Sold My E-M1 and 12-40 to a friend today!

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by sdsyver, Dec 16, 2014.

1. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    As the title states I have sold my camera and lens today to a good friend. I have very mixed emotions about it. I have been and am still very much an Olympus fan. The undeniable truth though is that ever since I bought a Sony A7 my EM1 has hardly been used.

Now the the A7MII with it's 5 axis image stabilization is out well that made me pull the trigger and go to Sony. That for me will mean that all of my Grandfathers old Zuiko Glass will get used even more.

I tried hard to justify keeping both systems. I took both cameras out with equivalent focal length lenses to compare image quality, noise etc and the Sony for me won. I will miss the EM1 though. I still have a ton of great m4/3 glass around that my wife now has exclusive use of. I may have to pick up an EM10 or EP5 if prices really drop just so I can use some of the lenses. Either that or take my wife's GX7 when she is not looking.

Keep up the good work in here. Keep an eye out as I may have some lenses for sale in a bit as well.

2. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Well congrats on making a decision.

For me, m43 means having the option to invest on smaller (tiny!) bodies while still having the lovely ergonomics of OMD or GH.

Lenses such as the Oly 45mm are TINY and pack a massive punch considering they are so cheap by comparison.

Sony is very interesting. But of course the Sony FF lenses are by necessity larger and generally expensive. You'd want to be willing to pay more for the glass given the cost of the bodies. A7 is getting quite economical on the gray market though.

For me, m43 is a sweet spot. And with a new OMD on the horizon, it will be interesting!

As for legacy lenses.... I'd probably opt of an X-T1.... that massive EVF and focus peaking can't be beaten at the moment :)

3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    A7 is going for insane prices used right now

never understood the hoopla about XT1 VF... its not appreciably bigger or brighter or faster than EM1 , is it? when i viewed it it exhibited certain weird effects too

4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    B@H has the A7+28-70 for $1598 !! Brand New !!

5. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    The Fuji is supposed to be one very nice camera. Still it would not have drawn me away from the Olympus. It was the full frame that made me switch and now the image stabilization that sealed the deal. If Sony had not put a full frame sensor in package the size of and EM1 I'd still be all in with m4/3.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The XT-1 EVF is only minimally larger than the A7/E-M1 EVF, isn't it? For adapted glass the A7(r) is a really excellent camera, and the A7II possibly a perfect camera.

I think I'll always live at least in part in the MFT or similar ecosystem - my A7r is my go-to for adapted lenses (the few I use), for landscape, and I enjoy shooting environmental portraits/people more on FF than on crop bodies (I'm a fast 35 junkie..). For now the E-M1 is a much more well-rounded, higher performing, better autofocusing camera and gets a fair amount of use for wildlife/telephoto work, where the size/weight advantage persists and will continue to persist.

It's great to live in a world where this is the kind of gear choice you're 'forced' to make!

7. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I could not agree more. I just had to much conflict in myself having two systems for essentially the same purpose. There is no doubt that the autofocus speed will be missed. I'll adapt however. I'll miss all the high quality native glass but that will come eventually.

8. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Still have mine since I can get 1000mm on the old Canon 500.... but, we
    shall see....... ;-)

9. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I've read some stories form people who converted from FF to m43. You did the opposite.

Since you probably know both cameras very well, I would love to hear your experience.
    How is the A7 compared to the E-M1? What do you like about it?
    What made you choose the A7 over the E-M1? Are there any features that you miss, or wish that the A7 had?

Thanks!

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm in a slightly different position but have also been using both cameras for about a full year now. I started in FF land (Canon 5DII and a plethora of glass) and got tired of dragging it around. The. Came the E-M5 (and got stolen) and the E-M1.

The E-M1 is Oly's most mature camera - fully featured, great customizability, weather seal, compact, fantastic viewfinder, and a near perfect all round lee high performance camera, with the exception of tracking wich (like all mirrorless) is just ok. Plus IBIS which opens a lot of interesting possibilities.

The A7r is a great sensor with a decent camera built around it. It's slow (start up and AF, though the A7 is apparently better in this regard) compared to the E-M1, the shutter release is placed a little oddly, it's less customizable, AF point selection and general operation is significantly slower due to the lack of touchscreen, but the focus peaking is better and auto ISO works a treat in manual mode (less so in aperture priority). The files, however, more than make up for its foibles and the FE55/1.8 is a good enough reason to own one in my book.

The A7 mark II looks like it addresses quite a few niggles (except AF point selection), but not enough for me to want to give up my first gen A7r. I'll skip at least one iteration before I upgrade.

For my use the E-M1 comes out when I speed, flexibility and a forgiving camera. In most situations I shoot IBIS trumps the A7rs high ISO advantage.

the A7r is pure IQ, and a slower, more methodical, more demanding shooting experience. Poor technique? Gone is your megapixel advantage. But it's a wonderfully rewarding camera for candid people shooting and landscapes. The two bodies are about the same size and feel fairly similar in hand, and compleat each other quite perfectly in my book.

