Solved: Lens Hood for Original Oly 14-42mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oldracer, Apr 10, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    When I discovered how compact and cheap the original 14-42mm lenses were, I bought one to use on my GF2. I was dismayed, however, to discover the goofy 40,5mm filter threads and the fact that no one, including Oly, made a hood for the lens. For reasons that are off-topic to this post, I am a lens hood believer.

Solution:

I spent three bucks with "Digital Goja" on eBay and bought a 40.5mm to 52mm step-up ring. 52mm is the filter size for my 9-18mm, the main lens for the GF2.

[​IMG]

I then pawed through the used/junk box at my local camera shop and bought two Nikon hoods. (Almost all the old film Nikon lenses up through the 200/f4 were 52mm.)

The 35/2.8 hood threaded on nicely and produced no vignetting even when used on top of a skylight filter.

Oly_Shade_1_of_2_.

I also bought a 50/f2 shade because, unlike the first one, it is a snap-in style. It vignetted badly, of course, so I tried cutting it down in my lathe. That worked to a point, but I discovered that the snap-in spring ring itself is actually wide enough to produce very slight vignetting on its own. So not a totally successful experiment.

I will still use this cut-down hood, though, because of its handy ability to be reversed on the lens and used with a 53mm Nikon snap-in cap. I'll just have to remember that I need to be stopped down or zoomed slightly to avoid having to correct the vignetting in post.

I always wondered why the wide-angle Nikon hoods were screw-in rather than snap. Now I know.

I hope this helps someone. I searched the forums in vain for a solution to this problem. This is a pretty decent one IMHO.

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    There are plenty of 40.5 rubber hoods. Thom Hogan recommends them for use on the 14-42. Any reason why you chose this vs the rubber hood option?

3. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Not overwhelmingly strong ones, though.

For one thing, I think rigid hoods provide better impact protection when the camera is swung or bumped into something.

I actually ordered a rubber one from B&H but due to an error on their end I did not get it. In the mean time, I acquired a Cokin "A" filter holder for my 9-18mm, 52mm filter thread, and I have a couple of 52mm polarizers. So it was kind of a no-brainer to convert the 14-42 to a 52mm filter thread. Once that was done, the Nikon hoods were an easy choice.

4. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
  5. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Update:

Playing around a little more I found the the Nikon spring-ring would vignette only if the hood was mounted on top of a filter. No filter, no vignette. So I went back to the camera store junk box and came home with a 105/f2.5 hood. I found that cutting it back almost to the angled section produced a nice hood that did not vignette.

Also, in post #3 I forgot to mention that I also like hoods that will reverse on the lens for carrying. So another reason I'm fooling with the spring-ring hoods. And it worked out pretty well:

[​IMG]

So now I have a reversible hood for everyday use, but when I have a polarizer or other filter on the lens I will use the screw-in 35/f2.8 hood.

ryansinibaldi: If you can find someone with a small metal-cutting lathe, they should be able to cut that hood back a little bit for you and eliminate the vignetting. You could also cut it back using a belt sander and a little patience or even just rubbing the hood face on a piece of sandpaper set on a flat surface. That will take even more patience, however. If you don't like the resulting bright edge you could either paint it or use some of this stuff: Birchwood Casey: Finishing Details

Monza76: Have you tried that shade? From looking at it I would guess that it will vignette pretty badly at 28mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.