Solved: Lens Hood for Original Oly 14-42mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oldracer, Apr 10, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    When I discovered how compact and cheap the original 14-42mm lenses were, I bought one to use on my GF2. I was dismayed, however, to discover the goofy 40,5mm filter threads and the fact that no one, including Oly, made a hood for the lens. For reasons that are off-topic to this post, I am a lens hood believer.

Solution:

I spent three bucks with "Digital Goja" on eBay and bought a 40.5mm to 52mm step-up ring. 52mm is the filter size for my 9-18mm, the main lens for the GF2.

[​IMG]

I then pawed through the used/junk box at my local camera shop and bought two Nikon hoods. (Almost all the old film Nikon lenses up through the 200/f4 were 52mm.)

The 35/2.8 hood threaded on nicely and produced no vignetting even when used on top of a skylight filter.

Oly_Shade_1_of_2_.

I also bought a 50/f2 shade because, unlike the first one, it is a snap-in style. It vignetted badly, of course, so I tried cutting it down in my lathe. That worked to a point, but I discovered that the snap-in spring ring itself is actually wide enough to produce very slight vignetting on its own. So not a totally successful experiment.

I will still use this cut-down hood, though, because of its handy ability to be reversed on the lens and used with a 53mm Nikon snap-in cap. I'll just have to remember that I need to be stopped down or zoomed slightly to avoid having to correct the vignetting in post.

I always wondered why the wide-angle Nikon hoods were screw-in rather than snap. Now I know.

I hope this helps someone. I searched the forums in vain for a solution to this problem. This is a pretty decent one IMHO.

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    There are plenty of 40.5 rubber hoods. Thom Hogan recommends them for use on the 14-42. Any reason why you chose this vs the rubber hood option?

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Not overwhelmingly strong ones, though.

For one thing, I think rigid hoods provide better impact protection when the camera is swung or bumped into something.

I actually ordered a rubber one from B&H but due to an error on their end I did not get it. In the mean time, I acquired a Cokin "A" filter holder for my 9-18mm, 52mm filter thread, and I have a couple of 52mm polarizers. So it was kind of a no-brainer to convert the 14-42 to a 52mm filter thread. Once that was done, the Nikon hoods were an easy choice.

4. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Update:

Playing around a little more I found the the Nikon spring-ring would vignette only if the hood was mounted on top of a filter. No filter, no vignette. So I went back to the camera store junk box and came home with a 105/f2.5 hood. I found that cutting it back almost to the angled section produced a nice hood that did not vignette.

Also, in post #3 I forgot to mention that I also like hoods that will reverse on the lens for carrying. So another reason I'm fooling with the spring-ring hoods. And it worked out pretty well:

[​IMG]

So now I have a reversible hood for everyday use, but when I have a polarizer or other filter on the lens I will use the screw-in 35/f2.8 hood.

ryansinibaldi: If you can find someone with a small metal-cutting lathe, they should be able to cut that hood back a little bit for you and eliminate the vignetting. You could also cut it back using a belt sander and a little patience or even just rubbing the hood face on a piece of sandpaper set on a flat surface. That will take even more patience, however. If you don't like the resulting bright edge you could either paint it or use some of this stuff: Birchwood Casey: Finishing Details

Monza76: Have you tried that shade? From looking at it I would guess that it will vignette pretty badly at 28mm.