I mostly shoot when I travel, and often take bothe bodies along. The Oly with a normal or ultrawide zoom, the Sony with a fast prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    dombi,

For me ultimately the reason I switched was that I found the image quality to superior on the A7. The image stabilization on the new model was the nail in the coffin for the EM1 and I had a friend looking for another camera at he right time.

I am getting less noise at higher ISO which for me is a big bonus and I'm a bokeh whore. I get way more depth of field or lack there of with the full frame sensor.

I favour hand held and available light photography as that is the way my Grandfather taught me. Now that my Grandfather is 89yrs young he is favouring the m4/3 system for its size and weight (he is using my old em5) and I have inherited most of his fast Classic Zuiko glass. Because of all the old glass I'm using I find the focus peaking on the A7 better than the EM1 (I also like that a 21f2 is a 21f2 not a 42f4). I was given an OM2 and a 50mm 1.8 by my Grandfather while I was in grade 10. While that camera is gone I am now able to use all of his old lenses that I used as I learned is rather neat to me.

Things I will miss about the Olympus are the large selection of fast native lenses. It is a great system for glass. My favourites are the 12f2, 25f1.4 and 75f1.8. I will likely pick up a small Olympus at some point when prices drop for use with those three lenses. For now I can be content using my wife's GX7 with them when I get the urge. I also found the autofocus to be insanely quick on the EM1. I took lots of pictures of my kid doing various sports. Will miss that. And the touch screen. Miss that lots! The size is definitely going to be missed. The lenses for the Sony are larger for sure but I think a good compromise for what I'm getting and wanting to do with the camera.

The new A7M2 is on order and is said to be faster in the focus department than the old model and has 5 axis stabilization. The fact that I can get a full frame camera in the size of an EM1 is for me a no brainer. Factor in what I think is better focus peaking and access to all that old glass while the native lenses are being developed it made the most sense for me. My EM1 was still worth some money though I sold it for a bit of a steal to my friends but that's what friends do. My EM1 paid for my A7M2. I'm happy, my wife is happy and my friends are happy. A good deal all around!

I can say one thing though. If someone had not put a full frame in camera the size of the m4/3 I would not own a full frame. I much prefer the size and weight of the smaller system.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    All that matters is that you are happy with where you are going. If the A7 makes you happy and you've found that special something with it, then you are well on your way! :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have to agree with this, I love the Fuji system as well as the Olympus OMD system and I just do not see any advantage for me to own both complete systems for now. I mainly shoot with my EM-1 system when I am shooting with a flash because of the EM-1's flash advantages over the XT-1. I do use my XE-1 when I am out shooting landscapes that require a longer lens than what I have with my Fuji system, but I very rarely use my XT-1.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Both absolutely great reasons for going A7, no argument.
    I'll snap up an old A7 when the price descends even more ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Times are changing....enjoy your A7.

I'm going to wait for the next revision of the A7s to pray for a tad more megapixels. I really dont need 36mp camera. A7mk2 looks very appealing to me at the moment but I've decided to suck it up and stick with my full size dslr for serious paid events and my M43 for good light shooting.

I will now only purchase gear that has similar iso performance to a canon 6d or 5dmk3. A7s is it ........for my secondary casual gear! No rush for more gear at the moment though.....

16. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    All my stuff is casual gear. I take photos for the pure enjoyment of it.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If the E-M1 and 12-40mm was your ideal MFT system, then I can't see how you are going to beat it with an A7 system, as there is no decent lens option to match the 12-40.

18. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    T N Args, you are absolutely correct that the lens selection does not match the m4/3 yet but the m4/3 system did not match the dlsr systems when I go into it either. There are enough good lenses in the system to keep me happy for now. Especially the 55mm 1.8! And the system meets a couple of key items I want in the image quality arena. Who knows I may come back full bore into m4/3 but for now I will enjoy developing my kit and watching this system come of age. Took a while in the m4/3 system as well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sure! I did the same when I migrated from DSLR to MFT: I decided not go get the equivalent 'standard zoom' of my DSLR kit, instead I went for 3 primes to cover that range.

20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I find it interesting that you like the focus peaking on the A7r. On the A7, anyway, I considered that to be one of its worst weaknesses. It was never precise enough when not magnified, and magnification was always too fiddly without a touchscreen. That said, the button-pressing shenanigans and only black & white colours on the E-M1 don't make much of a good counterpoint, so I can see why you wouldn't be impressed on that front. I'm saving for a GX7 (well, waiting for the Canadian prices to come down a bit to somewhere near their US levels), since it has far and away the best manual focus implementation I've used, between the multi-coloured peaking with just the right sensitivity and the picture-in-picture touch magnification to really nail the focus. I know 5-axis IBIS is a lot to give up, but for my money, Panasonic has unbeatable user interfaces that make shooting straightforward and enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1