SOLVED: Images displayed larger than uploaded size - is this normal?

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
I haven't been posting many images recently so maybe the following is how things have always been and I just never noticed. I just want to check if it is expected behaviour.

I posted some images today and was uneasy with the way they appeared when I viewed them after posting (in Chrome on a Windows 10 desktop with 1920x1080 monitor). For example the round tower in this photo looks noticeably less sharp than in my local version.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If I right-click and download the posted photo I get back the same 800x800px file I uploaded, so the file itself is not being modified - it is something to do with how it is displayed. It seems that when I have the browser open to the full width of the desktop the photo occupies 1000x1000 pixels or something close to that, so some kind of upscaling is taking place. Is that normal? Maybe it is controlled by the browser rather than the forum? I was mainly using Chrome but I see the same thing in Edge.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Testing what happens with a very small upload (200x200px):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hmmm... it appears small, so it is certainly not being upscaled to fill all available width or anything like that. But again it looks bigger than the original upload... 250x250 instead of 200x200. So it looks like both version are increased in size by 25% for some reason.

Maybe something in my own browser settings... I have page zoom at 100% but maybe something else is going on.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
OK, I think this is a Windows setting issue. It turns out that that i had "change the size of text, apps, and other items" set to 125%. Apparently "other items" includes jpg images when displayed in a browser. Setting it to 100% cause my (and everybody else's) images to look as I would expect... at the cost of making all the text look tiny.

Top Bottom