1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Soligor 80-200mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Micronaut Girl, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Micronaut Girl

Micronaut Girl New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    Is this lens good to buy? It's so cheap and has zoom and I have really been wanting a zoom lens and i've looked up sample pictures from it and I like it so far. But I can't find anyone who has tried it on a G3? Would it work on a G3? I keep seeing the 80-200mm Soligor lens with a OM mount. So if I bought a OM mount adapter for the G3 the lens would work right?

I'm completely new to lens/camera's that take lenses and the G3 is my first one yet. It came with the 14-42mm lens kit and i'm not very impressed with the current lens. Any mode or setting my pictures look soft, even manual. I looked into film lenses and thought they looked like fun and I liked the style of pictures they brought out. Plus the look of the retro lens just really strikes me. I was just thinking the Soligor 80-200mm was the best zoom one for it's really awesome price. If you want to see what it looks like and it's prices then check this link for ebay
    Soligor 80-200mm | eBay

Any idea's on that lens? Has anyone tried it on the G3? Also would this adapter work to convert it to my G3?
    Amazon.com: BestDealUSA Black Lens Mount Adapter for Olympus OM Lens on Micro 4/3 M4/3 M43: Camera & Photo

If you can help me out at all I would really appreciate it. I've been holding off for months now buying these 2 items (just dreaming about that lens!) cause i'm just not sure if they will work for my G3 since i'm so new to this. MUCH thanks!!

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yes it will work fine. If you like the look of the pictures that the lens gives, go for it. Its cheap. The adapter you linked looks like its the right one for the job. Just remember that its a manual focus lens. No auto-focus available :)

In regards to your soft pictures with the kit lens, its hard to troubleshoot without seeing the results. Try to post a picture or two showing the issues that you are having.

3. Micronaut Girl

Oct 3, 2012

Thank you!! I was worried maybe someone would tell me that those wouldn't work. I'm thrilled to know they will! And I'm prepared for the manual work, i've been using that allot trying to get the feel of it and I like it. Also my pictures edit well, I just have to sharpen them up usually. I had to go and find a couple that weren't edited and straight from the camera to give you comparison. They look good from far away but I cant get any mode or setting to ever look good zoomed in. Zoomed in all of my pictures just look like soft lines with no definition. I read the 14-42mm lens that comes with my G3 is a cheapy one and some people have complaints about it. It's not terrible, I just would like to get better backround definition. :)

These are originals, I'll link to them so they don't stretch out the page. They are test shots, nothing special I like.
    http://i46.tinypic.com/29wa9oz.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/uannq.jpg

Except this one I edited it into a batch but I didn't touch the pictures, they're still normal.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2nhkufp.jpg

Most the times my pictures just seem soft. I try all my modes and settings, manual and shutter/aperture but I can't seem to find a really sharp mode. I know the G3 takes great photos but they are usually from different lenses so maybe I just need to upgrade lol. Anyways if you want tell me what you think, ideas or such. Thanks!!

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I can't see anything wrong with your pictures. Perhaps you are viewing them on a fuzzy monitor? :)

Your kit lens is not the sharpest, but neither is it completely useless... see this post for the numbers if you are interested https://www.mu-43.com/f38/sharpest-all-micro-4-3rds-lenses-34281/index4.html#post336813

But since you are moving into the world of old glass, especially old zoom glass, sharpness may be a criteria you need to be flexible on ;)

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all, that's the wrong lens adapter. The Soligor lens you linked is for Canon FD mount, but the adapter you linked is for Olympus OM to m4/3. You need an FD to m4/3 adapter, or find a lens in OM mount if you get the OM to m4/3 adapter.

Personally, I don't care for manual zoom lenses except for video (in which case they're my preferred lenses - manual aperture and zoom are both useful for video). For stills, you have to fumble with both rings, which is non-conducive to fast action. More importantly though, old zoom lenses from the film era are generally poor quality compared to the primes. Only more recently in the digital era did high quality zoom lenses begin to match the quality of a good prime. Primes were the way to go back in the day if you wanted high resolving power, as the difference between zooms and primes were great. You can buy both old and cheap yet still get a fantastic lens if you buy primes.

I'm also not a big fan of the Soligors. Let's just say that you could do better. They're fun lenses and for the price you can't go wrong to try them out and enjoy them, but you're wasting your time if you think you can rely on it as a main lens. I'm not saying to not buy a Soligor zoom, just to hold off on them until you have a better collection. For something in the focal length, speed, and size you're looking at I would much, much rather suggest going with the Zuiko 200mm f/4 prime... which will work with the OM to m4/3 adapter you linked to.

e_zuiko_200mm_f4_web.

Yes, I know that's a lot more money but it's still cheap and affordable for anyone. On the other hand, if you buy cheap $25 lenses you'll be disappointed with every one, waste a bunch of money trying them out, then still need to pay for the good one in the end. So getting a half-decent lens to start with will save you a lot of money. If you're disappointed in your modern kit lens, then you'll definitely be disappointed in an old Soligor zoom.

