1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[SOLVED] E-M5 focus problem: wandering center point

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mabelsound, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Enjoying the E-M5, but can't seem to solve this problem. I shoot in aperture priority mode, with single autofocus set to the center focus point. I spot meter. I use the focus-and-recompose method, and I DO NOT want the camera to second-guess where I want it to focus, EVER. When it's set to the center point, I want it to stay in the center, period. But maybe three times out of ten the camera decides to put the focus point elsewhere. I went to custom > AF/MF > Set Home and set the point to center--what else do I have to do to make it stay there for good?

2. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

I don't have face detection turned on, BTW.

3. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Well, I seem to have somehow fixed this by futzing around in the super control menu, which I didn't realize existed until I discovered it by accident. Not sure how I did it exactly--came up with a grid view and moved the box to the center. Why this should matter, when I already moved a different box to the center in a different grid view, but whatever.

I am an intelligent person with enormous experience in operating both cameras and computers, and I can say with confidence that this thing has the most user-unfriendly menus of any device I have ever seen.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Is the touchscreen switched off? If you have the touchscreen on either touch capture mode or touch focus mode, you might have switched focus point by accidentally touching the screen...

5. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Touchscreen is off. I did not switch focus points; the camera was doing it automatically.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    my focus point seems to be moved randomly all on its own accord much of the time as well. I purposely move it to a desired spot where it works for an image or two, then somehow moves somewhere else, seemingly without any input on my part. I'm thinking I must not have a setting right somewhere...

7. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Try enabling the Super Control menu for your desired mode (menu, *D, camera control settings), then enter into the SCP by hitting info and then OK in shooting mode. Choose the focus point selection grid and move the point into the center. Hit OK. That seems to do it. This would appear to be something different from custom > AF/MF > Set Home.

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    mabelsound... I do set the focus point from the SCM. It's just that the camera subsequently moves the point elsewhere. I'm sure I just don't know this new camera nearly well enough yet. :rolleyes:

9. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

hmm, maybe my problem shall unsolve itself before long...egad...

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No, it's just someone didn't read their manual.

The "Set Home" setting is for when you are using the "QuickAF" that can be programmed into an Fn button.

The regular focus positioning is set via the Super Control Panel, and instructions on how to do that can be found at:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/em5-af-area-changed-9-points-29279/