1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Solution to the different colour interpretation by Chrome and other aps?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MidasKiss, Dec 20, 2015.

1. MidasKiss

MidasKiss Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey everyone,

I was going to put this in the processing forum, but the answer probably isn't related to that at all. If there was a beginners forum this would definitely belong there.

After looking for a long time I finally bought into M43. I've taken a edited a bunch of photos and was hoping to finally start contributing to the forums rather than just asking questions. However I noticed something I must have just been missing when I was using my older camera - my lightroom exports were looking much darker than I processed them in flickr. A quick google search revealed that it's not a problem of the export settings/files but a problem of colour management of programs like windows photo viewer and, alarmingly, google chrome which is what I've been viewing all the photos on here with, and what I (and I assume many others) look at my flickr pictures with. Programs light paint (of all things) show the image as I exported it.

So what's the solution? Is there a way to correct the colour management of the different programs I use? I found a few things that didn't work for chrome so far. Should I just lighten my images before exporting them? I feel like this will lose highlight detail for no good reason. Do I just accept that web viewing isn't ideal?

If it wasn't clear what I'm talking about, the below image is a good example where chrome completely exaggerates the shadows and loses all detail in the hair etc. Feels like I used some terrible Instagram filter.

Thanks!

Lightroom vs export.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Make sure that when you export you're doing so as sRGB with an embedded profile, many programs will ignore the profile anyway and interpret as... sRGB!

Basically everything web = sRGB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MidasKiss

MidasKiss Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    It's definitely sRGB (that was some of the first advice I read) but maybe I'm not embedding it. Thanks!

Edit: As far as I understand, I'm exporting it as JPEG with the sRGB colour space which I presume is the embedded profile.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  4. MidasKiss

MidasKiss Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    OK so I did a bit more digging, if I choose other for the profile I can choose the profile of my monitor, and now it seems to be identical. Is this the best solution?

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Chrome only uses colour management when the embedded profile is present, if it's stripped you get gaudy inaccurate colours no matter what profile you use. By using your monitors profile it might look good for you however likely rubbish for everyone else as their monitors won't be the same.

Firefox supports rendering pictures with no profile as sRGB if you change a setting to enable it, I believe IE also does this by default (or whatever they're calling IE these days).

• Like Like x 1