Sold My EM1

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
After almost a year of owning the EM1, I finally ended up selling it. It's a great camera but I never ended up bonding with it due to it's form factor. It just reminded me of carrying around a shrunken down DSLR. I bought the EM1 to be used as an everyday camera and for that purpose, I found that it's still a bit bigger than I want, mostly due to it's protruding grip.

I always loved the form factor of the EM5 but the EVF wasn't good enough for my taste along with it's squishy buttons. The EM5 Mk.II seems like an EM1 in a EM5 body, so now it looks like I'll be purchasing an EM5 Mk.II although they're not available just yet here in Korea. So for the time being, I'm without an m43 body, probably for at least another month.

Just as an aside, I do like the fully articulating screen and it's ability to be folded inwards. Aside from it's advantages for video, it's a nice way to avoid the temptation of chimping while out shooting as well as protecting the screen when not in use.

Rallyroo

Mu-43 Rookie
I rented an E-M1 when it was first released and felt the same way about the size so I crossed the E-M1 off my list. I guess I got so used to the small form factor of my E-P3. I am considering the E-M5 MkII though.

Zancrow

Mu-43 Regular
Been contemplating this myself. I love my EM1 but I been thinking it has been an overkill for me since I don't really don't use half of the features in the camera and the size just doesn't feel right. I'm also been considering the EM5 MkII or the EM10.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The E-M1 was designed for professionals, who carry the camera around all day with a variety of lenses and other kit, and require a excellent grip and ergonomics. Comparing it with others is comparing apples and oranges.

PowerHawk2015

Mu-43 Regular
I agree with OzRay, a camera with a "Pro" designation is not going to be for everyone. Pro cameras are large, and theres a reason why they have to be large.
Theres a few requirements that you will see in all pro bodies. First is outstanding build qualtity, you should be able to hammer in a nail with the body.
Second is external controls, pro's require external controls for most settings, you can't afford to spend time menu diving while out on assignment.
Third is performance and speed. It has to be fast inregards to focus, burst mode and buffer. A pro camera has to be large so it doesn't get uncomfortable holding it for half or the entire day.
A Pro camera has all those requirements (3), it just doesn't cut the mustard with only 1 or 2 of those requirements. Think of the D4s and 1Dx.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I had the E-M1 and didn't really find it too big since the grip doesn't stick out further than even the 14mm Panasonic. I do like the ability to use the E-M10 with and without the grip though.

For me it was actually I didn't need all the features for what I was using it for. The E-M1 is a great camera, but not everyone wants to drive the same black Model T.

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I recently sold my x100s and kept my Nikon Coolpix A because the Nikon fit in my pocket better for a grab camera. OTOH, I also like the refurb EM1 I picked up because it is more comfy in the hand than my other mu43 bodies. Once a body is beyond easy pocket size, I'll put up with a little more size for ergonomic reasons. Interestingly, the EM1 is almost the same size and quite a bit lighter than one of my favorite small film cameras, the Pentax MX. I could easily understand, however, that the OP might want some smaller for the take everywhere camera, which is why I also have an E-PM2 body in the bag.

aenation

Mu-43 Regular
I recently sold my x100s and kept my Nikon Coolpix A because the Nikon fit in my pocket better for a grab camera. OTOH, I also like the refurb EM1 I picked up because it is more comfy in the hand than my other mu43 bodies. Once a body is beyond easy pocket size, I'll put up with a little more size for ergonomic reasons. Interestingly, the EM1 is almost the same size and quite a bit lighter than one of my favorite small film cameras, the Pentax MX. I could easily understand, however, that the OP might want some smaller for the take everywhere camera, which is why I also have an E-PM2 body in the bag.

i see you have both e-m1 and e-m5, so is it safe to assume you have found both of these cameras not "pocketable" therefore you only bring your Coolpix A and e-pm2 in your bag?

my apology for such strange question to ask, but i am looking for something that i could bring anywhere and everywhere, although i really appreciate the build and image quality of the e-m1/e-m5.

thanks!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The EM5 is smaller than the EM1 but not by that much. The Nikon will fit easily in any coat pocket or even the pockets of looser jeans in an emergency. The PM2 is mostly for coat pockets. The EM1 has become my larger steadier body for when photography is a a dominant activity and I can just use my bag. I love the IQ of the Nikon but the fixed lens is a bit limiting. Still, it's a great street camera, museum camera, or for any place you can get close enough. I thought of selling the EM5 just because it will see little use, but I'm not sure if it's worth selling for what I could get. The real question for you will be can you live with a fixed lens (A or Ricoh GR) or want a zoom (the older RX100 is pretty cheap right now).

