1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sold my DSLR now need a walkabout lens.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by brutto, Jul 7, 2011.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've been using my E-P1 as a toy alongside my 5D2 for a few months now and realise that I get a heck of a lot more pleasure from the Pen. So I've sold the DSLR and will get an EP-3 when available.

Up until now I've been playing with MF legacy lenses as the kit lens isn't very impressive and found that, while I love them, they are not always practical.

I'm off on a vacation to Italy in a couple of weeks and I'd like to buy one decent walkabout lens, preferably Olympus. Preferably a zoom. What do you recommend? What is my best IQ option? (I'll be taking a couple of Contax MF primes along too.)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi

If you like prime lenses, I think the new 12mm f2 lens is a good choice.

Besides the EPL1, I have 2 other DSLR and I'm thinking of the current ultimate m4/3 set up; the EP3 + 12mm f2 lens, lol.

3. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Definitely a great suggestion! As soon as they are available here (UK) I'll be buying the new primes. Unfortunately, they won't make it in time for my trip.

4. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have several lenses for my E-PL2. The one that I use most of the time is the 14-15mm Zuiko. It is fairly compact, has a great range (28-300mm equiv) and very good optics.

It does have some chromatic aberration at the extremes in high contrast situations, but it is easily corrected in post processing.

If I have to take one lens with me, this is the one.

I also have the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 that slips easily in a pocket or small bag. Great for low light situations or when critical sharpness is needed.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Four-Thirds Zuiko 14-54mm Mark II is an excellent fast standard zoom for the PEN cameras. Slightly slower to Autofocus than one of the new MSC or R lenses, but much faster lens speed than anything available in a Micro Four-Thirds zoom. The Image Quality is superb, and for a fast zoom it is very compact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thank you scarbrd & Ned. I think I'm going to try a 14-150mm as it is a relatively cheap option. The 14-54 mkII is a very interesting idea. I've already decided that if life isn't bearable without an SLR for occasional use, I'd get an E-3 + either 15-54 or 12-60. So that would kill two birds etc.

Ned, are you still happy with your E3? Tempted by an E-5?

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I can attest that the 14-54 is an outstanding lens. It was my walkabout Europe lens last year and it did great almost everywhere. Compared to other m43 lenses it is largish. I think it's a bit bulkier than my 45-200. It's compact given the speed and quality relative to other lenses of similar quality.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Honestly, I like the Image Quality of the E-PL2, which has the same weak AA filter and Image Processor as the E-5, so much that the E-3 doesn't see the light of day. Well, it mostly doesn't see the light of day anymore because I wore out the shutter, lol. However, before that it was only getting brought out for rainy days (literally), and I currently don't have plans on replacing the shutter because the E-PL2 does meet my commercial quality demands better - even though the E-3 was certainly no slouch, and had sufficed fine in the past. Instead, I will wait until I can afford to upgrade to the E-5... unless one of the new PENs tempts me so much that I have to upgrade there instead, lol. I'm very happy with the E-PL2 as a PEN camera, so chances are that my next body will be the E-5. As an Olympus sales coach I have had the chance to play around with the E-5 and enjoy it very much.... It's the perfect E-3 body I loved, with the improved imaging capabilities of the E-PL2 I also love.

If you want to replace the shutter on it (I think that would fall under Olympus' flat rate of $350 or so), then I would sell off my E-3 shell for really cheap. ;) People around here know how rough I am on my cameras, but the E-3 is so tough that there aren't even any marks on it, lol. And before the shutter wore out it was still perfect in operation - no focus issues, or any other issues that some E-3s have.

There is one other body I'm holding onto which I will actually repair, and that is my original silver E-P1 PEN (the LCD is busted). The reason for that is because I just received a beautiful silver Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 Russian rangefinder lens... and damn does it look fine on that E-P1! :cool:

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's funny...I have an E-P1 that I keep mainly as a home for my Jupiter 8. I have no complaint with it but as I use a lot of legacy glass my G2 gets a majority of the work because of the EVF. In all honesty I SHOULD sell the E-P1 but I just have a soft spot for it. I even dressed it up with an Aki-Asahi leatherette kit...it looks really sharp in its new duds.

10. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Yup Aki-Asahi leatherette on mine too. Hope he does one for the EP-3.

Thanks for the feedback on your E-3 Ned. You really do all your commercial work with your E-Pl2?

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1 for the M. Zuiko 14-150ED....I have one & when I want to travel light with one lens, that's the one I bolt on to my E-PL2...

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, absolutely. The E-PL2 is actually more ideal for my kind of work than the E-3 was, to tell you the truth. It's lighter to carry (I shoot non-stop all day sometimes), it takes my eye away from the eye-level viewer (meaning that I can watch my models, interact with people, and get better angles without contorting my body like a pretzel), and it mounts all my pro glass and studio lighting the same way as the E-3 did (except that I'm missing one PC Sync port - oh well). It's no E-5 in body build, but it provides the same image quality at only 1/3 of the cost (I live in the Canadian prairies - we're really hard up here, lol). With the E-P1 I missed my E-3 quite a bit when needing to track fast-moving subjects or when trying to focus in really low light. With the E-PL2 however, I mostly just miss my E-3 when it rains or I want to get in the water to shoot, lol. The clearer LCD, faster response, and better Autofocus of the E-PL2 really helps alleviate the differences from a DSLR. Two years ago the PEN was a sufficient back-up and compact body, but as we continue to advance it's becoming more and more of an alternative option rather than just a backup.

• Like Like x 1
  13. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks Ned. it never occurred to me to look at an EPL-2. It's really that good?

I ordered a 14-150mm today and I think I'll order an EPL-2 tomorrow. I was paid a couple of hours ago for my 5D2 so it'll be like a free camera anyway :biggrin:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's not so much that it's so good, but that it's no better or worse than a DSLR these days. It produces the same results with the same control, but using a different body form which leads to a different style of shooting. Better in some ways, worse in others, but when you step back and look at the big picture it's more or less the same.

To me, the PEN camera spells a sort of freedom which I never had with the DSLR.

• Like Like x 1
  15. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I have an E-PL1 with a 14-150mm m.zuiko and a 20mm panasonic. I found this to be an excellent travel kit. If you're not impressed with the kit zoom, however, the 14-150mm might disappoint at the extremities of it's range. I'm very happy with the IQ but I am perhaps less discerning than some. I have upgraded from a Canon 350D with Tamron 17-50mm and feel I get better images from the E-PL1 with either lens. There are reviews and sample pictures for the 14-150mm in various threads here.

I tend to leave the 20mm on the camera most of the time because it's such a versatile focal length for snapshots and the wider aperture makes it much more usable inside.

16. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    This has been a very helpful thread and I've seen some light as a result of it. The silly camera shop delivered my new 14-150mm today but when I opened the package it contained a 40-150, so that is going straight back. Instead, I'm ordering an E-PL2 and 14-54mm 4/3 lens + adaptor. Two more questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Is the mkII 14-54 much better than the mkI?

2. Is it worth picking up an E-PL2 kit with the 14-42 mkII or just body only? I already have the 14-42 mkI and never use it.

Many thanks.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hey Brutto, I was in my local camera shop yesterday forcing the proprietor (nice fella actually) to let me mount my 14-54MkI (not II) on his e-pL1, e-pL2 and G2. I took my own batteries and cards just in case.
    In each case I couldn't detect any faster focusing than on this (your old) e-P1 body.

I've heard the MkII lens is set up for CD-AF and works much faster, so my advice is not to buy the older MkI lens for your specific purpose.

Another thought would be to try the Lumix 14-45 lens from the G1/GF1 as I've found it to be almost optically as excellent as my Olympus 14-54MkI with of course slower apertures and proper speedy m4/3rds autofocus.