SOLVED: Advice on upgrading

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
In 2016 I bought a G6 for myself and an em10 mk1 for my girlfriend. I am now contemplating selling one of them and buying another newer m43. We are both amateurs in photography and mostly use the cameras for family vacations, so portability and affordability are most important.

After a recent trip to Norway I was left with very mixed feelings about the em10 mk1.
Things I love:
  • design, build and portability
  • image quality and high quality viewfinder
  • stabilization
Things I hate:
  • no indication of where the MF is between infinity and macro like the G6 has
  • accidentally triggering the viewfinder negates any mode you are in and brings you to photo taking - really annoying when viewing the gallery. Related to this, the menu is not accessible on the viewfinder
  • no pinch to zoom and no focusing on the touchscreen while using the viewfinder like the G6 has
  • overall clunkier menu than G6
  • focus peaking is very slow and the magnifying MF assist requires endless adjustment with the navigation buttons
  • no electronic shutter
I love my G6 for its versatility and comfort and the only drawbacks I find with it are an inferior night time image quality and no digital indication of the focal length like the em10 has. The lack of in-body IS is no big deal given how cheap it was. I don't think we would care for 4k in the next year or so, but higher res and frames in video are always welcome.

Overall, I was considering the em10 mk3 but I am not sure how many of mk1's flaws it would solve for me. What would be your suggestions for a moderate update of the gear?

Cheers!

PS.
I really think it is a pity how these cameras grow old too fast due to outdated software...

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Since you like the G6, maybe a G80/85 will suit. I went from G6 to G80 and I like the new features like IBIS and Dual IS.
The G6 was enough for me but I succumbed to GAS and bought the G80. It is a better camera in my view but the G6 is still great.

If you would like to try range finder style cameras there is a bunch of them, (I have the GM5 but is not in stock any longer), so maybe GX85 or some of the others can be an option?

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Unfortunately, you've named some things off that you want/like that are pretty brand specific, so it might be best to figure out what's most important. It sure seems like you are leaning toward Panasonic, just know that:

1) The colors (still) aren't the same as Olympus
2) You won't get focal length displayed on screen (but you can see it when reviewing images in playback)
3) No Live composite mode, which is really fun/cool
4) Their camera design won't win any style points, except maybe the GX7/8
5) Panasonic viewfinders can be hit and miss. G85, GH5, G9 are all good/great, but the field sequential ones in the GX85, GX9, etc are pretty bad

With that said, if you can live with those "issues," I think you'll be happy. I've got the G9 myself and am super satisfied, and I've got the E-M5, E-M10ii, and E-M1. Occasionally I like to break one of those out for live composite or because using the retro styled camera body is fun, but functionally, Panasonic creates great cameras. Just to throw this into the mix, the G85 also brings with it weather sealing, which can be really useful, as well as a flip out screen, which I love for tripod work.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In 2016 I bought a G6 for myself and an em10 mk1 for my girlfriend. I am now contemplating selling one of them and buying another newer m43. We are both amateurs in photography and mostly use the cameras for family vacations, so portability and affordability are most important.

After a recent trip to Norway I was left with very mixed feelings about the em10 mk1.
Things I love:
  • design, build and portability
  • image quality and high quality viewfinder
  • stabilization
Things I hate:
  • no indication of where the MF is between infinity and macro like the G6 has
  • accidentally triggering the viewfinder negates any mode you are in and brings you to photo taking - really annoying when viewing the gallery. Related to this, the menu is not accessible on the viewfinder
  • no pinch to zoom and no focusing on the touchscreen while using the viewfinder like the G6 has
  • overall clunkier menu than G6
  • focus peaking is very slow and the magnifying MF assist requires endless adjustment with the navigation buttons
  • no electronic shutter
I love my G6 for its versatility and comfort and the only drawbacks I find with it are an inferior night time image quality and no digital indication of the focal length like the em10 has. The lack of in-body IS is no big deal given how cheap it was. I don't think we would care for 4k in the next year or so, but higher res and frames in video are always welcome.

Overall, I was considering the em10 mk3 but I am not sure how many of mk1's flaws it would solve for me. What would be your suggestions for a moderate update of the gear?

Cheers!

