1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

solution for determining GX7 shutter actuation

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gdawg, Dec 30, 2013.

1. gdawg

gdawg New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    California
    I apologize if the following information is are ready well known and posted elsewhere in this form. However a month ago I remember reading someone posting this question and there was no response so wanted to contribute. I own a gx7 and have been able to determine the shutter actuation as well as other data by using the following steps that is cut and pasted from a dpreview forum. According to that thread the steps are identical for the GX one. I have also attached photos of the data that is displayed on the GX7 so that you can see what to expect when you follow the steps below 20131211_095914. 20131211_095922. 20131211_095914. 20131211_095922.

With your camera's battery well charged, perform the following steps in sequence:
    Insert a memory card into the card slot;
    Turn the camera ON and take a picture;
    Turn the camera OFF;
    Select single shot mode;
    Press and hold simultaneously the DISPLAY, AF/AE LOCK, and RIGHT ARROW buttons, while turning the camera ON;
    Now, press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button together with the MENU/SET and LEFT ARROW buttons;
    Repeat the last step, that is press and hold the AF/AE LOCK button while pressing the MENU/SET and LEFT ARROW buttons. A two-page operation history display will appear;
    Press DISPLAY to toggle between the two information menus;
    Write down the number next to PWRCNT. This is how many times the camera has been powered up;
    Write down the number next to SHTCNT. This is the shutter activation count;
    Write down the number next to STBCNT. This is the number of times the flash has fired;
    Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter actuations information!

• Like Like x 3
  2. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Hi, gdawg, Thank you ! The same procedure works for the G6, I just checked.
    AndrewS

3. gdawg

gdawg New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    California
    Glad I could be of help AndrewS. Also The same steps also work on GX1. I have done the same steps and obtained a similar screen on my GX1.

4. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks gdwag, but I couldn't make it work (on GX7).

If the camera is OFF, how can I select a 'single shot mode'? Do you mean 'P A S or M' on the Modes dial?

It does require some fingers acrobatics, but I think I followed the instructions correctly:

In step 1, I have to press and hold all three buttons DISPLAY, AF/AE LOCK, and RIGHT ARROW while turning the camera ON.
    In step 2 and 3 I press and hold AF/AE LOCK button together with the MENU/SET and then press the LEFT ARROW button.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Moshe

5. gdawg

gdawg New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    California
    mronen,
    It is serious finger acrobatics and is easier if the camera is held portrait and using both hands. It takes a few times.
    In response to your questions
    1.when I do it , i have PASM mode set to AUTO and it works. I just did it again this morning to double check that I am telling you correct info. My gut feeling is any mode would have been fine
    2.I agree with your comment if camera is off, you cannot select single shot mode. I should have modified that cut and paste to say that step one is to ensure your camera is not in drive mode then turn it off and go through the steps and it should be fine.
    3.You do have to hold all 3 buttons while turning camera ON in step 1 and in step 2 also hold all 3.
    If you are unsuccesful, my bet is you were unable to hold all 3 down for the duration of the step. These buttons love to pop back up and are not made to be held down easily, let alone holding all 3. Just try it again and focus on the hold. It works .

6. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks gdwag, it worked!

As they say: 'If it doesn't work by force, try more force!'

It seems the number on the first line is the 'Internal Serial Number' found in the EXIF. It consists of (probably) Model, a date and four digits serial. This number is different than the serial on the camera body and packing box.

Thanks, you made my day!

Moshe

7. gdest

gdest New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2014
    It worked for my DMC-G6.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    In steps 2 and 3, how long do I have to hold AF/AE LOCK, MENU/SET and LEFT ARROW BUTTON? I can't get it to work :(

EDIT: Nevermind I got it to work. THANKS!! :D

9. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    "...the number next to SHTCNT. This is the shutter activation count..."

Does it refer to the mechanical shutter or electronic and mechanical, combined? If we are worried about shutter wear, it would make more sense to count only the mechanical activations.

Moshe

10. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Mechanical only, which is as it should be.

I was wondering the same thing so I took a few pictures with the electronic shutter and checked again. There was no change.

• Like Like x 2
  11. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Sorry for bumping an old thread,but hopefully that's better than creating a new one with the same topic.
    I have tried the above instructions and cannot get it to work. When I do the steps above, I arrive at a screen that displays 16 lines of zeros and when I toggle the display, I get another screen with hex values. What am I doing wrong? Obviously, I end up in some kind of a service menu, but I never see the screen with the camera info and shutter count.

Thanks.

12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Me too. Tried it a few times and got the hex stuff mentioned in the previous post by eljay.