Sold my APSC camera for Olympus Pen-F

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
Welcome from another Pen-F user! :Welcome:
That is a very nice kit with a lot of those lenses handling very nicely on the F, especially the 17/45/75 f1.8 primes, with the 75mm more or less being my favourite, although the 17 1.8 is very close second.

If you like to read a bit more avout the possibilities with the Color Profiles, I recommend checking out this thread:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/my-kodachrome-classic-chrome-pen-f-settings-update.92950/
GarethB's Kodachrome 25 inspired profile is quite popular, also fellow mu-43 user BushmanOrig has a dedicated blog where he shares his own profiles and more knowledge about the camera:
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/p/olympus-pen-f-color-profiles.html?m=1
I've read his posts several times and still can't wrap my head around how you can get 9 profiles each assigned to C1 and C2. Then again, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I've read his posts several times and still can't wrap my head around how you can get 9 profiles each assigned to C1 and C2. Then again, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
I'll try to explain it:
For both Monchrome and Color the camera has three Profiles, which can be customized. The PASM modes share the same profiles, so regardless if you are shooting in "A" or "M", Color Profile 3 for example will always be the same.
With the Custom modes hower, you can save a different set of Profiles for C1, C2, C3 and C4 each. So in pure theory, you can have a total of 15 Profiles (3 via PASM, 3x4 via C1-C4). In order to do this, you setup a C-Mode the way you want, customize the Color or Mono Profile to your liking and save it for C1. Now you customize the next set of Profiles and save it for C2 and so on.

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
I'll try to explain it:
For both Monchrome and Color the camera has three Profiles, which can be customized. The PASM modes share the same profiles, so regardless if you are shooting in "A" or "M", Color Profile 3 for example will always be the same.
With the Custom modes hower, you can save a different set of Profiles for C1, C2, C3 and C4 each. So in pure theory, you can have a total of 15 Profiles (3 via PASM, 3x4 via C1-C4). In order to do this, you setup a C-Mode the way you want, customize the Color or Mono Profile to your liking and save it for C1. Now you customize the next set of Profiles and save it for C2 and so on.
Thank you for taking the time to try and explain it to me...however, I'm still not grasping the concept of how you can have more than 1 group of settings per C mode available to pull up at any given time.

Real Name
Andrew L
I think it means that while the physical switch has 3 modes available for mono or color, but that when you use saved C profiles, those 3 modes can be different. Much like the physical 1-2 switch on some Olympus bodies, it basically allows the camera to function in some ways like a totally different camera (or differently customized camera).

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Thank you for taking the time to try and explain it to me...however, I'm still not grasping the concept of how you can have more than 1 group of settings per C mode available to pull up at any given time.
Essentially what @agentlossing has said: You never can have more than three actual Color or Monochrome Profiles at a time, but you can get around by it in a way by "absuing" the C1-C4 modes in order to create profile sets different from the PASM one.

I agree though, the sentence is fairly confusing:
"That leaves C1 and C2 open to save your preferred camera configurations and any additional color and monochrome profiles. This enables you to save up to 9 additional colors and 9 additional monochrome profiles."
C1 and C2 of course only offer six additional slots (3+3), I guess Siegfried was taking the PASM profile set into account, which would result in a total of nine different profile slots by switching between PASM, C1 and C2. The key takeaway is you are indeed able to use more than three Color Profiles on your Pen-F:
For example on my camera, the PASM profile set is still on the Olympus default, so when shooting A or M, I still have that default set. On C1 I'm using GarethB's Kodachrome 25, his experimental Kodachrome 64 and a Portra 400 profile I've found on the web. For C2 I'm using Siegfried's Kodachrome profiles (which differ greatly from GarethB's) as well as his Portra 160 VC profile.

So that's nine different profiles in total I can quickly change between by using the Mode Dial on top of the camera.

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
Essentially what @agentlossing has said: You never can have more than three actual Color or Monochrome Profiles at a time, but you can get around by it in a way by "absuing" the C1-C4 modes in order to create profile sets different from the PASM one.

I agree though, the sentence is fairly confusing:
"That leaves C1 and C2 open to save your preferred camera configurations and any additional color and monochrome profiles. This enables you to save up to 9 additional colors and 9 additional monochrome profiles."
C1 and C2 of course only offer six additional slots (3+3), I guess Siegfried was taking the PASM profile set into account, which would result in a total of nine different profile slots by switching between PASM, C1 and C2. The key takeaway is you are indeed able to use more than three Color Profiles on your Pen-F:
For example on my camera, the PASM profile set is still on the Olympus default, so when shooting A or M, I still have that default set. On C1 I'm using GarethB's Kodachrome 25, his experimental Kodachrome 64 and a Portra 400 profile I've found on the web. For C2 I'm using Siegfried's Kodachrome profiles (which differ greatly from GarethB's) as well as his Portra 160 VC profile.

So that's nine different profiles in total I can quickly change between by using the Mode Dial on top of the camera.
Again, thank you (and to you too agentlossing) for attempting to clarify this for me. I'll just accept the fact that the concept you are trying to convey to me is beyond my mental capacity to grasp. Perhaps if I saw a video showing exactly what you are saying I might comprehend it better.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Again, thank you (and to you too agentlossing) for attempting to clarify this for me. I'll just accept the fact that the concept you are trying to convey to me is beyond my mental capacity to grasp. Perhaps if I saw a video showing exactly what you are saying I might comprehend it better.

Were you finding it confusing on how you switch between (eg) C1a, C1b, C1c? If so, I joined the club, too. :blush: However, I think there is a second physical switch that controls the a,b,c. If that's not it, then I'm still off in the weeds as well.

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
Were you finding it confusing on how you switch between (eg) C1a, C1b, C1c? If so, I joined the club, too. :blush: However, I think there is a second physical switch that controls the a,b,c. If that's not it, then I'm still off in the weeds as well.
I’m not sure. I just know that when I move the dial to C1 for example it is ready with whatever parameters I set up. Now sure I can make adjustment to those parameters to get a different result. If there is some subset menu (I.e. C1a, C1b, C1c ) I don’t know about it. It’s probably a simple process but one I can’t grasp via language only. I do much better with visual instruction.

XperiaTizen

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you. Yes, I really enjoyed shooting with Olympus cameras more than with my previous Sony A6400 and Sony ZV-1. Despite the collection, 80% of the time I'm still using my favorite lens Olympus 45mm F1.2 😁
Welcome! I own both a e-m10 II and Pen-F an enjoy them both very much. Your collection of lenses is very comprehensive and should serve you well in a wide variety of photographic situations.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I’m not sure. I just know that when I move the dial to C1 for example it is ready with whatever parameters I set up. Now sure I can make adjustment to those parameters to get a different result. If there is some subset menu (I.e. C1a, C1b, C1c ) I don’t know about it. It’s probably a simple process but one I can’t grasp via language only. I do much better with visual instruction.
You might want to watch this video by Rob Trek, it is a bit lengthy but he shows an easy to follow step-by-step guide on how to customize Color Profiles and saving them on C-Modes.
How to dial in Kodachrome 25

Last edited:

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
It gets frustrating when VDO can't be watched

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
It gets frustrating when VDO can't be watched
Right click on the "broken" video, copy the URL and paste into a new browser window. Works for me :)

I'm seeing this behaviour in other websites so assume something has changed at the Youtube end to break the embedded videos.

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
You might want to watch this video by Rob Trek, it is a bit lengthy but he shows an easy to follow step-by-step guide on how to customize Color Profiles and saving them on C-Modes.
How to dial in Kodachrome 25
I’ve seen Rob’s video before. I don’t have any problem customizing a color profile. My difficulty is understanding how you can have more than 1 profile per C setting on the mode dial.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I’ve seen Rob’s video before. I don’t have any problem customizing a color profile. My difficulty is understanding how you can have more than 1 profile per C setting on the mode dial.
You always have more than one profile for both Color and Monochrome modes: Open the Super Control Panel and on the upper right you have a Profile setting, in which you can change between Profile 1, Profile 2 and Profile 3. Edit each profile to your liking and save the desired C-Mode once you're done. The camera even remembers which Color/Mono Profile is selected once you enter the assigned C-Mode. For example if you save C1 with Color Profile 3 active, that's the one which is selected by default if you turn the dial to C1.

penf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus also has more information on the default three profiles/presets on their dedicated Pen-F information page:
https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/penf/gallery/

XperiaTizen

Mu-43 Regular
Additional photo for beautiful comparison 😉

20210822_135221-02.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom