Solar eclipse- 2017

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Underwater, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Anyone here making plans for this August? I'd love to hear about them, and I'll bet many of us could benefit from other's experiences with filters, etc.

My home in Oregon is less than an hour away from the totality path, so I've already got the day off and a cabin reserved at Clear Lake in the Cascades. I chose this location for a couple of reasons. It's in the Cascades, so the elevation should mitigate haze somewhat (all bets are off if there's any forest fires- in which case, I have plans B through M). Secondly, with an ancient sunken forest and visibility over 100', Clear Lake is known as one of the better fresh water dives in the US. I plan on setting up my underwater rig to take a landscape time lapse for as long as the battery lasts in the 37-degree water. I'll be onshore shooting the sun with either my 50-200SWD or 150 2.0/EC-20 combination- I plan on experimenting between now and then to figure out which one I want. Heck- this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity, so maybe a third body is order...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tywais

Tywais Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Mike
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's in my back yard! I am looking forward to it!

I don't know that I will be photographing it, just enjoying the show.