1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some G3 Firmware Benefits for the GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Biro, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Depending on one's priorities, the choice between a new G3 and the GH2 can be a bit of a toss-up (outside of price). Myself, tired of waiting for availability of a G3 body-only, am now considering a GH2 body-only.

But there are a couple of benefts offered by the G3 that would be great to have on the GH2 - and to my mind would be easy to get via a simple firmware update.

First, an adjustment to the camera's jpg processing engine that would improve skin tones. Reviews consistantly indicate the G3 has finally made significant progress in this area over previous G-series cameras.

Second, the simplified "made for touch" interface for the LCD screen. Apparently, the GH2 shares the G2's interface in this area. The reviews, again, consistently indicate the G3 has made big progress in this area.

All the talk of firmware updates for the GH2 have focused on video and the ability to hack this function. But, to me, the improvements I outlined above are both desirable and should be easy to achieve. Any thoughts? Has anyone heard any rumors about such updates being in the pipeline?

2. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    I just got a G3, had it for a week. Every improvement I could think of over the G2 suggests that it is THE camera. I had the G2, but too slow, limited ISO. Now with custom buttons I've got it configured for my shooting (adjustab le flash button, viewfinder button for target af, and q menu with just the stuff I want).

Can't see why you'd want to pay more or step back to GH2.

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It would be great if Panasonic upgraded the firmware for the GH2 to offer some of the G3 features.

That said, I can't see giving up my GH2 when my G3 arrives (it will replace my GF1). Using them both... time will tell which rises to the top.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I second that! Enough time, camera use and and information is available and particularly for the Panasonic Flagship Camera!

Best regards,
    Tom