1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sold my E-M1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tonyturley, May 5, 2016.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I'd only had my E-M1 for a couple of months, but I came to the conclusion that it was not the best camera for my preferences. I also sold several MFT lenses. Needless to say, I've been making a concerted effort to ruthlessly reduce my camera gear to the absolute bare minimum I need to pursue the photography I like. I simply had way too much stuff.

Back to the E-M1. The more I used it, the more I came to the conclusion that I liked the ergonomics of my old E-M5 better. Can't really explain it, other than to say I like the "feel" of the E-M5 better.

I've also purchased a gently used Fuji XE-1 APS-C camera. I spent a lot of time researching Fuji cameras, comparing them with Olympus cameras on camerasize.com, and even rented an X100S to check it out. Using adapted lenses has always been near and dear to my heart, and numerous blogs and reviews talked about how nice the XE-1 is for that purpose. It is also very close in size and form to the E-M5.

I intend for my daily kit to be the E-M5 with a 17mm/1.8, the XE-1 with one of my excellent Konica AR lenses, and the tiny Olympus 35RC film camera tucked in a side pocket. The E-M5 will usually be my grab-and-go rig for casual outings. No zooms, no big telephotos (tried that route - not for me).

It took me a lot of time, buying and selling, and experimentation to settle on this setup. Clearing off my camera shelves and reducing my gear to a simple lightweight bag has been cathartic. As I get older, I find I crave simplicity more and more. Time now to concentrate on becoming a better photographer.

Tony

• Like Like x 4
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm glad you've found a kit that works best for the type pop photography you enjoy. I personally couldn't sell my E-M1, as I use it extensively with my 50-200, and love that combo for wildlife and motorsports. I also love my GH4 for its DFD focus system and impressive video ability.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Try shooting RAW with the fuji. It seems the fuji bodies apply some aggressive NR even when you set the NR Low in Jpgs.

Have fun playing in the fuji world. It's always fun to get different "flavours" with the fuji files vs M43 or dslr.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Your style of photography really blends well with the M43 world.

The video function is something really great in the M43. For good light vids the system is quite potent.

For the $$$ I think M43 for outdoor good light applications this system is such a great value.

I take alot of photos of human subjects and this is where I still struggle to put down my dslr gear. However with the Fuji system the organic looking files look extremely pleasing.

I've often found cityscape, cars, feathered and fury creatures can look great with almost any camera platform even when the RAW file falls apart. NR seems to salvage non human subjects with ease.

Anyone diving into fuji world should fully understand that it's not a video camera or meant for action type applications.

The IQ that i've produced with my fuji system has been astounding.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Just be warned, the EVF for the X-E1 is substantially worse than the E-M1.

6. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm neither a video nor an action photographer. I have dabbled with both, but my forte is close-up nature shots or landscapes. On rare occasions I will do some casual family portraits, but that is infrequent. I think the XE-1 and E-M5 will be good complements to each other.

TT

7. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    To be fair, compared to the viewfinder in the OP's Olympus RC, any digital camera EVF is not likely to be very impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would be curious to know what ergonomic features you find more preferable on the E-M5 over the E-M1? I have both and my preference is almost always the E-M1. I really wanted to like the E-M5 (which I acquired used at the time I bought my E-M1), but I just always seem to find my hands knocking one of the rear controls. I still shoot with it, but I find the E-M1 just fits my hands better, and I do not knock any controls by accident. It is all personal preference, but I am wondering if I might find some different approaches tot he E-M5 that might make it a better ergonomic experience.

Thanks,

--Ken

9. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Ken. As I said, I can't explain it. I've had no issue with the controls on the E-M5. The E-M1 is more of a mini DSLR, in my view. That form factor just doesn't work for me. I just prefer the compactness of cameras like the E-M5, XE-1, and old Olympus 35RC. I've tried the route of carrying larger, heavier fast and/or long glass. While I got some very nice images, there was just something that didn't click with me.

I've kind of been all over the place recently on what cameras to keep as I've culled the herd, so to speak. I had originally planned on selling off the E-M5, too, and reducing down to a single digital, but I've decided to keep it and use it with the XE-1 as a compact duo. They are very close together in size and weight. I know I'm giving up the ability to photo birds and wildlife, but that type of photography has been a very small fraction of what I do, anyway.

TT

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I didn't think that what I was doing was wrong. It is just that if you talk with a person who clicks with a method or with a piece of gear, then you can sometimes see it from a different perspective and that sometimes helps you see things differently. I like the E-M5, and I know that a lot of folks love it. I am just wondering if I am not seeing what they are seeing.

Thanks,

--Ken

11. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I think it just comes down to I like the way the E-M5 fits my hands better. Same with the Fuji X100S. I've been renting one this week just out of curiosity, and I like it a lot. It's very close in size to the E-M5. Definitely don't need another camera, though.

TT

12. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Have you tried an additional handgrip for the EM5? (e.g. Fotodiox handgrip for EM5)
    I have both EM1 and EM5 and I also prefer the EM1's handling. But the additional grip on the EM5 gets it closer to the handling of the EM1. (Unfortunately it adds a bit of bulk at the bottom of the camera too in form of the baseplate - but it's a compromise I'm ok with)

13. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    How nice to read a rational post ! My compliments on finding out what works best for YOU !

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    No ZD 11-22 anymore, then? The lens is a bit of a handful, but the results always please me whenever I use it, so despite its many downsides I find it hard to get rid of...

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have the two-part Oly battery grip. It does help, but my issue is primarily with the back buttons getting accidentally pushed both during use and while carrying the camera. I do not seem to have this issue with the E-M1 as it has the four-way rocker switch instead of individual buttons.

--Ken

16. Ziji

Ziji Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010
    I also crave a simpler approach, right now I am reducing my extensive (GAS driven) inventory, I hope to end up with a maximum of three cameras.....I just checked, I am getting older also !!

• Like Like x 1
  17. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I have a similar grip on my Fuji X-T10 (virtually identical size of the E-M5) I use GT-5000 grip tape on the cheap handgrip and it makes the grip feel fantastic. The beauty of that grip is that you can just stick a spider holster pin on the bottom of the grip and use it with a spider holster pro system. I can use the same system with both my dlsr and mirrorless. Using the spider holster with a mirrorless you dont even know you have a camera on you.

18. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've recently gone to one system (m43) and do 95% of my shooting with 3 lens now on 3 bodies - EP5 (I love this camera) & 7.5mm, Gx8 12-35, and Gx8 PL 100-400. I shoot a lot of video and city/landscapes. Someday I might get a Gx85 to be my travel camera but for now I do not need any piece of gear. I am now imaging significantly more and focusing on developing / refining my video/still point of view and really love photography again. I've found that gear chasing is a real negative for me, while imaging and processing is something I've always loved. I am glad you found your "good place with gear". I think I am seeing more and more of this type of change here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Jeff, I like your term "gear chasing". For too long, I think the buying and selling of gear had replaced the actual use of the gear. Now that I just have 2 somewhat older small cameras that have been superseded by several generations of "the latest and greatest", I'm more interested in seeing what I can do to squeeze the best IQ out of the E-M5 and XE-1 that I can.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, there's more to be gained from settling on one camera/system, getting comfortable with it and learning how to use it in it's best way than from keeping to chase more "advanced" technology over and over again.
    Finding a camera that you enjoy using is the main thing - anything else is just technicalities :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1