Sold my DSLR - guide me between OMD EM1/5/10.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Viking, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Viking

Viking Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Sweden
    Hello! After the usual presentation, here comes my first post. It's a question you probably heard before but be patient, please. I'm pretty new to m43. Have used the following equipment: Canon EOS 60D, 17-55 / 2.8, 50 / 1.8, 70-200 / 4.0 IS, Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC, Sigma 10-20 / 4-5.6, m42 adapter with Helios M44, Kiron and other vintage lenses. Have sold everything now. Got tired of weight and bulk. Have for a long time had an eye on the m43 and above all, theOlympus OMD EM series. Have been in the local camera store to check out the EM5 / EM10 and EM1. All appeals to me but there are some differences between them. Is it worth buying with the kit lens? Is any body outdated now ... EM5? Grip / ergonomics ..... I have big hands, EM1 feels great in my hands. I could probably live with the grip of EM5 / -10 as well. Many questions and concerns. I shoot in RAW(+JPEG sometimes) and 50% manual / 50% Aperture mode. Center focuspoint or appropriate. PP in LR. Full Auto when wife uses it. Have you downsized from DSLR to any Oly OMD EM? What's your opinion/suggestion? There is no "right" answer/suggestion, I know, but I'm interested of what you say.What do you think about the following options;

Olympus E-M5 + M.Zuiko 14-42 / 3.5-5.6 II R + M.Zuiko 40-150 / 4-5.6 R + M.Zuiko 45 / 1.8 = $ 1,000
    Olympus E-M10 + M.Zuiko 14-42 / 3.5-5.6 II R + M.Zuiko 40-150 / 4-5.6 R = $ 600
    Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 12-50 / 3.5-6.3 EZ = $ 1,350

Thanks in advance -Viking

2. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I downsized from a DSLR. First I added a Pen and consequently fell in love with smaller cameras. Now I have an EM1 and EM5. Most prefer the grip of an EM1, but I prefer the grip of the EM5 (without additional grip). The handling of the EM1 is a bit better, due to better button placement. For me, the EM1 is a zoom camera (I bought it specifically for the 12-40 and 40-150). I much prefer using the EM5 when I am using the smaller primes (of which I have the O12, O17, PL25, O45, O75). Of the kit lenses I only have experience with the 12-50. People don't tend to favor this lens, but it is better than its reputation. And it's pretty small for the zoom range and the weather sealing. Personally, I all I could say in negative of this lens is that I never got to like the zoom ring. As I am someone who shoots primarily with primes in this focal length, the 12-50 just isn't my cup of tea. The 45 on the other hand is excellent, especially for its price. The 40-150R has a very good reputation, but as I said, I don't have any personal experience with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    You need to touch and feel them, they are all different.

For me, the EM1 is fantastic and about as small as I want to go. I found the EM5 and EM10 too small to hold without having to grip them tighter, whereas the EM1 can hang from my finger tips quite easily.

But then I like a bit of a grip to a camera....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Viking

Viking Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Sweden
    -Thanks marlof! Do you actually have the 12-40/2.8? If so, how do you find it on the EM5? As you seem like a prime shooter; what would you recommend/ consider is the three primes worth buying?

5. Viking

Viking Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Sweden
    -Hi and thanks! Yes, thats my concern to. I have big, I mean b_i_g hands and could probably hide a EM5/10 in my palm. I've been playing around with them all and the EM1 size/grip fits me best. I could probably get along with the others to but I'm worried in the long run. In somehow it feels more confident with a "bigger" grip. I haven't tried EM5/10 with the optional grips. Eventually I would also buy the 12-40/2.8 and the EM1 would probably handle that better.......decisions,decisions. Anyway, thanks so far!

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Remember, the E-M1 and a 12-40mm zoom may be fairly close in size and weight to your old DSLR. Now, having said that, it's a great piece of kit and it sounds like it may work well for you. Many people look at micro four thirds because they want smaller and lighter. So the E-M5 and E-M10 might be better for them. The E-M5 can be purchased at very friendly prices right now - because an E-M5 II is on the way. But an E-M5 plus grip would be less expensive than an E-M1 right now. Check out Olympus's refurbished store for even better deals:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet_store

EDIT: Oops, sorry Viking - you're in Sweden and that's Olympus's U.S. site.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    All your options have the poorer lenses. I would start by making the decision to get the best lens, the 12-40.
    Only then decide which camera to get. (E-M1 in my case.)
    In my case the E-M1 plus the 12-40 was half the weight of my DSLR with a good zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I have the E-M10 and it works really well with the 12-40. It's a great combination for both size and performance and you can always use a small prime or the EZ zoom when you need something more pocketable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    If you are used to optical view finder, then the E-M1 is very close to that with its high resolution, larger magnification EVF. It is far better than the one on other OM-D's. Also the handling is better. The size and the price might be limitations so it would be best for you to go and try them in a camera store.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    To me, even the large M43 cameras are smaller than the Canon APS-C camera I came from. And none of them, save possibly the GM1/5 are pocketable for me. When I first came to M43, I thought I could get a pocketable camera, but the E-PM1 with the kit lens didn't fit in any of my pants pockets. So, when I realized I would need to carry the camera in a bag of some sort anyway, I went with one that was easier for me to hold and that I liked using better. For me that turned out to be a Panasonic G5. So, I can't really help you which Olympus body to get, except to say that I think that even the EM-1 is noticeably smaller than your former Canon camera, especially with the 17-55 on it, which is not a small lens.

