1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured some birds with em1.2 and 300f/4

Discussion in 'Nature' started by atomicmak, Feb 28, 2019.

1. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, INDIA
    Mital Patel
    Got the 300 f/4 on loan from olympus india just to try my hands on and found it really good at some point . Yet I am more used to the traditional cameras for long lenses or focal length trying to find the best setting suites for those local birds.

f6373120.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    P2217137.png
    P2217157.png
    P2217284.png
    P2238509.png
    P2248619.png
    P2249222.png
    P2249500.png
    P2279892.png

• Winner Winner x 21
    • Like Like x 20
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Great shots Mital. Are you going to purchase a 300?

3. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
    I am thinking seriously to get this lens. not yet sure cuz those little birds here gives lot of pain to reach and i dont know if this combo is capable in dark woods to focus lock and give sharper images.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Love the second shot!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sam0912

Sam0912 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2012
    @atomicmak@atomicmak great shots, the second shot and the running pelican especially. What would your normal set up be and what did you prefer (and dislike) in the Olympus kit in comparison?

6. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
    Honestly speaking I have had this lens for test on the season over when the lake dried up. My experience with this combination so far for the perched birds in considerable distance this is really great kit. But when it comes to the motion I feel the camera needs some really good capabilities to freeze the subject.

More so over EVF is advantage at some point it is dis-advantage also as when it comes to fast subjects you are lacking speed on evf compare to the camera can handle situation so there is a miss spot. People have been getting really good results and I agree with those who are regular shooters but In my country where you find birds at their safe distance it becomes difficult for skulters and fast moving birds to photograph as it takes fraction of time to lock on and freeze. There are times when slow flying subject in safe distance you get really good results even cropping the frame.

In overall impression I loved the combination but still I feel it would take time to compete with traditional FF and APS-c DSLRs in particular this zone. The statement is to be considered specially when I compare low budget zoom lenses like sigma tamron in 150-600 range and APS-C bodies not the FF+Super Tele.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
    I would surely mention here that possibilities have not been favorable with time I had with this lens. So may be if I get used to certain things may improve as this is completely different experience than what I am used to shooting birds with CANIKON FF+SuperTele like 600, 800mm along with tc hand holding.
    Check out the http://www.wildart.in/ we few birders locally try to work on INDIAN birds.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Rainy and overcast today. Was glassing the other side of the ship channel and spotted a rather large bird perched in a tree about 4-5 hundred yards from me. At first I thought it might be a Bald eagle but naw, it was probably a large Hawk or some other predator. If anyone can id from the poor image please do.
    EM190022.JPG

9. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
    harsh light tuff to say. also plz provide region so may be someone really from ur region look at it and id the bird.

10. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Could you beg, borrow - loan a E-M1X? That would be as good as you can get Olympus AF and this lens. Comparably an awful lot of reach with Olympus and the best IBIS of the bunch adds advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
    Yes I am expecting the Em1X soon as it arrives in INDIA to test again with the Lens. And about the IS i dont know if that helps in good lighting condition or confuses the AF system ..

12. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    No in good lighting it wouldn't, but judge how often are you shooting the 300mm @ 1/200th or so? I do that a lot...in my little side yard, here in little Indiana lol.

13. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Take a look at this - if you can translate it has helpful tips with E-M1X for BIF....

Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography | Olympus E-M1X – Autofocus

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. atomicmak

atomicmak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    Mital Patel
  15. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Fantastic pics!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.