aenation

Mu-43 Regular
The EM5 is smaller than the EM1 but not by that much. The Nikon will fit easily in any coat pocket or even the pockets of looser jeans in an emergency. The PM2 is mostly for coat pockets. The EM1 has become my larger steadier body for when photography is a a dominant activity and I can just use my bag. I love the IQ of the Nikon but the fixed lens is a bit limiting. Still, it's a great street camera, museum camera, or for any place you can get close enough. I thought of selling the EM5 just because it will see little use, but I'm not sure if it's worth selling for what I could get. The real question for you will be can you live with a fixed lens (A or Ricoh GR) or want a zoom (the older RX100 is pretty cheap right now).

thanks for your reply.

i think you have nailed it...RX100 and X100 were both on the top of my list.
my nikon wouldn't fit into anything other than the camera bag, e-m5 is somewhat travel friendly with the 17mm 1.8, but not when i mounted the zoom on it.

i personally prefer prime, not a huge fan of zoom although there were times i wish i had it with me.

just wondering, what was the drive for you to sell your X100? size only?

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
How is the E-M5 I or II not going to feel like you are carrying around a shrunken DSLR? I would suspect the whole point of the OMD line is to replicate as closely as possible, the DSLR shooting experience. That being said, there is nothing wrong with preferring the E-M5 over the E-M1. I prefer the E-M10, myself.

Even so, the E-M5 I and II are two different cameras with similar characteristics but which are NOT identical. I would suggest that you try to rent or borrow a II before purchasing to make sure that the things you like in I remain in II.

Real Name
Nic
The E-M1 is smaller than any DSLR that I ever owned, and quite a bit smaller in some cases. Still, my preference has now switched to cameras with smaller form factors like the original E-M5. The E-M5 wasn't meant to replicate the handling of a DSLR unless you attached the optional landscape grip which moved the shutter release forwards. I don't know if the difference in their key dimensions is all that great but the E-M5 just feels smaller and more discrete than the E-M1, and I do have a couple of camera bags where the E-M1 just squeezes in compared to the E-M5 that slides in easily. Apparently a few millimetres here and there can make a difference.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
I still wonder how the 40-150 2.8 would handle on the E-M5 II body w/o a grip :hmmm:

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
The E-M1 is smaller than any DSLR that I ever owned, and quite a bit smaller in some cases. Still, my preference has now switched to cameras with smaller form factors like the original E-M5. The E-M5 wasn't meant to replicate the handling of a DSLR unless you attached the optional landscape grip which moved the shutter release forwards. I don't know if the difference in their key dimensions is all that great but the E-M5 just feels smaller and more discrete than the E-M1, and I do have a couple of camera bags where the E-M1 just squeezes in compared to the E-M5 that slides in easily. Apparently a few millimetres here and there can make a difference.

Agree with everything.

aenation

Mu-43 Regular
I still wonder how the 40-150 2.8 would handle on the E-M5 II body w/o a grip :hmmm:

i assume....without a grip it would be really unbalanced(lens with tripod collar is 1.94lbs while e-m5 II approx. 1lb)
but honestly optical performance wise i trust this would be a killer combo....

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
just wondering, what was the drive for you to sell your X100? size only?

It was the Singles in January challenge. I really enjoyed using the A and when I started to use the X100S again I just wasn't as happy with it. In many ways, I actually preferred the look of the Nikon's images. There was no point in keeping both, and I kept grabbing the A on the way out the door. It certainly surprised the hell out of me.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The removable grip on the E-M5 I & II makes the approximately 1/2 inch different in height and width between the E-M5 and E-M1 seem even greater than it is. The lack of the accessory port on mark II just adds to visual effect.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
When I bought the 5, I tried the 1 and found it to be just "not right". The 5 was perfect. I got the 5II yesterday and it's more perfect. It's now given me the complete confidence to sell my Canon gear.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
I went through this process before buying the 1. In the end I decided I would never carry any in a pocket and therefore the AF and grip when carrying bigger lenses was worthwhile.

Great cameras all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom