Solved: Using Canon 58m f1.2 on Canon FD/FL adaptors — "pull the pin"!!!!

iGonzoid

Mu-43 Veteran
At last I seem to have got it right. Long story, bear with me. Recently I got a divine Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L, an awesome beast, which I have honoured with a Metabones Canon FD to m4/3 adapter. Works perfectly. Thinking of a Christmas present for my son, I picked up a near mint Canon FL 58mm f1.2 but found that a Fotodix Canon FD to m4/3 adapter that I bought for it would not fit —*the projecting pin inside the adapter that moves when you rotate the locking ring, clashes with the lenses aperture shutdown ring in the lens fitting position.
Online I found various opinions about whether this could be corrected [it seems to be a particular problem with the FL 58mm f1.2 rather than all FL lenses on FD adapters]. Then on a Sony related forum I found advice regarding this lens on an unnamed adapter for Nex — "Just remove the screw that controls the aperture lever on the lens [He actually means the screw/bolt on the adapter.] On an FL lens you won't need it anyway because the lens has its own aperture ring."
Dug out my set of mini screwdrivers and undid the said bolt that screws in on the adapter barrel and emerges inside to engage the lenses aperture ring. Now, however, the on/off locking ring on the adapter does goes further than its previous position because it does not have the screw/bolt to stop it. It does have two click stops before it starts turning further, marking the old on/off positions. Now it seems to work perfectly if I stay with the click stops. I will probably shorten the screw/bolt so it does not catch on the lens aperture lever before replacing it.
I really should have got the FD 55mm f1.2, which would not have had this problem.
Anyone else had this problem on an otherwise fine lens?

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The older 55mm fd chrome nose has certain issues with adapters as well when the bayonet engages it stretches the spring inside the aperture control with undue force, my spring eventually stretched to the point where the aperture would no longer work. Discussing it with the repair guys they said just keep the adapter on as the stretching happens when the adapter engages onto the lens. Completely worth the repair though those old chrome nose ones are just a delight, I love that focus ring, and radioactive coatings.

rizaaroni

New to Mu-43
I bought a Canon 58mm FL 1.2 and a Fotasy adapter. The adapter won't work with the aperture pin in it, but I can't figure out how best to get the pin to work. Without it, there is no aperture control. :-(

Any ideas?

kurtwist

Mu-43 Veteran
Canon FD/FL adapters can be problematic. The unit from CIECIO7 is properly designed - eliminated the puny pin - and has worked perfectly for me. Fotasy-Metabones -the difference that I can see is in finish and price same design flaws

kurtwist

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, that is the correct link. Works fine - you still have aperture control? Sadly I do not have the Canon 58mm f1.2 FL to check. My Nikon f1.2 is such a sterling example that I have stayed with it to the exclusion of all other 50-60MM F1.2s. The 85mm Canon 1.2 FD is really a gem - one of my very favorite lenses!

rizaaroni

New to Mu-43
I have aperture control only because I've put a piece of paper in the rear of the lens to keep the pin activate. Not sure what the better term would be. It is simply stuck in the closed position now. Not an ideal solution though.

W

WithOpenedEyes

Just unscrew the pin and you can use the pre set ring on the lens to actuate the diaphragm. It's the small ring with the white dot next towards the camera from the aperture ring. Very simple once you look inside while trying this.

W

WithOpenedEyes

And the K&F Concept adapter has the pin with a reasonable sized slotted head...comes right out. I'd probably try to fit a small screw to seal this though. I've learned with Canon adapters to just get one for each lens. That way, you're not dealing with trying to engage the pin properly.

W

WithOpenedEyes

Just FYI...the earlier FL lenses featured a preset ring. 2nd generation FL glass used a A/M ring near the breechlock ring. That's one way of telling which version one has.

W

WithOpenedEyes

At last I seem to have got it right. Long story, bear with me. Recently I got a divine Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L, an awesome beast, which I have honoured with a Metabones Canon FD to m4/3 adapter. Works perfectly. Thinking of a Christmas present for my son, I picked up a near mint Canon FL 58mm f1.2 but found that a Fotodix Canon FD to m4/3 adapter that I bought for it would not fit —*the projecting pin inside the adapter that moves when you rotate the locking ring, clashes with the lenses aperture shutdown ring in the lens fitting position.
Online I found various opinions about whether this could be corrected [it seems to be a particular problem with the FL 58mm f1.2 rather than all FL lenses on FD adapters]. Then on a Sony related forum I found advice regarding this lens on an unnamed adapter for Nex — "Just remove the screw that controls the aperture lever on the lens [He actually means the screw/bolt on the adapter.] On an FL lens you won't need it anyway because the lens has its own aperture ring."
Dug out my set of mini screwdrivers and undid the said bolt that screws in on the adapter barrel and emerges inside to engage the lenses aperture ring. Now, however, the on/off locking ring on the adapter does goes further than its previous position because it does not have the screw/bolt to stop it. It does have two click stops before it starts turning further, marking the old on/off positions. Now it seems to work perfectly if I stay with the click stops. I will probably shorten the screw/bolt so it does not catch on the lens aperture lever before replacing it.
I really should have got the FD 55mm f1.2, which would not have had this problem.
Anyone else had this problem on an otherwise fine lens?
You probably would have paid $100 to $200 more though...or higher.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
99% of FD problems are because people don't follow the directions of putting it on with a twist in the opposite direction first, then allowing it to fall on and engage.

The videos are pretty clear. You just have to pay attention to them as if they were instructing you. This video shows both new FD and the older style

W

WithOpenedEyes

The main problem with this lens is that, like a few of the earlier version FL's, it has the "hump" in back section that interferes with the pin on the standard FD/FL adapters. There isn't enough clearance to fit properly. This isn't a problem on the 2nd generation FL's. But removing the pin and using the preset ring is the work around.

rizaaroni

New to Mu-43
Just unscrew the pin and you can use the pre set ring on the lens to actuate the diaphragm. It's the small ring with the white dot next towards the camera from the aperture ring. Very simple once you look inside while trying this.

The real MVP right here. Took me a second to figure out how that worked, but I'm golden now. Thanks!

W

WithOpenedEyes

Yeah...it's a bit inconvenient, but once you see how it works it's OK. If you change f stops, you have to move the ring to make it actually move the diaphragm. I wouldn't have known this a year ago..it's only because I own a couple of FL's now, and did a lot of reading about them. Glad you got it figured out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom