Sold my E-PI, G1 as second body?

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hello Folks,

I had purchased both an Oly - E-P1, and a Panasonic GF1.

As i've already acquired the EVF for the Panny, as well as the 20mm, and kit zoom, spare batteries et al. I decided to stick with one body style.

The easier to become familiar with controls and settings et.

Nothing against the Oly... great out of the camera JPEGS! (It sold on eBay in about 14 hours....)

The G1 bodies are selling for peanuts on eBay.

What do you folks think of a G1 as a second body for my growing Mu43 kit?

jl-lb.ms

Mu-43 Regular
Of course, the form factor of the G1 is quite different, as it is more like an SLR, but the performance should be perfectly acceptable as a backup or redundant body. I'm using a G1 as my only MFT body. Frankly, I'm trying to decide if the M8 is still a good fit for me now.

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a G1 as a second body with my GH2, but to be honest, since the GH2 came in, the G1 hasn't seen much action... But fur the current price, they are a steal IMHO.

Stefan

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hello,

Yes. That sounds about right. There are several on eBay right now. $259. includes shipping for example.

My other Panasonic body is a GF1, so the G1 would be dissimilar in many ways, and it would be used to prevent my having to change lenses when the occasion presents itself, as well as to allow my wife, who seems to enjoy photography more and more, to have her own kit.

I'm just curious about peoples satisfaction with the G1.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Botom line is, since I got the GF1, my Canon 10D hasn't left its bag. That's exactly what I hoped would happen.

So I'm going all in on the M43 format. I believe in having a second body, always have.

I'm thinking the G1 will be a perfect way to use the kit zoom, and allow my wife to shoot away while I obsess over the 20mm on the Gf1.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Alanroseman said:
Botom line is, since I got the GF1, my Canon 10D hasn't left its bag. That's exactly what I hoped would happen.

So I'm going all in on the M43 format. I believe in having a second body, always have.

I'm thinking the G1 will be a perfect way to use the kit zoom, and allow my wife to shoot away while I obsess over the 20mm on the Gf1.

Yes, I think the G1 js a perfect companion to GF1. There are times when that excellent EVF and articulated LCD really come in handy.

Sent from my Nook Color using Forum Runner

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Alan,
The G1 is a really good camera. I sold mine because the form factor doesn't turn me on but I really enjoyed using it. It never failed to please me.
I paid $800.00 for the kit. I see the bodies for around $200.00 and I'm thinking again....

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I think you guys have confirmed my opinion. I really have no interest in video, and if I do the Gf1 will handle the chore.

I'm interested in having the same control software on both bodies, getting so that it's second nature to pick it up, set up, shoot. Having both the same will be perfect.

I just wondered how well the G1 was liked by those using it.

I enjoyed my E-P1, but ultimately one has to decide, and the GF1 had a better feel to MY hands and sensibilities.

This in no way reflects my having a low opinion of the Oly... I liked it. Not being able to use an EVF with any lens other than the 17mm was a bit of a decision maker for me though...

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
PS. I wasn't sure you guys were ever going to chime in....

I'm off the the Patriots - Jets AFC divisional game.. I've been considering trying to jam the Panny in a pocket to get a few shots of the stadium for those who've never seen it.

I'm thinking it might be more than I want to concern myself with today..

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a G1 as my only m4/3 body and digital camera
I have 4 film cameras to boot, (I use 2 mostly though)
I can use all my film camera lenses on it too :biggrin:
But, all m4/3 cams can do that :wink:

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The epl1 was my choice of m43 after trying the system out with a used G1. I intended to sell the G1. That was several months ago. I still enjoy it once in a while and I like the swing out LCD. The AF seems better on it than my epl1 with native glass even though the epl1 is my preference. Even bought a second m mount adapter so I can keep two different lenses mounted.

I'll probably end up picking up a used 45-200 tobekounted on the G1 while keeping the 9-18 or the 14-42 on the epl1.

Ideally, for a so called backup, you'll want two cameras that share batteries and media cards as well as a user interface that is close to avoid that mental switch going between the two.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I've got an E-p1, a GF1, and a G1. I use the G1 and the GF1 most of the time, though I love the Oly jpegs. The GF1 is great when I want to go with a compact option, but need a peppy camera. G1 is for when I need a viewfinder - bright sun, etc. Olympus gets used for social events.

G1 is great in my opinion.

All the best,

Colin

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Bought a G1. This AM.

With the helpful input from from mu-43 I decided adding the G1 to my kit was in fact the way to go.

Bought one this morning from Peach Photo in NY. $249. free shipping, brand new.

I'm exited to get my hands on the new toy....

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I'm just curious about peoples satisfaction with the G1.

My wife and I love our G1. I've taken so many good photos with it and I love the feel and the handling. I also recently got a GH2 and picked up a used GF1 as a second body, with the intention of selling the G1. However, I'm struggling to get used to the GF1 body and feel way less stable and competent with it so I'm thinking of just keeping the G1 and selling the GF1 I just got. The only thing I struggle with now is switching back and forth between front and rear dial. I had no problem with front dial until I got used to the rear, but I'm sure I'll get used to switching. I'll use my GH2 primarily, but it's nice to have a second body with a short lens when a long lens is on the GH2.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Zach,

Thanks for the input. I can't say I had any trouble getting used to the GF1 even though I moved there from a full sized DSLR.

There's a certain something about the GF1 with the 20mm, it's just one of those combos you run into over the years that just works.

I'm not sure I'd be overly happy with a body sans the top dial, but then, I've only tried that when using a small point and shoot.

I'm getting ready to sell of a little DSLR stuff in fact.. I think I'm going to be a full time convert to MU43.

Thanks again for the thoughtful comments!

Latest threads

Top Bottom