Sold My E-PL1, kept the GF1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ccmsosse, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

Has anyone else owned the EP1, GF1, E-PL1?
    I owned them all - I sold the EP1 to get a M9, kept the GF1 as a awesome backup and alternative and then got intrigued by the E-PL1.... although a great camera, I felt it was too much alike the GF1 to keep them both. I will wait for the GF2. The E-PL1 was not too distinctly different to the GF1 to own them both.
    Any comments?

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    What made you keep the GF1 over the E-PL1? What do you prefer about it?

(or was it just you could get more money back selling on the E-PL1?)

3. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

No - the GF1 and E-PL1 both do Raw, they handle about the same, but all my prior 4/3 lenses were already all Lumix (7-14,20,14-45,14-140,45-200, 45 Macro)
    So I didn't need the E-PL1 in-body image stabilization.
    I liked them both - the GF1 has a menu buttons and a wheel ... minor stuff really. I just didn't think the E-PL1 had anything in addition or new to the GF1. I shoot raw, not JPEG, so again no advantage here either...

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I have both the GF1 and E-PL1. I prefer the menu system of the GF1 but I like to shoot with 2 cameras with different lenses so I will keep them both for now although I may get another GF1 or it's successor eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i have the ep1 and gf 1 and use them both i too think the menus from panny are somewhat better,the ep1 will stabilize any lens but the gf 1 has it charms its excellent 14-45 and flash are useful to me at times

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thread moved to 'This or That'

7. Sam Roberts

Sam Roberts Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I tried an E-PL1 in a camera store, I actually found the grip better than my G-F1 and also found the real time reflection of change in settings on the oly screen good too. I could hang the oly in one hand very easily, but need to grip my G-F1 with finger and thumb (I put a wrist strap from my old compact on for now, which helps a lot).

The AF on the oly was about the same in a bright shop as my panny in a dim room, a think a lot is made of AF speed, but I don't worry about it as the panny isn't lightning fast and I often focus manually anyway, the biggest pluses of the panny (And I would imagine other EP's) is build quality, styling, quicker controls (E-PL1 not bad though) and with the panny, that screen really helps with manual focus.

IS is nice to have, but I find it easy enough to get sharp shots using the right settings, a bit of technique/careful breathing and if I'm shooting long exposures, a tripod.

I must admit though, if I get my way and go snorkeling in the next couple of years, the water proof housing and wireless flash of the E-PL1 would be tempting.

8. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I tried a GF1 along side a PL1. IN the end the GF1 went back. It was a great camera, but I simply could NOT give up the VF-2, IBIS and those yummy colors right out of the cam as well as the better grip. For some the GF1 makes more sense. You could throw them both up in the air, grab one and have a decent choice. Fortunately they are that close.