Sold my m43 system, Now what?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by skubaman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. skubaman

Mar 27, 2012
    Charlotte, N.C.
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do since i sold my m43 setup. Any suggestions on compacts/bridge cameras that will compete in photo quality? If any..I will be buying in next 24 hours so need suggestions. I do mostly macro and low light shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats ...There is a sister site of named
    I think u should pop this question there. There is no compact or bridge camera which will beat MFT or compete in IQ.Some may offer u good macro work but low light? I don't think so..
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Fuji X-S1 bridge camera does nice macro....wicked telephoto and is comparable IQ-wise (nearly) to m4/3
  4. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I would suggest taking a look at the Canon PowerShot G1 X. It is the latest in the PowerShot G Series family and has a sensor that is almost the same size as Micro Four Thirds.

I haven't used one personally but the camera has gained some excellent reviews with the 4X zoom lens being singled out for praise.

There is also the Canon PowerShot G12 which is still a current model, but that has a smaller sensor which cannot compete with Micro Four Thirds for low noise.
  5. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Actually, vice versa - Micro Four Thirds has a sensor smaller than the one in PowerShot G1X.

PowerShot G1X has around 16% larger sensor than any of the Micro Four Thirds cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Canon G1X for low light, but it has a crappy macro mode.

For the "best" point and shoots, you have:
    -Panasonic LX5
    -Olympus XZ-1
    -Canon G12
    -Canon S100
    -Fuji X10

More serious compacts, but fixed lens to preserve image quality:
    -Fuji X100
    -Ricoh GRD IV
    -Sigma DP1 / DP2

By the way, didn't your mother tell you to look before you leap?
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He never said anything about larger or smaller, simply "almost the same size." Your own prejudices inferred that he was making a definite size relation one way or the other.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    So what was missing from your m43 setup? It's pretty hard to recommend something without knowing what was lacking.
  9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Don't mess around, just get a d800 with grip and a 50/1.4 and a 70-200vr and your good and buff in no time