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    More coffee Ned :wink: The link posted is to a general search for all Soligor 80-200mm lenses. The FD is just the first one mentioned in the list.
    Yup. Maybe start with an old 'nifty fifty' or a 28mm for a normal prime lens Micronaut Girl? But if you can get one for cheap, and your heart is set on one, don't let us stop you getting a Soligor :2thumbs:

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I love collecting under $100 legacy glass. I recently got lucky and found a Zuiko 85-250mm f5 for $55 and the optics are really very good. The only issue is that it's heavy, but at least it has an integral tripod mount.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I don't know anything about the Soligor zoom you've mentioned, but in general I agree with Ned. You're not going to improve sharpness over your modern kit lens by going to a decades-old zoom. Old lenses are fun to play with, but you will probably be happier with the results from a prime lens like a 50mm (something around f/1.4-2) or a 28mm f/2.8.

You mentioned being new to interchangeable-lens cameras - maybe a little reading up on photographic technique could help you improve your photos as well? I found "Understanding Exposure" to be a great introduction.

Good luck, and keep shooting!

9. Micronaut Girl

Oct 3, 2012
    Lots of good replies, thanks guys! I love the input and opinions. Yea the link I put was just a general link for those lenses, they come with lots of mounts :) I could pick any kind if I wanted to I guess, I don't need the OM one. Also I realize how silly it might have sounded to say my digital lens isn't as sharp as I want so im going for a old school lens which would be worse. Sounds totally ridiculous now, I know. I guess what I was thinking is the old retro pictures have a really cool softness and kind of grit to them that looks vintage. I like that. I guess I should have said I just expect more from already owing a digital lens that is pretty much brand new. I expect more from the new stuff but I want the old look from the older stuff. So that's why I'm not terribly crazy about the 14-42mm. If its so modern it should be sharper, imo. And I'm definitely not against Primes, I'd spend more money to get one! Like you said I wouldn't take the Soligor seriously as a replacement, manual would be way to much work for all the time. I just wanted something cheap for some zoom but if I can do more then I will look around. I got the links open that were posted so I will go ahead and check everything out that was suggested. Also i'm new to lens cameras but I've been reading about them for years and years. I love cameras. I've read and researched so many without ever using one (except compacts) but I've always been a bit slow with learning about the lenses. There is so much to them plus so much money. So finally I got a G3. That was the one I really wanted, which was funny since it's not even a full DSLR. I just really liked it plus the swivel lens. I just got allot to learn about lenses in general since that area always stumps me. Thanks for all the tips and thoughts :)

/edit! I see some of you guys have Flickrs. If I get any different lenses then my pictures will be there but you can look at my pictures from my kit lens too if you want :) I love looking at other pictures too so I'll follow you! http://www.flickr.com/photos/micronautgirl/

10. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Well some legacy glass can deliver very sharp results. The OM 24 and 28 I have are as sharp to my eye as anything more modern. If you want a longer lens (bear in mind that the 80-200 will be effectively a 160-400 on mft) the OM 135/3.5 is a good, bargain priced choice.

Manual lenses are fun and engaging - you won't regret diving in. Good luck.

11. Micronaut Girl

Oct 3, 2012
    man alive, I pretty much just spent hooours researching everything that was suggested and have to say i'm really loving the Konica Hexanon 135mm f/3.2. Plus the thread in here for that lens with all the pictures was absolutely gorgeous. The OM 135/3.5 is also a good second runner up for me though..I dunno. Decisions decisions... Actually, they're both quite affordable. Never would have even seen this unless I would have made this post about the Soligor :) so i'm pretty grateful. Now I just got to decide haha.

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My Hexanon 135mm f3.2 stays on one of my two camera bodies 75% of the time.

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Lots of good konica glass out there. Bought a 135mm f3.2 from a member of this forum yesterday. Seems to be rare as hens teeth here in Australia :frown:

14. Micronaut Girl

Oct 3, 2012
    That's so awesome guys! I think that's the one i'll get. For the price and for the zoom I want it seems to put out really good images. You just bought one yesterday also?? What a coincidence haha that's really cool. Can't wait to get it and try it out :) Thanks again for the help and advice people, much appreciated expecially since i'm such a newb. It'll be a fun little starter lens for me

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Must have missed a post, but glad to read that Soligor is off the list. I still have a 135mm Soligor from '71 and recently put an adapter on it to confirm that it's pretty weak compared to a modern lens.

One zoom to consider, if you can get it for around $25, is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210. They are heavy, large, and unwieldy, hence unpopular, but can deliver nice images. Vivitars are typically mediocre, but the Series 1's were an exception and well liked 30 years ago and Mark Roberts will tell you all about them. Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

On the 135mm, I've come to like my Takumar 135mm f3.5. It only cost me around $10 when I bought it to use with a Pentax DSLR, but I lost interest because legacy was too hard to focus. With my PEN and VF2, focus because easy and I found the Tak was very light and easy to carry. Not much purple fringing and sharp like most Tak's. Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with any 135mm made by Konica, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Canon, etc. They're inexpensive, and were relatively easy to make.