-5.

I think the over & under exposure preview is the only thing I miss from the EM5, and it's more that I appreciated it, rather than miss it when using the GH3.

Brian

12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    One significant thing to consider is that the GH3 seems massive compared with the OM-D. Personally I was never a fan of the Panasonic form factor and now they've gone and up-sized it. YMMV.

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The GH3 doesn't offer highlight blinkies in live view at all (only in playback mode).

There are settings for both options.

I wear glasses and I found the GH3 EVF to be not very good. Worse than the OM-D, that's for sure.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yeah...why does no one else offer that...does Olympus have a patent on this? :confused: It's such a great idea (IMHO/YMMV)

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    My old and cranky Sony DSC-R1 has this feature and it's great.

16. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    The OP addressed this in the first sentence of their first post:

17. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Thing is I don't find the OM-D comfortable for any type of extended shooting unless I have the full grip on. Now if I can use the GH3 without grip then it is actually shorter but still a little wider and probably the same weight.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

18. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The evf definitely seems to be a personal opinion thing. Some (even some with glasses) say it is better than the om-d but allot say it is worse. I'm probably going to be ok as long as it is usable without being a major hindrance.

I couldn't find a GH3 to try so I found the best deal I could on a used one. Should be here this week. So next week either it or my OM-D will be up for sale. However things are already biased in the gh3's favour as I have loaded up on panny glass: 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300 but we will see.

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Why would glass bias one way or the other? I have more Panasonic glass because they have the better zooms right now.

20. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well, much less purple blobs with the 7-14, and auto corrected CA with all lenses. Plus, other than the 7-14, they all have IS so that minimizes the OM-D's IBIS advantage. It's nothing that will "make or break" the decision for me but its does play a small part. If I can't stand the EVF in the gh3 then, it won't matter, but everything else being equal it could decide things. My free time is limited so less time in PP has definite advantages.