Some E-P2 questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mabelsound, Mar 10, 2010.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

I have recently sold my GF1 and bought an E-P2, which I should have in a few days. The main reason is so that I can use my vintage Olympus Pen lenses indoors, with IBIS, but I was also tempted by the EVF. I'd hoped for a Pro Oly body this spring but it looks like it wasn't in the cards, so E-P2 it is.

A couple of questions for those who have one.

- on the GF1, one has to enable shoot without lens in order to use legacy lenses. Is this necessary on the Oly? If so, what's the procedure?

- the GF1 has one-touch access to magnification for manual focusing--what's the procedure on the Oly? I recall reading that it's rather more difficult to get in and out of magnification, but has this been rectified in a firmware update?

- is the FL-14 the only small flash that works in auto mode on this camera?

- does IBIS eat batteries? I got used to the insanely long life of the GF1 battery.

- does the AF tracking work in movie mode? This would be a great boon, needless to say, when filming a moving person at wide apertures.

- any caveats to using my Panasonic lenses (20/1.7 and the long zoom) on this camera? Does it apply the same corrections that the Pana cameras do?

Thanks, all.
    John

2. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Also, as a dedicated pixel-peeping RAW nerd, I must say that I am rather surprised to find myself anticipating the art filters and in-camera JPEG conversion with considerable excitement.

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    good questions, I'm a G1 owner and thinking of getting an E-P1 or 2 so I'll be interested in the replies. My guess is that AF takes the major slurp from the batteries, as when I'm using legacy lenses on the G1 I get thousands of images from a battery charge.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    - on the GF1, one has to enable shoot without lens in order to use legacy lenses. Is this necessary on the Oly? If so, what's the procedure?

You don't have to set anything, just put on the manual lens and select your exposure preference.

- the GF1 has one-touch access to magnification for manual focusing--what's the procedure on the Oly? I recall reading that it's rather more difficult to get in and out of magnification, but has this been rectified in a firmware update?

You need to press the info button and then the OK to enable the magnification (and then OK again to turn it off - that's with manual lenses). But to make it fast, you need to disable all, or most, of the other info pages. With AF lenses, if you've set the body to AF+MF, the moment you turn the focus ring, the camera goes into magnification mode and off when you half press the release.

- is the FL-14 the only small flash that works in auto mode on this camera?

All Olympus, and possibly the Panasonic, flashes work with the EP-2. I use the FL-36 often, because it's not so big on the EP-2

- does IBIS eat batteries? I got used to the insanely long life of the GF1 battery.

Not really, as it's only activated when you hold down the shutter button.

- does the AF tracking work in movie mode? This would be a great boon, needless to say, when filming a moving person at wide apertures.

Don't know as I've never tried it and pretty much only use manual lenses.

- any caveats to using my Panasonic lenses (20/1.7 and the long zoom) on this camera? Does it apply the same corrections that the Pana cameras do?

As far as I'm aware, the Panasonic lenses work fine with the Olympus bodies, apart from the fact the in-lens IS doesn't work.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 6
  5. benoly

benoly Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2010
    California, USA
    Brian Mosley has a quick start that is very helpful setting up the camera from the menu. It gets you started so that you can learn the menu system. Then you can customize your own settings. Here's the link. http://www.ukphotosafari.org/e-p12-quick-start/
    For example the fn button can be set to toggle between MF & AF.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    John, I always carry a backup battery in a pocket - you can find them cheaply for the Pen (though I understand the advice to only use OEM batteries... at least Olympus give you the choice)... IBIS uses little battery power - but remove the EVF if you're not using it for a while - as it draws a fair bit of power I think.

The jpeg engine corrects for distortion but not for CA. I shoot raw and correct only if necessary which is rare for the 20mm f1.7 and any of the high quality legacy lenses which I use.

Cheers

Brian

7. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Thanks, everyone! I did indeed watch Brian's first video and will review it again when the camera comes. I do hope Oly comes up with a faster method of getting into magnification...though I suspect with the EVF I may not need it...I had a G1 for a while and rarely required magnification.

8. tobeeornot

tobeeornot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi Brian,
    Where do buy your Oly batteries from?
    Cheers,
    Toby

9. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Well, got the E-P2 today, and for what it's worth, this is simply a marvelous camera. I find the menus extremely confusing, even worse than Panasonic's, and the screen kind of disappointing. But the EVF is spectacular--there's no need to use magnification when manual focusing, it's so detailed. Thanks for the advice, all.

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Ray, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these important questions. Very helpful, as of course were Brian's tips, too.

mabelsound, congratulations on your new camera. Great questions and now with the right answers.:thumbup:

11. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I had a P1 for 2 days and never had to read the manual to completely figure it out. Although it does tend to require some odd steps, once you get it figured out it is all the same really. Shot review is instant with a turn of the vertical thumbwheel. They are nicely built that's for sure.

12. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

I pretty much have the settings squared away and the camera is working great. A good idea for aperture-priority legacy lens shooters--in the buttons sub-menu, set the wheels so that the circular thumbwheel controls aperture and the vertical wheel controls exposure compensation. This way the easily-jostled circular wheel effectively does nothing, while the more robust vertical wheel is less likely to get changed by mistake.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Everyone is different in the way they attune to menus, but I've found that if you disable the wheel controls and just use the super control panel ie press the OK button and then navigate the on-screen menu, you can move fast and effectively to any setting (with the exception of the ISO focus adjustment for manual lenses). Once you've set the general parameters in the main menu, you rarely have to go back there again.

Cheers

Ray