1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sold my EM1 for lighter setup

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by e_kjellgren, Jan 14, 2015.

1. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Sold off my EM1 with 12-40, PL25 and 75 lenses and got the GM1 with 12-32, 15 and 35-100. Kept the 45 since it was a little damaged. And very light and compact lens. I'm now thinking of getting the GX7 with the 20 or maybe the O25, what do you think of that? Is the 20 too close to the 15?

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    15/25/45 seems like better spacing between the primes. However if you like the size and focal length of the 20, I'd say there is enough of a difference between 15/20 to make it worthwhile.

Personally I would have kept the em1, if you are going to end up with a gx7... but different strokes

• Like Like x 1
  3. e_kjellgren

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Maybe you're right, I have never handled one. Perhaps I should just enjoy my current setup for a bit!

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I'd gladly trade my P20 for a P15 ;-)

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I used a GX7 for a bit and hated the way it felt in my hands. The EM1 just felt so much better. That and I am not a big fan of the way Panasonic sets up their EVF.

Definitely try before you buy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Maybe wait until after cp+. The gx8 is rumoured to be just around the corner.

7. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I would wait also. The GM1 has the exact same sensor as the GX7. Might as well get something different.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love my GX7. The GM is surely smaller, but not by much.

I got a P14, for price and size, over the P15.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't know seems a good bit smaller to me: http://j.mp/16n4UNW#sthash.faunMjHW.dpuf

I'm not a fan of the Pan controls menus, but that said, one thing to consider:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    To the OP, is a "newer sensor" a consideration in wanting the GX7 or is it that you like the Panasonic bodies/menus/etc more and want a second body?

It's not very clear on your reason for wanting the GX7.

11. e_kjellgren

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Istn't that the GF8?

12. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    A gx8 would be on my wish list too...

13. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Me too! Although my EM-1 is still on eBay. I went for an EM-10 with grip, so with the grip off I get a pretty small camera!

• Like Like x 1
  14. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    To me, the E-M1 is the perfect size. Grip is nice enough to hold with one hand, gives me full confidence using it without worrying about it slipping out of my hands. I'm actually going to get the RRS plate to make it a little taller, ergonomics are one of the main reasons why I didn't keep the a7ii, why I didn't mesh with any of the Fuji X bodies, and why the GH4 is the only other body that I've used recently that felt fully comfortable in my hands. I actually prefer the tilt screen of the E-M1 as opposed to the fully articulating screen of the GH4.

I could see getting a smaller camera for a 2nd cam or a smaller walk around give to my wife camera, which is one of the reasons why I'm thinkig of getting the EPL-7, but as my main camera, the E-M1 is where I'm comfortable.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    My experience is to keep the lenses that you have,especially if they are not expensive ones. The question of which is better will answer itself for you in time. Anyway its you not us that needs to know which lens is best lens is best for your uses.

:)

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I went from an E-M1 + E-P5 to an E-M10 as well. The E-M1 was just more than I needed, but I prefer the form factor / handling more than the E-P5. The E-M10 fits nicely in between.

17. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    If you sold the EM 1 because of size and weight, what use does it make to get a GX7 which is an equally bulky camera. :confused:
    If you want a second body, I'd go for the GM5. Together with your GM1 it makes for a great and compact set of equipment. :thumbup:
    After many romances with several different cameras I ended up with exactly those two cameras and am extremely happy with them.
    I wouldn't have sold the PL 25 if I were you. I own it and it's one of my favorite lenses, even though a touch too big for the GMs.
    If you want to find out more, visit my blog... .

18. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I just bought a GX7 as a secondary camera to my EM1 and I love it. I think it has just as many features as the EM1. I have not found an option that I dont have between the 2 cameras. And the DR control is easier to access on the GX7 (in my opinion)

IQ wise compared to the GM1 Ive seen plenty of images that look identical so the difference is negligible if any. Its not the same exact sensor as the GX7 is supposed to have higher dynamic range and color depth, though like I said, Ive seen comparisons that look pretty darn close.

What you would get with the Gx7 is a viewfinder, IBIS (big if you do a lot of low light still life but no Video support unfortunately ), External flash hot shoe, flip out screen and I think panorama (not available on the GM1).

I tend to agree that waiting might be the way to go. I found mine for a mere $400 so I couldn't pass it up. My EM1 is a powerhouse so not worried about new upcoming tech for the moment :)

19. Geemone

Geemone Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    Germany
    No hard feelings..., but didn't you read the title of this thread... ?
    The TS wants to achieve a LIGHTER setup, so what use does it make to try fo convince him to go for a EM 1 PLUS a GX7... ???

20. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Maybe not necessarily smaller but Its definitely more compact then the EM1. Figure the EM1 without the VF bump and Grip Extension is the size of the GX7.