Solutions for SD-card backup while traveling without a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tadgh78, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    I'm going to be travelling for 6 weeks in Australia with my GH3 later in the year and naturally I want to take lots of photos and video to document the trip.

I reckon I'll be filling a 32gb SD card about every 3 days so, mostly with video. Therefor I'd need 15 32gb cards for the trip.

The problem with that, is that as I don't envisage ever being away from a computer for that length of time again foreseeable future, buying so many cards would be a waste.

If I had a laptop I could simply transfer the files to the laptops hard drive, unfortunately I don't own a laptop, however I will be bringing an Ipad.

So I'm wondering, is there such a thing as a device that would allow me to transfer photo and video files from an SD card to a portable Hard drive, perhaps using the ipad as some sort of hub?

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    iPad and store the pics in the cloud via iCloud or Dropbox.

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Have a look at the Kingston MobileLite. About the same size as a smartphone, lets you transfer files to any USB device. I have one, and it seems to work :)

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    And the cloud as backup (see dornblaser above)

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Forget online backup. I have traveled all over the world, from USA hotels/motels, to OECD countries and to very poor ones, and have NEVER had a wifi connection fast enough to back up a significant number of photos. Never. As in: Not once. That is not to say that you might not get lucky once in a while but I would not count on it.

I don't do video, so my solution is to rotate my cameras daily across about 8 SD cards, then store the SD cards in two or three different bags and never in a bag that I check. This means that a lost or bad card or a lost or stolen camera will result in only about 1/8 of the trip's photos being lost.

Last trip (Ethiopia/January) I took a 320GB COLORSPACE UDMA2 (http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/HDU2-000.html) drive that I picked up on eBay for cheap. It's a little larger than a US pack of cigarettes and is programmed strictly as a photo backup device so it is simple to use. It worked pretty well and was adequately fast to back up both my and my wife's daily take in maybe 5 minutes. This is a fairly old design and quite expensive (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ma2320_320GB_HyperDrive_COLORSPACE_UDMA2.html), but there may be newer, cheaper backup alternatives available now.

Edit: I just re-read your post. You're planning to transfer your images and video to another device and then re-use the SD cards? That's not backup. That's having all your eggs in one basket. Foolish, IMO, considering the cost and effort of the trip versus the small cost of a handful of SD cards.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Don't count on cloud/dropbox. Glacial. I took a 128gb thumb drive and a 2tb hd which I could connect to my tablet. My wife carried the thumbdrive as separate backup. In hindsight the thumbdrive was all I needed. Take 3-4. You probably need some spendy proprietary gadget for the ithing though ;) Do they have any generic connections at all? USB3?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

I have to agree with oldracer about reusing your SD cards. Cards are very inexpensive now, just purchase enough.

As to iCloud/Dropbox working well on an iPad, that is the solution that I actually use and we don't have a problem uploading our 32GB and 64GB SD cards when traveling. If we are off-grid, or semi-off grid, I still download to the iPad and it will upload when we have service or WiFi. There are number of 1TB wireless devices that you can use with an iPad. Many create their own WiFi network so that you can transfer movies and pictures back in forth. The problem that I have any of the external drives is that folks often carry them in the same bag that they carry their SD cards, etc., in. That is why I like cloud back-up, if something were to happen to your kit, you will still have a back-up.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Ditch iPad, pick cheap chromebook with 2 USB ports and 2 external SSD drives - copy your shots to both drives daily and store drives in separate locations (one on you, on in bag?).

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Where have you traveled that this approach worked?

11. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    No, unfortunately Ipads just have the one proprietary power/ data port. The thumb drive idea looks interesting because if one dies or gets lost you still haven't lost everything. But I'd still need a device to transfer the files from the SD card to the thumb drive.

The kingston Mobilite might do the job, but I'm still not sure from the documentation if it will transfer files from an SD card directly to a thumb drive or only from one or the other to the tablet. BigTam, have you ever tried that?

12. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    This. And get the thumbdrives which you never carry together as others have said. probably cheaper than the iThing gadgets

13. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I just connected the camera directly to the tablet with a usb cable. Saved carrying a card reader. My tablet only has a microSD slot which is used for more hd space. I do have microSD cards used in a carrier but it's too much hassle to pull them out and stick them in the tablet every night. This required 2 usb ports which my tablet has. If you only have one then it is a 2-step process.

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I can vouch that Australian internet is absolute trash and this approach won't work even in the capital cities, I'm what's generally seen as a fast fixed fiber connection and it would take me an hour and a half to upload 32gb. It only gets worse the further away from cities you get.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    USA and the UK primarily. For third world countries I would take an external drive as well.

Oh, then that would call for an external drive.

16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Scotland, barely had internet in the Highlands. Edinburgh, faster but not fast enough.
    Recent western US roadtrip, nowhere we stayed.

17. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    [QUOTE="Tadgh78, post: 803541, member: 15583"... ]if it will transfer files from an SD card directly to a thumb drive[/QUOTE]

Yes; if your camera has WiFi it will transfer the files direct to a USB drive. You need the MobileLite app. I have the Android version, not sure about the Apple stuff.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Scotland is on my bucket list. We stay at different places, when we were in Seattle I uploaded ~ 700 pics one evening in the background.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are space and weight considerations? And for those recommending thumb drives, are these to store a second copy of the files?

--Ken

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I dont not believe that raw files are transferred by wifi from the camera, only jpegs IIRC.

--Ken

• Useful Useful x 1