PS.
I really think it is a pity how these cameras grow old too fast due to outdated software...

2 things strike me. Why go beyond G6? if you love it a used copy may be available on the used market for a really good price(mine cost $150 18 months ago). Later models will reflect 4k video pricing, for something you don’t really want.
The other thing on my mind is... Is your girl friend dissatisfied with HER camera? You seem to be talking about your dissatisfaction with her camera...does she want a replacement?

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The other way, it seems, that the op could ask this is "what camera should I pair with my G6?". I think you have to determine if you want the most similar camera, so you can grab either and have the same experience, or do you want something that complements your main camera?

When I shot more I often carried two bodies, and always went for complementary.

I never minded having two different brands in the bag, in fact I enjoy playing with different interfaces in an ongoing effort to find what is best for me. Or maybe I'm just a gear-head.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've got two G6's, and they are almost worthless on the second hand market.
Sell the Olympus 10 and get another G6.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
It might come with some of the same issues as your E-M10, but the E-M1 (version 1) is also fairly easy to come by these days, and a workhorse of a camera.

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
Thank you for the insightful replies! It was useful to know that many of the differences are really brand- rather than generation-specific.

As some of you have pointed out, although I personally like Panasonic's features, there's no denying the Olympus's style and exclusive features are really fun. Complementarity is precisely the reason I settled initially for these two cameras.

I suppose for now I will wait and once 4k60 cameras become the mid-tier norm in 1-2 years I will look into upgrading. It seems both the G6 and e-m10 have already reached their lowest in the second-hand market, so there is no real rush contrary to what I was afraid of.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The G6 1080 p video is pretty good. The time lapse video too.
So much going for them, so cheap really. Selling them doesn't make any sense at all!
I'm keeping mine until it breaks.

If you have a photo store nearby that has experienced sales people, I suggest you visit and get some advice and try out different cameras. Nothing beats checking out stuff hands on. Cameras drop in price after a few months so there are plenty of options for you.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
There are advantages to both sides of the system. Other than the EVF a GX85/GX9 might answer some of your "things I like about the E-M10" - Build, portability, and IBIS. One of your dislikes, the EVF switching, you can turn off auto switch and just use the button? You also have "no electronic shutter" on there, all the newer bodies have that.

What lenses do you have? The current Panasonic bodies do have IBIS and will work with many Panasonic lenses for Dual IS where the two work together. But if you have non stabilized lenses they upgraded the IBIS form the E-M10 mkI to the full 5 axis system so that could be a plus for Olympus.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

...I love my G6 for its versatility and comfort and the only drawbacks I find with it are an inferior night time image quality

I'm curious, what about the night time image quality is inferior? Would it be camera JPG output (compared to the Oly) or is it an artifact of it not having IBIS?

Myself I moved my GF1 over onto a P12-32 and that breathed new life into it ... OIS and a compact lens (previously I'd needed to use the 14-45 to get OIS).
So without knowing the answers to those questions I side with this

2 things strike me. Why go beyond G6? ...

You won't gain much in noise
snr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

..but you will gain a little in high ISO Dynamic range
dnr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
Thank you for the graphs @pellicle ! I guess it really could have just been the jpegs and the slightly better dynamic range of the e-m10. Again, another reason not to upgrade given my limited knowledge and experience :)

Real Name
Andrew L
It sure seems like you are leaning toward Panasonic, just know that:

1) The colors (still) aren't the same as Olympus
The colors as of GX85/G85 are fantastic, and the L Monochrome mode beats any B&W mode Olympus has. I would say the standard JPEG mode with Panasonic is now at least as good as Olympus. This is an old opinion.

Real Name
Andrew L
Okay, my opinion on this is that you definitely need to shake that old G6. It has old, ugly JPEG colors, noted shutter shock at times, and is missing out on a lot of the latest things that make Panasonic cameras great. Get a G85, or a GX9 if you don't mind the ergonomics difference, for the 20MP sensor.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The colors as of GX85/G85 are fantastic, and the L Monochrome mode beats any B&W mode Olympus has. I would say the standard JPEG mode with Panasonic is now at least as good as Olympus. This is an old opinion.
I prefer the colors from my E-M1 mkII over the GX85 I had. But L-Monochrome will be missed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom