Sold My E-M1 and 12-40 to a friend today!

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
The way that M43 drops in value I am not sure I will ever be able to rationalize selling anything to get another camera. Luckily I like what I have.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me personally, if i were to go for something the size and price of the EM1, I'd just go for the A7ii (note that to me all of these cameras are fast, AF speed is great, and I'm using low-priced, smallish adapted lenses). Price for such a kit is actually less than EM1 with the mid to high priced native lenses. And maybe some would prefer the 25/1.4 to a FF 50/1.8, but I personally prefer the latter.

Finally, you can have the best of both worlds if u buy a PL5 or something, lens adapters, and a 14, 45, & 60, etc. that's only $1000 for a small kit or a tele kit.

fotomatix

Mu-43 Regular
It's primarily always been about the wonderful lens collection Oly offers. Sony's FE or even E library does not stack up IMO. I believe Oly's prime offerings including 12, 17, 25, 45, and 75 mm are out if this world. And most are excellent value for the investment.

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I am going down the Fuji route, I have never bonded with my EM-5, I have just acquired a x-Pro body and will sell most of my m43 glass and EM-5 to fund some great Fuji glass, what swung it for me is the 14mm wide angle (21mm FF equivalent) as I am a lover of wide angle lenses.

I was an early adaptor to m43, right from the G1 and GF1 which replaced my Nikon gear. I might keep my toe in the water and get a GX7 and keep my p20 to go with it as its still my favourite lens.

My EM-5 and all my lenses were bought second hand, so will not lose out too much, I always buy bodies second hand because I will only pay what I think they are worth and the price drops down to my budget

bigal1000

Mu-43 Veteran
As the title states I have sold my camera and lens today to a good friend. I have very mixed emotions about it. I have been and am still very much an Olympus fan. The undeniable truth though is that ever since I bought a Sony A7 my EM1 has hardly been used.

Now the the A7MII with it's 5 axis image stabilization is out well that made me pull the trigger and go to Sony. That for me will mean that all of my Grandfathers old Zuiko Glass will get used even more.

I tried hard to justify keeping both systems. I took both cameras out with equivalent focal length lenses to compare image quality, noise etc and the Sony for me won. I will miss the EM1 though. I still have a ton of great m4/3 glass around that my wife now has exclusive use of. I may have to pick up an EM10 or EP5 if prices really drop just so I can use some of the lenses. Either that or take my wife's GX7 when she is not looking.

Keep up the good work in here. Keep an eye out as I may have some lenses for sale in a bit as well.
It's FF vs MFT it should be better I would think ? So did you get the A7 or A7II

bigal1000

Mu-43 Veteran
Times are changing....enjoy your A7.

I'm going to wait for the next revision of the A7s to pray for a tad more megapixels. I really dont need 36mp camera. A7mk2 looks very appealing to me at the moment but I've decided to suck it up and stick with my full size dslr for serious paid events and my M43 for good light shooting.

I will now only purchase gear that has similar iso performance to a canon 6d or 5dmk3. A7s is it ........for my secondary casual gear! No rush for more gear at the moment though.....
The latest model has less pixels A7s around 12MP I believe.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Buying any of the systems available today is such a slippery slope and, dare I say, a big problem--one we would have loved to have had a few years ago!

Small PEN or GM1 - great m4/3s lens selection, low price, small size, ISO1600 (max that I personally tolerate).

PL7, EM10, GX7 - Same as above but sacrifice more money and size for an extra stop or 2 with 3-axis (I can't tolerate 2-axis's blur)

EM1 or EM5 - sacrifice more money and size for 3-4 stops with 5-axis stabilization (and VF)

Fuji or NEX system - several size bodies and lenses, maybe not as complete as m4/3s lens selection, but shallower DOF when wanted, and a bit more DR or probably a stop better ISO on average. A bit more money.

A7ii - Sacrifice no money, no size over OMD. Good lens selection if (a huge if!) you're willing to use manual lenses. 5-axis now, useable ISO6400, shallower DOF and more DR.

None of the above perform poorly. If you were to have one system and one camera, a Fuji system makes a lot of sense IMO, since the sensor gives half of the benefits of FF over m4/3s. M4/3s offers so much though and I think a PL7 or GX7 also makes a lot of sense if you weigh the size and price. I see a lot of people using the 20/1.7 exclusively on m4/3s so a pricy upgrade from this might be a Sony RX1.

But if you're okay with MF and want a blurrier background, I think if you were buying today, an A7ii is a better choice than an EM1 (if you get a EM5 for under $400, however, it's a different story). You could always have a smaller m4/3s body as a secondary system.

fotomatix

Mu-43 Regular
Great points and summary. Primarily using MF is for a minority. Hence I get your big 'if'. I got an new OMD EM1 body for 1K. With the plethora of lenses my choice was simple. Sony has a lot of work to do still.
Happy shooting!

JYPfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the a7ii right now, but I just picked up a used E-M1, why? Because the shooting experience with the E-M1 when I had it was one of the most fun I ever had. Everything was laid out perfectly, it fit like a glove in the hand, and the lens lineup is versatile. So far I only have the 35 for the Sony, I want to get other lenses but right now I'm holding off. For the price that I would pay for the 55 1.8, I could get the 25/45 and for a few bucks more get the 17 as well. I can't wait to get the E-M1 again and give it a whirl against the a7ii and see which one I enjoy shooting with more.

fotomatix

Mu-43 Regular
The m43 lens library is divine. IMO only DSLRs from Nikon or Canon can beat or match. This is really where Sony and even Fuji have tons of catching up to do. However the FF sensor will give you superb high ISO results. Enjoy.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Guys ..
Interesting things on this thread and couple of blanket statements . We automatically assume that A7 shoots cleaner files than EM5 or EM1 without showing enough evidence . I have Sony A7 with 55.18 and Olympus EM5 with 12-40 along with few more MFT lenses . I loved the idea of FF and one of the sharpest primes on the planet ( 4th best prime lens Sony 55 1.8 ) and believe me , it failed to deliver . I always go for EM5 . There is not much difference in files even on pixel peeping , Sony flash system is in infancy , lens selection is very scanty and video is no where near what even EM5 offers. I would be very reluctant to suggest someone to jump on Sony camp even with A7II . The battery life sucks and once u add battery grip , flash , and big lenses - U end up having more weight than say Canon 6D or Nikon D750 . Sony A line looks very good on paper but fails to deliver and is essentially full of compromises . I wouldn't dump my MFT for slight DOF or one stop ISO advantage.
Cheers

Whtrbt7

Mu-43 Veteran
This is an interesting topic since moving to a larger sensor is against the current trend. On a separate note, a YouTube video citing Northrop's Optimal Image Quality is kind of a weak argument for shooting cleaner files between sensor formats. I personally think the switch to an A7II from an E-M1 makes a lot of sense if you want thinner DOF. The size is comparable but the lenses are still larger and heavier on the Sony FE mount. The native lens selection is a little anemic but with the Metabones adapter, you can get Canon EF lenses with AF albeit slow AF. In the end, there are just different cameras for different people. Everyone likes something different. Congratulations on making the switch to a camera that you will shoot with better. Photographers make photos, not cameras in the same way that People kill people, not guns.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Guys ..
Interesting things on this thread and couple of blanket statements . We automatically assume that A7 shoots cleaner files than EM5 or EM1 without showing enough evidence . I have Sony A7 with 55.18 and Olympus EM5 with 12-40 along with few more MFT lenses . I loved the idea of FF and one of the sharpest primes on the planet ( 4th best prime lens Sony 55 1.8 ) and believe me , it failed to deliver . I always go for EM5 . There is not much difference in files even on pixel peeping , Sony flash system is in infancy , lens selection is very scanty and video is no where near what even EM5 offers. I would be very reluctant to suggest someone to jump on Sony camp even with A7II . The battery life sucks and once u add battery grip , flash , and big lenses - U end up having more weight than say Canon 6D or Nikon D750 . Sony A line looks very good on paper but fails to deliver and is essentially full of compromises . I wouldn't dump my MFT for slight DOF or one stop ISO advantage.
Cheers
Respectfully, I disagree with a lot of that. The files out of my A7r / FE 55/1.8 combo are significantly cleaner, more detailed and much more malleable in post than my E-M1 files are. That's ignoring the rendering of the 55, which I love. The high ISO is better (I reckon about two stops at least at any given print size) though IBIS makes the E-M1 the better camera for low light in a great many situations.

A7 series video (a7s in any case) is miles ahead of either E-M1 or E-M5. And the weight argument is plain nonsense if comparing like for like - the FE mount lenses are generally slightly smaller/lighter than equivalent quality other FF glass, or close enough that it doesn't matter.

They are not all rounders; the E-M1 is the better camera. But the image quality from the A7r is significantly better for my purposes - people shooting (eye AF works better than my 5dII ever could manage consistently despite a slower overall AF experience), shallower DOF wide angle (35mm in particular), and above all landscape. I don't use flash, I've never seen the point of a grip, so I may not be typical. The A7r also forces greater shot discipline from me, so I shoot fewer frames/higher keeper rate, and the battery life, while not great, isn't that much worse than the Oly cameras I own. Spares are cheap after all.

I do find it amusing to read you gripe about that given your recent infatuation with the '32 shots per battery' IQ monsters (sigma DO Merrill). The A7r is a much better all rounder than the sigmas are - damning with faint praise though that may be.

Is it a mature product? Not yet. But it is a very interesting and capable product. And the lens lineup is surprisingly decent considering the relatively recent introduction - a compact prime (FE 35/2.8), a stunning normal (FE 55/1.8), affordable kit lens (28-70), set of high quality F4 stabilized zooms (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), and an affordable wide (FE 28/2.0) with add on converters, a macro, and a fast 35 officially announced (albeit without dates). And if you don't mind size you can use an A mount lens. I'm pretty impressed with the effort so far.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is an interesting topic since moving to a larger sensor is against the current trend. On a separate note, a YouTube video citing Northrop's Optimal Image Quality is kind of a weak argument for shooting cleaner files between sensor formats. I personally think the switch to an A7II from an E-M1 makes a lot of sense if you want thinner DOF. The size is comparable but the lenses are still larger and heavier on the Sony FE mount.
I agree but only for those who are planning on buying the Sony lenses. On m4/3s my 135mm lenses give me shallow DOF. On FF, the same 135mm not only gives me even shallower DOF, but gives me a more reasonable working distance. All from the same lens. Buying Sony's lenses though? No thanks! :redface:

Is it a mature product? Not yet. But it is a very interesting and capable product. And the lens lineup is surprisingly decent considering the relatively recent introduction - a compact prime (FE 35/2.8), a stunning normal (FE 55/1.8), affordable kit lens (28-70), set of high quality F4 stabilized zooms (16-35, 24-70, 70-200)
These lenses are what get me. I'm not confused, because obviously they are very versatile, but to me, if were to shoot with an F4 zoom, I would prefer the much smaller 12-35 on m4/3s. The F4 zoom will give you full frame benefits, more shallow DOF, etc., but heck, at that point why not just go for an f2.8? Bigger and more costly, I know. I don't know, I guess I do see the point, but just not for me. If I'm going to be working with any tradeoffs, I'm going to want the lens/camera to do at least one thing the best, such as be very small, be ultra sharp, be cheap, or have shallow DOF. F4 zooms on FF are good at all but best at none. But, I know others feel differently :dash2:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom