1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Some birds from a few minutes ago...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Djarum, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So, we have a retaining pond right next to where I work. Lots of birds around, but they usually hide pretty much in the trees. Here are a few taken with the Oly 40-150 and E-P1 at 150mm. I have posted the actually image, and a 1:1 pixel crop just to show detail.

ISO 100, 1/500s, f8.0
    P7022816.JPG

P7022816crop.JPG

ISO 100, 1/500s, f7.1
    P7022814.JPG

P7022814crop.JPG

ISO 100, 1/800s, f7.1
    P7022812.JPG

P7022812crop.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice and sharp :2thumbs: thanks for sharing

Cheers

Brian

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Question,
    can any American ornithologist identify this species, my field guide on birds east of the Rockies would suggest an Eastern Kingbird, certainly the structure and open perching habit immediately suggested a flycatcher species to this mere limey ornithologist.

Barrie

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure if anyone is losing much on the long end with the new 14-140. I think once I get some funds, it will replace this one. Right now, I'm having fun with this. Only complaint I have is that the focus box is too big for small objects, so sometimes focus is missed.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    There are three pictures, but two seperate birds. They do look similar though. I live in Alabama, and I use this site to help me:

Birds in Alabama

Dj

• Like Like x 1
  6. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the nice images!

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks djarum, brilliant site, description of status and habitat would seem to fit, quoted below from the site:-

Tyrannus tyrannus. Breeder. Common in spring, summer, and fall in all regions. Found in open rural areas with scattered trees and shrubs, along woodland edges, and in agricultural fields with hedgerows, especially near ponds or rivers. Low Conservation Concern.

Many thanks,

Barrie

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    You know that if you switch to the green box info display, position the small box and press OK... CDAF will use the small focusing patch.

It's not necessary to zoom in on the E-P2 or E-PL1 for CDAF to use the small green box for focusing.

Cheers

Brian

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    No problem. Here in the Tennessee valley, we have a wide variety of birds. I like to take pictures of birds, but I'm not quite into habitat..etc of the birds. I'm actually more of a fish person.

We have a Cardinal that lives in the trees around where I live, and its elusive for trying to get a good shot. Prettiest bird in the wild I think I've ever seen. American Robbins on the other hand come out all the time around here.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure what you mean. When I took these, I used center spot focusing. The problem is, in the case of these small birds, the birds were only half the size of the box. So if a branch was in the frame inside the box, for example, that would get focused on instead of the bird.

11. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    You've certainly got a good range of Flycatchers in your state, makes our 2 summer visiting flycatcher species seem like poor fare.