1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Solar-powered Chargers for E-M1/5 batteries

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Roger.Cavanagh, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    I don't know enough electrical stuff to know what might work or not. Does anyone have a recommendations for a portable system that would work with the BLN-1?

Thanks,

Roger

2. DaveG

DaveG Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Vancouver
    Good question, I lost the charge for my old Fuji point-n-shoot, I ended up getting a 'universal' charger that has a USB end on it. Which should work for most solar chargers. Worked great for that old camera, but curious if it'd work with the Olympus (don't wanna risk messing up the battery for my OM-D trying it).

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...ine&category=Battery+Chargers&product=2319419

3. Roger.Cavanagh

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    That's quite a clever idea, but the blurb specifically mentions 3.7v lithium batteries. The BLN-1 says 7.6v on the back; so I'm guessing not compatible.

4. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I have a third-party charger for my E-M5 batteries and it has a 12V jack on it for a car adapter. Many of the solar-charged batteries are capable of a 12V output. I have an industrial-grade ruggedized solar array, charge converter, and battery with switchable (12V, 14V, 16V, and 19V) output as well as USB (5V fixed) output. I use it for my job, and I don't know where you could buy it, but I seem to remember Goal Zero making some kits capable of powering a laptop (many are 12V). You could check with them.

I must warn you though that it would take many, many solar recharges to make the weight of the solar gear worth it over just taking a ton of charged extra batteries (cheaply available on Ebay and Amazon).

5. Roger.Cavanagh

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    I did wonder. :) Thanks for the info.