I think you'll get great IQ out of any of the Oly cameras. I have found I really like primes in the M43 world, and three I really like are the P14, PL25, and O45. You could save some money and get the O25 instead of the PL25 if you want. You can usually get the P14 used at good price if you look around. The kit zooms are OK, not great. A used P14-45 I think is the best buy among the kit zooms. The O40-15 punches above it's weight in my opinion. Very cheaply made, but very good IQ for the price.

I hope this helped in some way. Best of luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I moved from 7D and 17-55 to m43 about a year ago. I originally bought the EM10 and various lenses in my signature (other than the 12-40). Only had a variable aperture zoom. Was very impressed with the performance of the EM10 especially with primes. Only down side was slow focus when tracking moving subjects.

I have been craving a fixed 2.8 lens as that's what I was used to shooting with on my 7D. The 12-40 is pretty much the only option there.

I recently held the EM10 with the 12-40 and for me...just did not feel well balanced. So, I decided to hold the EM1 and it just felt right. It's like holding a really small and light dslr. And yes, much lighter than the Canon with the 17-55 lens.

The EM-1 also has a much better focus system...another reason why I changed over. It's not dslr tracking focus....but pretty good.

Don't regret this upgrade one bit, even though I loved my EM10.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Former D700/D300/D200/D100 user here...I agree with the post quoted above. Although not technically its most impressive feature, the EVF in the E-M1 is so strikingly good that although I still love my E-M5 and am fully pleased with the photos it produces, the E-M1 is much more pleasant to use.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I also come from having Canon gear (7d, 60d, 17-55, 70-200 f4, 10-22, etc flashes etc)

I prefer the EM1. Nicer EVF and you can also use the EVF to review your shots when in bright light (this can be done on the EM5 but you have to turn off the screen and other things to manage this) but any of the three cameras is great. EM1 would be better if you contemplate doing any continuous focus ... it just offers more as it has phase detect along with contrast detect. The price of the others increases when you have to add a grip of some kind so take that into consideration when pricing. I have a JBL grip on my EM5 as I like something to hold onto.

For a light kit:

Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 -- if you want a couple of primes ... Oly 25mm f1.8 and Oly 45mm f1.8

For a slightly larger kit
    Olympus 12-40 f2.8, Olympus 40-150mm f1.8 -- same primes as above

Don't use a tele much then swap to the cheap 40-150 kit zoom which has great image sharpness and is extremely light but I would alway recommend either of the fast zooms for a walk around lens (especially seeing what you have come from). The Oly 12-40 can focus very close so if you're not into macro it would probably be all you need. Same with new Oly 40-150.

Go over to camerasize.com and look at some of the combinations you are interested in and it will tell you the size and weight and you get a visual of them which is nice.

Lots to choose from. Can't go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Further ... you come from constant aperture glass.
    Are you sure you would be happy with a variable aperture in those kits you have suggested???

• Like Like x 1
  15. lucifer06

lucifer06 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    I too came from Canon 7D + 24-70 f2.8 + 11-16 f2.8. Now owned EM1 + PL15 + O25 + O45 with macro adapter. Switched because of weight too. Good grip like a DSLR minus the weight ans size. Good picture quality too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    It's a no-brainer.......E-M1

• Like Like x 1
  17. Viking

Viking Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Sweden
    Hello everyone and thanks for the comments! It is interesting to read about how you perceive the different models. Regarding the fixed aperture lenses, I really prefer these. Canon EF-S 17-55 / 2.8 IS USM was the best I've used, much better than the Sigma 17-70 DC OS HSM which I also used. The different options that I mentioned in the beginning was based on deals where the lenses are included. Price difference from just buying body is negligible. But I have a feeling that I want to have the 12-40 / 2.8 lens, sooner or later. Concerning the choice of body ... I will drive to the camera store again, today, to get an idea of what really suits me. From what I've read here .... the EM1 has a slight edge for now. We'll see when I've compared them all again today. Hopefully I can make a decision....

18. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    What about the E-M1 ($1200) and the ZD 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 (version 1: trending at $125 on eBay currently)?

Then you'd have the benefit of the best current body but still have a pro-level kit lens (which will outlive the body by a good margin).

19. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    depends how much you want to cut down weight/size, and whether weather sealing is important for you?

As someone mentioned previously EM1 + 12-40, while a great combo is not huge reduction in size from your 60d + 17-55.
    I use the em5 + 12-40 (no grip), and I find the 12-40 a little unbalanced on the em5. I still use this combo because there are times when a zoom is more convienent. I prefer the image quality from the 12-40 over the panasonic 12-35mm. The panasonic 12-35 would be a better size for the em5 or the em10.

If weather sealing is not important, I'd strongly consider the em10 over the em5. I feel the em5 has some quirks, that have probably been improved in the em10. You can also add grips to em10 and em5, as needed.

So in summary;
    if weather sealing is important, and size less of an issue - em1
    Weather sealing not important, small size is preferred - em10
    I'd only consider the em5, if you after a weather sealed body on a budget.

You can start off with the kit zooms and upgrade as budget permits. A fast prime would be worth while considering.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    If you are ever going to use 12-40mm 2.8 Zuiko lens, then I strongly suggest a good add-on grip for E-M5 or E-M10. Still, I don't think the 12-40 is very large lens for what it is. It is probably as good or even better in image quality than the best 24-70 zooms on other systems and it's only 2/3 the weight of the EF-S 17-55 / 2.8 IS USM. And E-M1 is by the way a little smaller than E-M5+Olympus add-on horizontal grip. Oh and here is a little more fuel for your GAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Omqui0SoI

• Like Like x 2