1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Solid Case for E-PL1? Backpacking/Mountaineering

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cero21, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Cero21

Cero21 New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Canada
    I just picked up a E-PL1 so I can take high quality pics while I'm backpacking/mountaineering as P&S camera just don't do it for me anymore and my E-510 is too big to have accessible at all times while hiking. Anyone have any ideas for good solid cases that I could attach to the front of my daypack/body so I can have access to it at all times? It would have to be tough enough so that if I took a tumble it, the camera would be ok.

Thanks!

2. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Hope this helps. I too am very active downhill biking, camping and everything else. I picked up the Tamrac velocity 6.5 sling bag and it is working out great for me. I have the E-PL2 with the kit lens and the 42-150 and filter set with case. Everything fits nice and secure and it works like a mini backpack while biking. Access is very fast!
    Cheers
    Ed

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I made my own.

This TOTALLY depends on your camera bag preferences, your budget, and what you have on hand already in terms of supplies, but after 15 years of never finding the "perfect" camera bag to fit my needs I got so frustrated that I decided to try and make my own bag this year.

I wanted a compact messenger bag that was big enough for a DSLR and a couple of lenses and/or flashes OR would also work for a Pen micro 4/3 system with accessories.

I ended up buying a compact UTG Multi-Functional Tactical Messenger Bag (designed for concealed carry of handguns) for $25 on Amazon.

Since the interior of the tactical messenger bag didn't have enough padding I used a Domke camera bag insert from an old Domke bag that I had in my closet (if I didn't have one already it would have cost $25). The Domke insert fits perfectly in the UTG bag and protects the camera/lens in the main compartment.

The UTG bag has lots of "Molle" loops for connecting accessory pouches and these work great with some of the various compact camera bags and lens cases I've bought over the years. If I need more storage I can connect the smaller bags/pouches to the loops on the UTG bag (or I can leave them off if I'm traveling light.

Without the extra pouches attached to the UTG bag it's big enough for one DSLR or Pen body with lens attached, 1-3 lenses (depending on size, and NOT including the 35-100 ... the 50-200 will fit without hood or tripod collar), one FL-50R, one FL36R, two compact Olympus flash stands (FS-FLST1), two collapsible soft boxes, two collapsible snoots, a bunch of flash gels, a couple of flash reflectors/flags, off-camera TTL flash cord, battery charger with spare battery, flashlight and pocket knife.

I can squeeze even more into the bag (or attach those extra pouches I was talking about for more storage) but that's a lot of gear to put inside a SMALL messenger bag that looks like this:

51B2-6f2aQL._SL240_.

My point is, if you can't find a bag that is perfect for your personal needs then you might want to consider making your own camera bag out of something that wasn't originally intended to be a camera bag.

4. Cero21

Cero21 New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for the help guys. You really helped me get some new insight on what's out there. I looked at a bunch of different stuff from magazine utility pouches to camera backpacks and everything. Finally, I settled on a tiny Lowepro pouch with a large handle on top. I'll attach a carabiner to it and snap it on to my daypack or belt buckle. Should work out.

5. mitto68

mitto68 New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Lowepro have just released the photosport which might suit.

6. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    simple hard case?

I bought this quality hard case for my epl1. (at the time it cost me $130!) The outer cover fits the 14-42, my 17mm pancake and it even works with my 9-18mm wide angle...but there is a little gap when closing it on the wide angle lens.

I would LOVE if they made an outer cover to fit the 14-150 my favorite most used lens! If anyone knows of a hard case fitting the zoom, please let me know!

These are now running $99 and are well made.

Real Leather Ever Ready Case For Olympus Pen EPL1 E-PL1 | eBay

FYI: I had to buy a second set, as I lost the original cover...so I'm left with a brand-new (never used) body portion if you or anyone here is interested in that, I'd let it go very reasonable. It is the dark brown/mahogany color.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    Update:....I no longer have a second case, as I just bought a SECOND epl1 (from this site) for my daughter! Lol

8. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Have you let them know you would like a cover for the 40-150? (Hint! Hint!) Perhaps they might listen to a customer who already has two of their product.

Do the snaps work easily when you want access to the camera and is the camera protected from rubbing on them? How is the leather itself?

Thanks

9. lotsofkids

lotsofkids Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    Diane
    Yes, I did ask if it was possible to get an outer cover for the 14-150, but it was only a distributer and not the
    manufacturer. (sigh)

The leather and workmaship is high end (you should be pleased). The snaps open very easily and the interior is fully lined in a soft suede. The snaps are all exterior and never have any contact with your camera. The only negative, is you'll need to remove the case to access ports anytime you change a battery, media card ect...

Also I bent/softened the leather a few times around the grip area for a tighter fit (it would have softened over time, but I am a perfectionist) . Overall, it really looks and fits great and will protect against knocks.

10. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks for the report. I like the appearance of it a lot and may have to order one later. For right now such things are down the list a little bit.

It is too bad you were unable to contact the manufacturer. Having two tops would have been quite nice.

Cheers